Weird fuel pump problem?!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlopes

Reaction score
Ok, here is my problem. I changed my gauge bulbs with LED's from superbrightled.com. All of a sudden, my fuel pump would not prime the carbs when I turned the key. I tested all of the LED's and they worked fine. I also put them in different sockets and had the same problem. I took out the fuel light LED and put the original bulb. The pump started working as it should. WTF? Should I use a resistor? Is the LED introducing too much resistance? This is driving me crazy!! Can anyone help me?

An LED is a diode which is a one way valve for electricity, i.e. it lets current flow in one direction but not the other. I don't have a wiring diagram to look at to see if and how the fuel light is tied into the fuel pump circuit but it may be used to energize a circuit to turn on the fuel pump. If this is the case, you may have to stick with an incandescent bulb since it allows current flow in both directions.

Yeah, replacing fuel lamp with LED isn't that simple. Vmaxchat.com used to have a circuit diagram for that mod but I can't find it.

Easiest fix is to wire the original bulb in with the LED and just put the original bulb somewhere in the housing with the rest of the wires.

Should I add a 5 ohm 3 watt resistor or a 12V diode in between the two light wires? Would that allow the fuel pump to get power?

I'm not an electrician so you'd have to figure out the resistance of the OEM bulb and simulate that with your resistor.

Back