weird motor noise??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jpvmax

Reaction score
Just got my 98 and am enjoying the hell out it already just wondering do these motors always make a howling whinny sound when running? are they really not a quiet running motor? one more thing what would you guys say would be the easiest cheapest power upgrade or easy boost? sorry about all dumb random questions but pretty excited about getting bike wish i wouldve had it all summer weather gonna start changing soon here, thanks for tips and advise:punk:

no i realized i should put it in the right forum so i did post it again, just trying to get use to the site here

When modifiying your Max I recommend the following order of doing the changes:

1) Handling and braking
2) Power upgrades (if wanted)
3) Appearance and comfort changes

The last two are interchangeable as are the first and last. 1 & 2 are not in my opinion. What good is more power if your bike handles awful and can't stop:confused2: First mods in my mind should be SS brake lines, Progressive fork springs, and new rear shocks if not done already.

As for cheap power upgrades, there really are no cheap ways to get power. You can add an full exhaust and a jet kit (highly recommend Sean Morley's Muscle jet kit) for around $1k, depending upon which exhaust you choose (they can range from ~$500-$1,500 depending upon what you buy). Used exhausts do come up here from time to time for good prices. Other than adding NOS you are not going to add any more power unless you crack the engine and do a big bore, which will run well into the thousands of dollars.

Hope this helps.

no it sounds like its internal its a sound ive heard in a yamaha before i think

went to a Yamaha dealer today they said the noise is a little clutch whine and he thought someone might have done something with the air box, i told him the only thing i knew that was differnt was the KN filter other then that he said it was a great bike

Back