WEIRD stator voltage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

des max

Reaction score
hey guys quick question. I tested the three stator wires tonight doing the 3 wire combos using ac volts and at idle it read 11 across all 3 and would not go higher in fact when I revved the throttle to around 4k the reading actually went down to around 8.5 any thoughts I have been having a issues with a full electrical load on I just bought and installed this stator hoping it would fix it. it did and now I have these readings. any thoughts? thanks for the help guys

Did you test the 3 wires open ended or were they connected to the regulator/rec?......................Tom.

I have it hooked up to a MOSFET r/r thru spade connectors so I put the probes directly on the spade connectors

this is a correction to my earlier post installing the new stator which is now giving these readings did NOT fix my problem I am still having an issue at idle with everything on

I think to check the stator voltage the leads need to be disconnected from the harness to relate to the factory test numbers.

ok I have the stator wires soldered to female spade connectors which than just connect to the male spade ends on the r/r so I just touched the female spade connectors coming from the stator with the probes while they were connected to the r/r male ends but the probes did not touch the r/r part of the connection. do I need to completely disconnect them to get an accurate reading?

hey guys quick question. I tested the three stator wires tonight doing the 3 wire combos using ac volts and at idle it read 11 across all 3 and would not go higher in fact when I revved the throttle to around 4k the reading actually went down to around 8.5 any thoughts I have been having a issues with a full electrical load on I just bought and installed this stator hoping it would fix it. it did and now I have these readings. any thoughts? thanks for the help guys

I just put a new stator in my bike a couple of weeks ago & my readings were 10.4 on each. At that point I don't think my old stator was bad it ended up being the voltage regulator.

Dave

ok I have the stator wires soldered to female spade connectors which than just connect to the male spade ends on the r/r so I just touched the female spade connectors coming from the stator with the probes while they were connected to the r/r male ends but the probes did not touch the r/r part of the connection. do I need to completely disconnect them to get an accurate reading?

Des - Yes, the wires have to be completely disconnected.
Readings should be 50 volts A.C. or more, when revving the engine, and all three readings should be within a few volts of each other.
Cheers!

ok guys finally got to work on the bike I tested the stator the correct way and it tested good! however when I soldered the new rr to the stator and battery and checked voltage across the battery it got worse now when I run everything the voltage drops to 11.5. I am at a loss for words the regulator is the new style oem one from Sean. maybe I got a bad one? I don't know where to go now. and here in Iowa were running out of riding season real quick. thanks for any help guys really appreciate it. I don't know where I'd be without this forum

How old is your battery, and what type is it?
In any case, take it to an auto supply shop, and have it load-tested. This is usually a free service.
Cheers!

hey miles it's an Agm I've had it load tested multiple times recently and it's perfect

hey miles it's an Agm I've had it load tested multiple times recently and it's perfect

Groovy. Then you can assume the battery is not the bad actor.
And you've tested your stator, for A.C. voltage, resistance , and ground shorts,( both cold and hot?)
If all the above showed good results, I'd suspect that your new RR is misbehaving.
All, of course, dependent on all the positive and ground connections being good.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back