Welcome to the future

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
One day, Tesla, or another manufacturer will make electric motorcycles so it this the sort of nonsense we can expect

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306
An app to unlock your car? Madness. I'd also be concerned the app is monitoring my movements and the ability to turn off my car, and perhaps being able to steer it to the nearest police station with me locked inside because I swore at the radio.

anything 'smart' is only really good for allowing others to hack you and track you

I'm no fan of Tesla, but that article is moronic.

You don't need the app to run your Tesla. It's a gadget that you can use to play with it. Nothing more.

You get a key card to run your Tesla. It's about the size of a credit card and does everything you need to run the car. Just because some idiots left their key cards at home and went with using a cell phone that could lose signal at any moment and render their car useless is no reason to blame Tesla.

Biden's multi trillion dollar bill will require smart interlock technology built into cars for detecting the presence of alcohol. The bill gives NHTSA the authority to finalize these new technology rules within three years. It also gives automakers at least two years to produce and manufacture the technology. "...In 2019, Volvo announced it would install in-car cameras and sensors to monitor drivers for signs of intoxication and distraction, according to CNBC. Nissan also previously announced it had developed a concept car that had multiple drunk-driving preventative features. That included built-in alcohol sensors on it’s shift knob that could detect a driver’s perspiration while driving, a camera that analyzed a driver’s state of consciousness through signs of drowsiness and a system that could sense if the vehicle was drifting out of its driving lane..."
Amazon has installed driver surveillance cameras in their deliver vehicles. Amazon delivery drivers say surveillance cameras installed in their vans have made them lose income for reasons beyond their control by mis-identifying driver movements. The cameras also detect the driver's eye movements to see where they are focusing their gaze.

With these new technologies baked into vehicles, how easy would it be to give police or any law enforcement agency the ability to take control of a car, activate the brakes, switch it off, and unlock the doors?

....a camera that analyzed a driver’s state of consciousness through signs of drowsiness and a system that could sense if the vehicle was drifting out of its driving lane..."

We (in the EU at least) have that technology already; my car (Mercedes A200) will alert me if it thinks I need a break, give haptic feedback if it senses I'm drifting out of lane and will apply the brakes if it senses a collision is imminent.
My car also knows where I am at any given time so should I be involved in an accident it can alert the emergency services.
IMO none of the above are a bad idea especially if it protects other road users from me. In principle I wouldn't have any issue if the car was immobilised if the driver was over the drink drive limit.

With these new technologies baked into vehicles, how easy would it be to give police or any law enforcement agency the ability to take control of a car, activate the brakes, switch it off, and unlock the doors?

If the driver is performing so badly and there is a potential risk to life is that a bad thing?

My 1988 Chevrolet truck...100% electronically unhackable. An EMP could fry the electronics in it. But I have 4 backup ECMs, new starter, new alternator and I think 3 distributor systems. In an hour, I'll be back on the road again. My 2004 though....more electronics in there that I care to admit. Gen 1, like my 1988, mostly an idiot when it comes to the electronics. The Gen 2, more electronics that I care to admit. The mini bike though....EMP proof. Cant really mess up those magnetos.

My 1988 Chevrolet truck...100% electronically unhackable. An EMP could fry the electronics in it. But I have 4 backup ECMs, new starter, new alternator and I think 3 distributor systems. In an hour, I'll be back on the road again. My 2004 though....more electronics in there that I care to admit. Gen 1, like my 1988, mostly an idiot when it comes to the electronics. The Gen 2, more electronics that I care to admit. The mini bike though....EMP proof. Cant really mess up those magnetos.

In all my years in the automotive industry I have never heard of an electro magnetic pulse (EMP) damaging electronics although we once had an issue with radio reception which we suspected was due to EMP but couldn't prove it.
In my experience electronic components either fail early on or else go on for ever. It's the mechanical connections that can be the weak point. That said compare to what's fitted now with what is on the (say) Gen I and even that issue is largely a thing of the past.

I used to do some 50K a year for some twenty years in vehicles with minimal electronics to those that controlled almost everything. In that time I had two breakdowns, one was a broken alternator belt and the other was a foreign body in a distributor, both mechanical failures. The electronics always behaved themselves.

Biden's multi trillion dollar bill will require smart interlock technology built into cars for detecting the presence of alcohol. The bill gives NHTSA the authority to finalize these new technology rules within three years. It also gives automakers at least two years to produce and manufacture the technology. "...In 2019, Volvo announced it would install in-car cameras and sensors to monitor drivers for signs of intoxication and distraction, according to CNBC. Nissan also previously announced it had developed a concept car that had multiple drunk-driving preventative features. That included built-in alcohol sensors on it’s shift knob that could detect a driver’s perspiration while driving, a camera that analyzed a driver’s state of consciousness through signs of drowsiness and a system that could sense if the vehicle was drifting out of its driving lane..."
Amazon has installed driver surveillance cameras in their deliver vehicles. Amazon delivery drivers say surveillance cameras installed in their vans have made them lose income for reasons beyond their control by mis-identifying driver movements. The cameras also detect the driver's eye movements to see where they are focusing their gaze.

How much will it cost?? F-IT!

The military and some law enforcement have electronic 'guns' capable of frying electronics to disable whatever is the target. No, I know nothing about the protections against such a weapon, such-as what type of shielding would be needed to prevent such an electronic weapon.

Wait til your wife wants you dead and some kid hacks in for a couple bucks and runs under an 18-wheeler at 100.

Last edited:
Hi again all
Just spent the whole day bleeding my front brake at the end still till had no lever pressure the pads where locked on . At a bit of a loss to figure out why pulled out all the pistons cleaned and lubed seals were good braided lines in good nik any ideas.

Not sure this is the correct thread to post your query.

What do you mean by no pressure? Does a) the brake lever go all the way to the bar or b) the brake feels spongy?

If a) then the seal in the master cylinder has failed
If b) there is air in the system.

To bleed
  • pull brake lever
  • open bleed screw, allow lever to reach the bars and hold it there
  • close bleed screw
  • release lever ensuring that the reservoir is never empty.
Repeat on both sides.

This has never failed for me but sooner or later FM will come along to describe reverse bleeding, so you can try that method.

That technology has existed for years. Cadillac has been equipped with it since the early 2000's. (Not the self driving part, but turning the car off, unlocking your doors and activating the braking system.) It's part of their stolen car and accident aid protection with Onstar.

That technology has existed for years. Cadillac has been equipped with it since the early 2000's. (Not the self driving part, but turning the car off, unlocking your doors and activating the braking system.) It's part of their stolen car and accident aid protection with Onstar.
My newest vehicle is 1999, so I'm not worried too much... I did some digging and law enforcement has been cartapping via Onstar for over 20 years... Looks like Onstar can shut down the ignition, but only after the owner reports it stolen or gives permission to shut it down for the police. Although, I'm sure the cops can request an emergency override directly to Onstar.

My newest vehicle is 1999, so I'm not worried too much
The original McLaren F1 had all of that technology and more from 1992. In fact, you didn't have to take it in to the dealer for a tune up. They could do it remotely. Still do.

Not sure this is the correct thread to post your query.

What do you mean by no pressure? Does a) the brake lever go all the way to the bar or b) the brake feels spongy?

If a) then the seal in the master cylinder has failed
If b) there is air in the system.

To bleed
  • pull brake lever
  • open bleed screw, allow lever to reach the bars and hold it there
  • close bleed screw
  • release lever ensuring that the reservoir is never empty.
Repeat on both sides.

This has never failed for me but sooner or later FM will come along to describe reverse bleeding, so you can try that method.
Found the problem the double banjo at the master was retaining air simple yet illusive .Is there a particular thread as I am a newby to this forum .Thanks for your insight much appreciated

I see your dilemma, there is no specific forum for brakes, Mods fix it!!!!!

So perhaps General V-Max (1st Gen) Discussions or Wheels, tyres and suspension would be more suitable.

You mention double banjo at the master, which implies you have after market brake lines, one line running to each calliper (OEM has one line from master to a splitter, then one line from splitter to each calliper).

The 3 line vs 2 line advantage/disadvantage has been discussed with the conclusion being there is no difference in performance but it appears that there may be difficulty in bleeding.

You found the problem but can you share how you resolved it?

when I have that problem I squeeze and hold the lever then slightly loosen the banjo bolt to let the air out, then tighten it up again before releasing the lever, repeat if needed

Latest posts

Back