Weld on mounts for brace bars.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
I'm about to make a start on my frame brace bars.
Concern is my weld on mounts may interfere with motor removal.
Any recommendations ?

The ones John Furbur sells don't stick out much. You can buy just the brackets from him, but I think you can fab your own from what I've seen, Sharky.

Thanks mate
I've got the parts to use..just wary of making it any harder to get motor out.
I'll have to do more googling

I just installed some weld on RMS frame braces and I don't think the weld on tabs I had made will interfere with getting the engine out if I ever need to.
And if you move them an inch or so higher up than I have them you'd have even more clearance.

Attachments

• DSCF5716.jpg
    DSCF5716.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF5717.jpg
    DSCF5717.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 31
MARRY CHRISTMAS,

I had the same question, and the answer is....not at alll!

If you look close at the pic, the exhaust valve cam area of my engines rear bank.

You can see were I welded the tab for the bolt, that area gives the best triangulation.

RMS is what I have too, with the solid motor mounts my bike runs SOLID, no weave

or wobble. I have a 3" extended swingarm with a 300 out back and had felt the "wet

noodle" effect before the bars and mounts. The bars and solid mounts are a very

effective mod for any gen1 Vmax.

Attachments

• 20150625_203205.jpg
    20150625_203205.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 28
I have the RMS weld on tabs and I am getting ready to pull my motor to re-paint it. I will take some pics and let you know if there is any problems.

I'm about to make a start on my frame brace bars.
Concern is my weld on mounts may interfere with motor removal.
Any recommendations ?

With your design and fabrication skills, why not use bolt-on clamps (two half-moons with bolts thru the ears). If robust enough (6mm bar thickness?), I'm sure this would rival the strength of welded tabs. And wouldn't the frame stiffening effect be more a function of the bar itself, and the placement within the frame triangle?
A mechanical engineer would hop at a chance to answer a question like this!
Another thing to consider - if the tubular frame was originally designed to flex to some extent, and stiffeners are later added, doesn't this introduced potential stress points, which may crack? Again, a good question for a professional.
Of course, bolted tabs would give you the option of changing the placement easily, and not interfering with engine removal.
Personally, regardless of their effectiveness, I'm not a big fan of frame braces. They distract too much from the looks of a beautiful engine. Whether black or chrome, even to a casual observer they scream "bolt-on accessory!"
It's too bad the Yammy engineers had not originally designed a frame to match the potential of the engine. But it took many manufacturers some time to catch up with frame design(think boxed aluminum), following the advent of ultra-hp motors.
Cheers!

Nope I have his braces an mounts an it is tight but I have had the motor out more than once

Solid motor mounts and swingarm bracing stiffen the bike enough to forget about frame braces.

I wanted to get rid of the "tail wagging" on my bike. I started with solid mounts which helped. I contemplated frame braces but really did not want them. I opted for swingarm bracing instead. It made a HUGE difference. If someone wants to stiffen their vmax, this would be my first recommendation.

Solid motor mounts and swingarm bracing stiffen the bike enough to forget about frame braces.

I wanted to get rid of the "tail wagging" on my bike. I started with solid mounts which helped. I contemplated frame braces but really did not want them. I opted for swingarm bracing instead. It made a HUGE difference. If someone wants to stiffen their vmax, this would be my first recommendation.

But from most accounts, solid motor mounts increase the vibration reaching the pegs and handlebars.
Has anyone tried isolating the pegs and bars, AFTER installing solid mounts?
Cheers!

But from most accounts, solid motor mounts increase the vibration reaching the pegs and handlebars.
Has anyone tried isolating the pegs and bars, AFTER installing solid mounts?
Cheers!

With the Delrin mounts the vibration is minimal on my ride. It isn't enough to be noticeable after 4k rpm's.

I've heard decent results from vibranators, bar snake, sand, and lead shot for the bars.

Never heard of a solution for pegs.

I've never experienced a problem with the vibes so haven't done anything.

Maybe the old CR5 has conditioned me to the point that the vmax vibes are unnoticeable :)

With the Delrin mounts the vibration is minimal on my ride. It isn't enough to be noticeable after 4k rpm's.

Trouble is, Steve, is that I'm an old fogey, with a Venture final drive, that's happy to putt along in top gear at somewhat legal speeds. So the engine is usually under 4k.
What I HAVE noticed, for the entire time that I have owned the bike, is that any rpm's over 5k translate into a much smoother ride! The mirror images clear up completely, and I no longer get the tingles in my hands.

Which is understandable. The bike was not designed as a low revving cruiser, and the engine was probably blueprinted and balanced to run the smoothest within it's powerband, which kicks in around 5k.
Life is composed of a never-ending series of compromises we must make.
Guess I should get used to just staying in 4th. gear on the highway?
Cheers!

cant see it being a problem taking the engine out.....don't plan on it either ,LOL. I like the "mean" look of them.

vmax%20bars%20done11%20003_zpsg47towqy.jpg

vmax%20bars%20done11%20004_zpss1gepham.jpg

I decided on frame braces and notched & braced swingarm. No solid motor mounts because of the added vibrations many people have mentioned. ( I may have a set of the Delrins if anybody is searching as I found them prior to finding out about the added vibrations.

I have not had any issues with those mods.

( This was prior to changing out the suspension for USD forks & 6 piston brakes , 17" wheels with sport rubber and better upgraded Progressive 430s on the rear. )

Needless to say the ride , handling and braking improved then as well. Was it worth the added expense ? Probably not . Would I do it again ? Probably.

Attachments

• # 2 Group Chip 285.jpg
    # 2 Group Chip 285.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 18
Back