Well, it wasn't exactly a ride. But it was definitely an event! Oily Pipes 2016

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubicon

Reaction score
Just thought I would share some pictures I took over the weekend at the Oily Pipes 2 stroke classic bike show in Blue Bell, PA. Unfortunately I opted to take the car down as it was 100 degrees and the forecast said 60-70% chance of thunderstorms. Of course that meant it was bright and sunny all day...:bang head::damn angry:

Anyhow, it's a cool show and I recommend going if any of you live close enough (4 strokes are allowed as well). As the club members say, "Valves are for toilets"!

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/nubicon/library/Oily%20Pipes%202016

Lots of great pics, thanks. The 1970's Japanese on & off-road bikes were well-represented, and I liked the jellybean-tank Ducati single at the end of the album. I liked all of the pics, but the 250/350/450 Ducat singles are very spare in appearance, purposeful, and they have great lines. I think that's a 250. The 450 RT was a great ride back then, as long as you didn't expect it to perform like an open class motocrosser weighing 80 lbs less. An interesting article, about the 450 RT: http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-...gps-classic-steel-69-1971-desmo-ducati-rt-450 John Banks was still riding a BSA 441-based Cheney 500 in motocross as the 1970's began, and he did well w/it, one of the very few 4 strokes able to compete w/the 2-strokes.

I like to play, "what four bikes would I like to take home?" when I go to those meets. What are your choices?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 8
My four...hmmm. Well, I have a sometimes irrational but otherwise mechanically based hatred for all things Ducati, so it won't be that! The jelly bean tank restoration was absolutely perfect so I have to give that guy credit. We actually conspired with the owner of the grabber blue 60's Indian Scout to place that bike nearer to the Ducati and more in the center of the show so it would steal votes, lol.

So. Only 4? Ok, I'll try

1- The Kawi H2 750. My dad had one. Same color. It was the first bike I heard stories and recounted adventures/near arrests about. I will have one some day.

2- Yamaha RZ500. A V4 500cc 2 stroke? Where do I sign? And bonus points for having exhaust tips and expansion chambers tucked in seemingly random fashion all over the place. It looks like a porcupine with smoking quills!

3- Yamaha RD350. The yellow one. This one: http://s52.photobucket.com/user/nubicon/media/Oily%20Pipes%202016/20160813_112359.jpg.html It is difficult to express how CLEAN that perfect little machine was. And I'm a total sucker for vintage Yamaha motocross livery colors.

4- I'd really like to try to ride that air suspension 1100 rat rod Goldwing with the BBQ trailer. That guy clearly doesn't give 1/2 a shit, and for that he should be appreciated!

The most likely bike that I'll own in the near future wasn't even in the pictures. In the motorcycle parking outside the show there was a Kawi ZRX-1200. I've been in love with them since the day they came out (in 1100cc flavor) and I still want one after all this time. Easily obtainable, reliable and powerful.

Latest posts

Back