Well it's in pieces

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbfrommn

Reaction score
But I'm 1/3rd of the way to redoing the carbs. Taking them out was a pain so I'm sure putting them back will be cake right :whistlin: Need to get several new screws because who ever worked on it before did a number on the existing ones.

Put in the new fuel filter and for fun cut open the old one wow was that full of crap. I'm sure I'll have a few questions once we get going but I do have one now.

Once we got the carbs off we took a look inside the intake. It was like a spray on bedliner in there. Almost perfect enough to be intentional. Most of it was pretty soft. I figure I'll be running some fuel treatments through it once it is back together. As long as I have it apart are there any additonal recommendations folks might have? Any preferred fuel treatments? I always run STP through my truck but am open to options.

look into coating the inside of your tank.....being an 85 (mine is too) lots of crap in there.
Are you going with a glass fuel filter???
easier to maintain and also you can see if theres crap in it.

Took a good look into the tank and it is in pretty good shape. I've run a lot of seafoam thru it so hopefully that got most of the crap out of there. Couldn't find the glass filter so I bought a stock one for now.

you can get a universal glass one at autozone.....has a replaceable filter inside..... just make sure the ends are the right size.

Took a good look into the tank and it is in pretty good shape. I've run a lot of seafoam thru it so hopefully that got most of the crap out of there. Couldn't find the glass filter so I bought a stock one for now.

Autozone, Advance, etc...carry this Mr. Gasket Glass universal with 3 nipple sizes included. I've used it for years and it's only $10 :thumbs up:

http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=38362

:cheers:

Neil

It's all back together and it actually runs. Now I just need to take it for an extended test ride to see if it runs well. I'm sure some tuning will be involved.

The carbs themselves were in pretty good shape but the pilot jet was majorly blocked on 3 out of the 4. Pulled the plugs, #1 was running rich and the other three were lean.

This whole purchase just goes to show you can't trust some shops to do what they say. They charged the guy who sold it to me $600 to go through the carbs, flush the fuel, change the oil and change the plugs. So far the fuel was old, the filter was full of crap, the carbs were pretty much untouched, the idle wasn't set correctly, the plugs were gapped way to narrow and it was a quart low on oil. :ummm:

I got 60 miles in last night there is a definate improvement in performance. Lots more pop when you hit the throttle. The MPG has improved to about 31, of course I was doing a lot of screwing around testing different things. All in all it was worth the effort...

:rocket bike:

Latest posts

Back