Went to scared to death to wanting her own in under 3 months...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
So when I got my VMax, my girlfriend was scared to death of motorcycles. She wouldn't even dream of sitting on one, much less ride on the back of one. But after some time and some talking, I convinced her to let me ride her around the neighborhood. She almost broke my ribs that first ride from holding on so tight, but after a few minutes she eased off and I started hearing giggles behind me.

She started shopping for helmet for the "occasional ride." We got the helmet and went for longer rides. She would wear one of my leather jackets. Then she got herself a pair of boots. We rode more. Her jacket came in last week and we took it for a test ride today in low 50s weather. She's hooked. And now she wants a motorcycle of her own! Woohoo! Luckily I found an instructor that does 1 on 1 lessons and we are going to get her signed up. If that works out well, we're going to get her own ride -- she really likes the look of the VStar 250.

At this pace, next Christmas of 2014 we might be getting her a VMax too. :) I have to admit, she looks good on it!

Attachments

• IMAG0195.jpg
    IMAG0195.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG0197.jpg
    IMAG0197.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0198_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0198_BURST002.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 79
That's good to get her interested, but go for a 500 twin for a first bike, big-enough to keep-up w/traffic on the highway, but small enough not to be challenging to keep erect at a stoplight, especially if the neophyte rider stops and puts her foot down on damp pavement into a puddle of ATF or coolant.

I was just looking in the local CL and saw two clean-looking Honda CX500's which have a cheap buy-in and will do the job on the highway, w/o being difficult to control when stopping/starting. Simple to work-on, durable, and cheap.

Bought my wife a ninja 250... 6 months later... she was on a Ninja ZX636... when she picked up my Vmax.... she was like.... Wow..I kinda want one of these!!!!

Congrats. My girlfriend had a Vmax with stage 7 before we met, its great when people have a Vmax in common.

I've got the perfect bike. Just about finished with it. It's a 97 GS500E. All I have left to do is put a handlebar on it. Maybe not the most cosmetically pleasing bike but i'm going to be wanting to get $1000 for it (will advertise it at $1200).

My mom/dad are going to K.C. on the 3rd and could take it that far if you wanted to jump right in!

Sean

Thanks for the offer Sean. I want her to get that training first though, just to see how she does. I took a riders course after I got my VMax because passing it waives the need for a road test to get the motorcycle endorsement, and I had heard some horror stories of the road test. We started off with 6 riders and ended with 2. One guy lost control, wrecked, and broke his leg on the first day. Another guy had so much trouble just working the clutch and stalling about 200 times, he just gave up and didn't come back.

I hope she doesn't have any sort of experience like that, but both those guys I had mentioned had already bought their bikes. I don't want to make that mistake. Baby steps.

But I will be getting with you hopefully around the Christmas time frame for a new seat. It's on the top of my list and desperately needed.

Congrats! I am still working on getting my wife to ride, she has had her own bike for a few months now and the final touches on it should be done by the middle of next month. Hopefully over the holidays I can get her to take the MSF course and start riding with me.

25 years later I still keep in mind some of what was taught me in me MSF corse. Every body is trying to kill you, you are invisible, bumping is fine in a car on a motercycle not so much, and there are some things that are fun to do with your mouth so wear a full face helmet. :)

It's great to hear that she took to riding so fast. Great when your wife/girlfriend is into to riding like you are.

My wife's first bike was a 600cc and three years she is still riding it, no need to upgrade that way.

Mike

Congrats!

You end up getting MUCH MORE ride time after they get their own mc license. Shala was sitting on her brand new Honda Rune after less than two years. And later added the first of our Gen II's in the garage.

It's a great time.

My ex went the opposite direction. After being a passenger for a couple years she decided she wanted a bike. Had her take the MSF course and she seemed excited. Bought her a new 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim. First time we left the city there was a serious problem. About 10 of us went to Dinosaur Valley State park in Glen Rose, TX to view the dino tracks, etc. It was about 90 miles away. She slowed WAY down at every curve. Seems she was afraid to lean for the turns. Took much longer and I'm sure POed everyone else on the trip.

Got home and she said never again. Sold the almost new Maxim for huge loss. (Less than 900 miles. Most by me to break in). :bang head:

Looks like a nice, clean bike. It should work really well for a first timer. The seller may have some room on that price as well.

Yea it's been posted for a month, so I wonder if they'd come down off that price a little.

I think it would work, nice looking bike. 650 cc should be able to get down the road pretty well.

Back