what a pig

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
I replaced my front radial 17 inch tire 120/70X17 with a 130/70X17 , WOW
what a pig that tire is, it swallows bumps and man holes like they don't exist, it also corrects the " falling in the turn feeling" associated with the 17 inch front wheel conversion, on the free way the bike feels real steady
I mean you feel you can do 130 mph with confidence. I used a Metzler 880 and it has a 62 weight load, that is what was missing in the bike's handling a very very steady front at high speeds.
It is only 14 mm taller than the 120/70X17 but the difference is miraculous!:rocket bike: :rocket bike: :clapping: :whistlin: :cheers00: :banana:
________
buy cheap vaporizer

Last edited:
That's interesting. I would have thought that a wider front tire would have made the front end feel too heavy. How is it for fit? Is it very tight for space?

Buster Hymen said:
That's interesting. I would have thought that a wider front tire would have made the front end feel too heavy. How is it for fit? Is it very tight for space?

Buster , I am talking about a 17 inch front wheel not the stock wheel.
The problem with the 17 inch wheel conversion is that it lowers the front 2 inches and decreases the rake of the bike excessively when using the 120/70/17 tire size worse if you use a 120/60X17, this causes over steering which many describe as the bike is easy to flick, it initially feels better than the stock 18 front but soon you discover that it is making the bike unstable at high speeds ( the short tire profile is not really a plus for the front or rear tires) it creates more damping demand on the suspension and does not absorb bumps , potholes and manhole covers. we tend to become exited that the bike feels lighter but it also feels unsteady at straight high speed.
the cure= 130/70X17 VR ME 800 front, the best handling tire I've installed!
for the rear 160/70X17 this is the best combination of tires for a superb handling max, that said max is NOT a sports bike!

the clearance is about 4mm on both sides of the front fender so it fits and fits perfectly.
the over steering problem is finally corrected and the bike takes corners like it is on a track.
To me finally I achieved the minimum handling enhancement max will ever have!

If you are thinking of kosman ask for welded wheels also the rear tire valve stem has no clearance for regular tire inflators at gas stations, the only inflator that will fit is the round kind:( which also means you cannot use a CO inflator in an emergency flat tire and that is a big bummer.
________
DGX-620

Last edited:
I'm running a 17 inch rear 18 inch front combo. I know I can't fit a 130 on the front since a 110 is max for the stock rim. I'm currently looking for a 17 inch front though as I want 17 inch front and back and will give me more flexibily for tires.

Buster Hymen said:
I'm running a 17 inch rear 18 inch front combo. I know I can't fit a 130 on the front since a 110 is max for the stock rim. I'm currently looking for a 17 inch front though as I want 17 inch front and back and will give me more flexibly for tires.

Buster, if you want great handling and stability go with the ME800 130/70X17 I am telling you, I already had the 120/70X17 for a year so I know what I am talking about, from stock the 120 feels like a very good upgrade as it makes the bike lighter in low speed turns, the only problem with it is the high speed instability and over steering (falling into the turn) plus the load rating is less than the stock 58 vs 61, remember we need the highest load rating since the bike will have more of its weight in front!
The 130 cured all that and made the bike very stable and more natural in turns NOT heavy at all, it also swallows bumps and road irregularities superbly like they don't exist!

NOTE: the 120/17 is actually narrower than the stock 110/18 how come I don't know, the 130 is slightly wider then the 110, look at Metzler PDF and see dimensions.

the only bad thing that it only comes in ME 880 of all Metzler tires, but the 880 is a great tire and very long lasting also it has no center groove which makes it go over longitudinal grooves without feeling them at all.

but if you insist try the 120/17 then you will understand what I was talking about:)
I am impressed immensely with the handling after 200 miles on that tire.

If you want your bike to handle its best put a 160/70X17 rear ME Z6 you will not regret it one bit!, I had a 180/55 for a 1000 mile and replaced it.

My tire formula is 130/70X17VR front ME 880
160/70X17ZR rear ME Z6 or Z4
I hope you don't have the forks lowered more than one inch when putting a 17 inch wheel, that will cause excessive front nose dive and will mess up all benefits! then to fix it going for shorter shocks, completes the mess! as clearance during turns will greatly suffer.
The 120/17 tire puts much more stress on the forks due to less air cushion and rubber!
________
Mazda RX-2 history

Last edited:
After 1200 miles with a front tire size 130/70 X17 I can say that fatter front tire significantly improve high speed stability! and to my surprise did not make steering any heavier! though its not possible with 18 inch front wheel due to size limitation.
This is making me think of getting a 140/80X17 which after some research
is one mm shorter than the stock 110/90X18.
This tire is for VTX and another bike, it is also NEW Metzler radial introduced late 06,this size was only available in bias ply, it might be a tad wide and front fender needs a little trimming from the sides.
I am beginning to like the fat front tire look vs the small/ odd looking 120/70X17 and even the 130/70X 17.
In Metzler PDF size on it is NA but 140 means ~ 140 mm in width while the 130 is actually 129mm wide, I see the 140 might be ~ 145 and that can easily fit Plus no need for a 17 inch speedo drive, the stock will work accurately and no need for a fender spacer either.
________

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back