WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastal Grey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I sit here on break scratching my navel in awe of the raging Atlantic to my right and in the grip of a maritime Canadian winter I figured I would start a new thread
I’m not one for any tunes when I’m riding it just disconnect me far to much put a stereo on the bike you say well no I don’t wish to share my music with others.
Now in the truck and at home a different story in the truck I have a standard issue Nissan fosgate with a sub I have to be honest not a bad system at all check!
as for home over the years I have had all kinds of monstrosities tube and otherwise
Ive gotten older and maybe a little more refined in no way do I consider my self an audiophile
Over the last 10 years I have built for me a system that I am truly happy with and will die with
I have a system deck v11 turntable
A teac amplifier no tone controls just straight juice a tube preamp for the turntable an audio engine bile tooth feed a Yamaha single CD player with a USB port and and a Harmon kardon tuner this is rounded out by 4 psb 5 bookshelf speakers this is not at all set up for surround just good old stereo although through blue to it will stand up for movies
I do have a set of mission 753 that I’m rebuilding that I really want back in the system
Oh yeah and the Marshall monitors for those couch lock days
So with out wasting anymore time in the spirit of Canada let the games begin
I’m going to go with

All better on vinyl of course7989A648-183C-4798-BA69-ABB0F4FEAB2A.jpeg36CBF01F-0655-4ECF-B77D-6FD9B48ACBBE.jpeg5CD074E8-5413-4194-8D1F-7745B9898428.jpeg

I listen to everything from the big band, swing and jazz of the 1930s through the oldies of 50s and 60s, moving through the classic rock of the 70s and 80s, to the new classic rock of the 90s and 2000s. I listen to classical music, opera, rock, pop, dance, and just about everything else. I dont listen to country(spin the shit backwards and make it happy sounding). I dont listen to gospel. Just not religious to get into it. I dont listen to rap. That music sends a bad message all around.

My work device has over 11,000 songs on it. Maybe 20 songs are covers. No live songs unless thats the only way the song was put out or duplicate songs by the same band. It takes about 3 weeks of nonstop play to go through the playlist.

Currently listening to Ted Nugent - Stranglehold Stranglehold Ted Nugent

Been downloading music since the early days of Napster. Before that, dubbing tapes. I was deployed to Antarctica in the mid 1980s and they had dubbing machines set up at the REC center for those non work Sundays (we worked 12-14 hour days Monday thru Saturday). They started collecting music albums in the 1950s and adding to the collection every year, eventually going to cassettes. Now I get my music off the web. When I repaired PCs, the owners would let me copy their stuff. My active PC drives currently have 22,931 MP3s, with many duplicates. I'm now getting into WAVE file formats for music instead of the compressed stuff since large drives are cheap.

My Home Theater system is running dual Yamaha receivers, dual Sony receivers, and dual subwoofers (Polk and Sony).
JVC main LR tower speakers on speaker A and Vintage TSS Studio Monitors (JBL clones) on speakers B, Dual Center speakers (Polk Audio and SLS), ceiling speakers, multiple JBL satellite surround and presence speakers, LG BluRay player, Nakamichi dual cassette, Pioneer 100 CD Carousel, Realistic 31-2020A 10 Band Stereo Frequency Equalizer, and vintage Dynaco 410 amp. Using the other three receivers as amplifiers to drive the center, surround and subwoofers with output from the Yamaha RX-V1800. The Yammy RX drives the four Left and Right speakers. Yamaha RXA -A700 drives the centers.

Vintage Akai system with cassette, reel to reel and a Luxman turntable. JBL Jubal speakers. An old Sony silver DVD player so I can still use a CD when necessary.

Attachments

• 960873A7-81C9-4DAD-B9E4-D637F02A4953.jpeg
    960873A7-81C9-4DAD-B9E4-D637F02A4953.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 15
Vintage Akai system with cassette, reel to reel and a Luxman turntable. JBL Jubal speakers. An old Sony silver DVD player so I can still use a CD when necessary.
Sweet setup! Back when they made systems visually appealing...

As a lifelong electrical engineer, one of my passions for a couple of decades has been acquiring, refurbishing and re-selling old audio gear that we so loved "back in the day". I think I have kept the cream of the crop. Mostly Marantz, Pioneer and Sansui. I'm also a bit of a music nut. I won't throw up photos (unless requested), but will be true to the intent of the thread.

Currently:

On 3.5 hour drive home last night had Spotify play swing music, Fran Sinatra and Stevie Ray Vaughn. I have extremely varied rates in music.
I remember going to see David Bowie in 1981, and he sacked Stevie as he wanted £200 per concert. It was slash that played instead at short notice, and although Slash is one of the top guy's now, he was dreadful then. The music was just a blur of nonsense.

I've been trying to get an old timers (61 next month) rock covers band together. There is now a singer, bass and me. As its mostly 70's and 80's, and some early 90's. The band name is The Shagpile Carpets as that was the bees knees of flooring (if you had any) in that era. Infact I remember someone I knew had a rug nailed to the lounge floor so no-one stole it!

I've got an initial set routine to get started with.
1. Therapy: Lunacy Booth.
2. Led Zepp: Kashmir.
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd: Simple Man.
4. Firehouse: No One At All.
5. Boston: More than a Feeling.
6. Radiohaed: Creep.

Encore.
Rush: Spirit of Radio

Back