What clutch for stock Gen 1?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB

Reaction score
GEN 1 slip ons only only gonna see one 250lb rider ever. If clutch gets soft/slips... Would the PWC kit be good enough for full throttle banging or is the Barnett necessary (even at stock power level)?

The PCW and Barnett with standard springs are very similar in holding power. If you are going to up power level much then i would suggest the DD mod. The PCW/Barnett will likely suffice for what you are wanting to do.

The PCW and Barnett with standard springs are very similar in holding power. If you are going to up power level much then i would suggest the DD mod. The PCW/Barnett will likely suffice for what you are wanting to do.
The DD mod (adding another factory spring only?) is More holding power than a Barnett SPRING CONVERSION kit or a PCW spring? I'm assuming OEM clutch disc's and steels are preferred over aftermarket (in the Road Star world this is the case).

Yes, OEM plates.
Yes, the DD holds stronger than the PCW spring or the barnett conversion with the springs it comes with. You can buy heavier duty springs for the barnett

I've not used the DD mod, though I've sold the diaphragm spring to someone-else for it. I do use the PCW HD spring, w/the all full-plate OEM friction discs. My opinion is that for a stock or bolt-on modded bike, the DD isn't necessary. If you have a power-adder which increases output by 40+% maybe the DD mod is appropriate.

is it possible that the standard diaphragm spring gets weaker with age and use

Yes I believe it does, and I think that's one of the things that Sean has commented on before that using a seasoned second spring for the double disc clutch mod makes it a little bit easier for the clutch pull for your hand.

I did the DD on my 85.
Original spring now has over 40k and the 2nd spring had over 50k, probly 10 years now.
Pros.....tire chirping, neck snapping shifts....no lag.
Cons.....Heavy lever.....especially round town.
Im 220 and it does get heavy after a day in the saddle.
Once u got the DD, youll never go back.
Fyi.....it never got easier, unless i got weaker

Latest posts

Back