What did I do to my VMax today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_yammie

Reaction score
Installed the OEM "backrest" and rack on my Gen2. My immediate thought when done was that I should have looked on here to see if there were any tips or tricks to be it besides an extra set of hands or alot of patience! After checking I'm surprised that there wasn't anything here on it. They should have just tredded the holes on the rack. Paper Instructions were useless. Basically I had to barely start every fastener before tightening any of them and that made it tricky without an extra set of hands. All this so I can have a rack on the back!!!

How many folks on here have a Gen 1 and a Gen 2? I just got my Gen 2 and have had my Gen 1 since 99. Not currently riding that one but can't seem to part with it either!

Attachments

• 20220620_234806.jpg
    20220620_234806.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220620_233539.jpg
    20220620_233539.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 20
Not today but recently I put a complete 94 front end including brakes on my 86. The difference is amazing. Would highly recommend this as an upgrade it’s easy and less expensive then other options.

Installed the OEM "backrest" and rack on my Gen2. My immediate thought when done was that I should have looked on here to see if there were any tips or tricks to be it besides an extra set of hands or alot of patience! After checking I'm surprised that there wasn't anything here on it. They should have just tredded the holes on the rack. Paper Instructions were useless. Basically I had to barely start every fastener before tightening any of them and that made it tricky without an extra set of hands. All this so I can have a rack on the back!!!

How many folks on here have a Gen 1 and a Gen 2? I just got my Gen 2 and have had my Gen 1 since 99. Not currently riding that one but can't seem to part with it either!
I have it and it looks great. However my Saddlemens tail bag sits on it terribly.

What are you going to use?

Had both sold my gen 2 cause it killed my hips . I now have a few gen 1's and 1 is a 1500 pcw : )
Very interesting that the gen2 was worse for your hips. What do you attribute that to? Was it the overall width of the seat? I have some pretty significant arthritis in my right hip as well. Personally I find the gen2 a lot more comfortable for me. I've never had an opportunity to try a gen1 with significant modifications like a 1500 pcw or one with wheels that will work with radials etc. Always been super curious about those mods but also know that it can get super expensive and sometimes frustrating when dialing everything in especially when I live so far from what most would consider civilization!!!

I have it and it looks great. However my Saddlemens tail bag sits on it terribly.

What are you going to use?
I agree that it looks as good as you're going to get for adding a backrest but it's pretty limited in terms of function! Admittedly I'm probably never going to have a passenger back there! I literally got it because I wanted the rack! Pretty expensive rack!

Here's what I've ordered:
Cortech 8230-0405-14 Black Super 2.0 Tail Bag Cortech 8230-0405-14 Black Super 2.0 Tail Bag, Luggage - Amazon Canada

I'd read everything I could find on here and decided to go with this. I don't need much space. Just enough for my lunch bag really. I prefer a tailbag over a tank bag because of scratches mainly but secondly because it always bugged me on my gen1 that the tank bag blocked my view of things like the low fuel light!

Very interesting that the gen2 was worse for your hips. What do you attribute that to? Was it the overall width of the seat? I have some pretty significant arthritis in my right hip as well. Personally I find the gen2 a lot more comfortable for me. I've never had an opportunity to try a gen1 with significant modifications like a 1500 pcw or one with wheels that will work with radials etc. Always been super curious about those mods but also know that it can get super expensive and sometimes frustrating when dialing everything in especially when I live so far from what most would consider civilization!!!
Mostly for me I can not bend my legs to fit on stock pegs . I need forward controls to ride comfortable so switching gears using rear brakes were a challenge after riding a distance cause of stiffness and shooting nerve pain down my legs . All my gen 1's will have forward controls where I can ride 200 miles and maybe more with some motrin ... My 1500 is a real blast by the way not sure I would have bought a gen2 if I had ridden a 1500 first money wise...

Mostly for me I can not bend my legs to fit on stock pegs . I need forward controls to ride comfortable so switching gears using rear brakes were a challenge after riding a distance cause of stiffness and shooting nerve pain down my legs . All my gen 1's will have forward controls where I can ride 200 miles and maybe more with some motrin ... My 1500 is a real blast by the way not sure I would have bought a gen2 if I had ridden a 1500 first money wise...
That makes sense with the fwd controls. I just got a set of the gen2 highway pegs and they make a huge difference for me to be able to move around to different positions. I'm rarely in traffic conditions where I'd want to use fwd controls. Right now I find that there is more distance from the regular driver pegs and the seat height on the gen2 than the gen1 which is much less cramped for my knees so I like. I do have a reworked/lower seat on my gen1 though. Most of last summer I'd been riding my dual sport. When I went back to my gen1 in the fall it felt so cramped!

I agree that it looks as good as you're going to get for adding a backrest but it's pretty limited in terms of function! Admittedly I'm probably never going to have a passenger back there! I literally got it because I wanted the rack! Pretty expensive rack!

Here's what I've ordered:
Cortech 8230-0405-14 Black Super 2.0 Tail Bag Cortech 8230-0405-14 Black Super 2.0 Tail Bag, Luggage - Amazon Canada

I'd read everything I could find on here and decided to go with this. I don't need much space. Just enough for my lunch bag really. I prefer a tailbag over a tank bag because of scratches mainly but secondly because it always bugged me on my gen1 that the tank bag blocked my view of things like the low fuel light!
I'll take some pics when it shows up and I get it mounted but Amazon says it will be a few weeks out.

Latest posts

Back