What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I needed to clean the carbs because the pilot jet for #1 cylinder was plugged, and I had a hesitation off-idle, that cylinder wasn't firing either, at idle. It would rev on all 4 once past the initial 'from-idle tip-in,' and then the #1 cylinder would pick-up. So I have a clean tank, a new fuel filter and I'll finish setting the air-bleed screws and synch the carbs tomorrow.

Installed koso heated appollo handgrips

Attachments

• 6F988A64-4042-4C5D-A6FF-C7A188F0B560.jpeg
    6F988A64-4042-4C5D-A6FF-C7A188F0B560.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 31
I set the pilot air bleed screws, and synchronized the carburetors, and set the idle. Much better now! After that I gave the bike a ride on I-95, and stopped by the Yamaha shop where my long-time friend Bill works, he's the senior mechanic, and has been wrenching at Yamaha dealerships since their current line-up was showcasing bikes like the Twin Jet 100 and the DT-1 Enduro. He heard me coming. He said, "there goes a VMax, and it's hitting on all four cylinders." He still sees a few Gen I's in the dealership from time to time, and usually it's for a carb cleaning, a rear tire, and an oil change. He liked the bike, and informed me our mutual acquaintance Fred Kolman, a Yamaha dealer from Ottawa Canada is now in town for the winter. Fred is very famous, he's the ice racer in "On Any Sunday" who defeated Yuvon Duhamal. Yuvon was famous for winning, or for crashing, or for blowing-up, whichever came-first.

The bike ran well on the interstate, plenty of power (of-course!) and when on surface streets, it behaved with a 1000 RPM idle and no hesitation off-idle as I went through Pompano Beach traffic.

Bled the clutch so I could ride around the corner. She's been in the shed for a month.

Attachments

• 20190101_130045.jpg
    20190101_130045.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190101_130028.jpg
    20190101_130028.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190101_130209.jpg
    20190101_130209.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 40
Changed the shift segment, and did the Morley HD Oiling kit, new set of delkevic 8" mini's. Big thanks to Sean for all his help and getting the kit out so fast, I was having trouble finding the lost pin from the segment, he pointed me in the right direction and was spot on! It was in the oil pick up screen, wasnt able to see it till I took it off gave it a good tap and cleaned it.
Newer rear down pipes from a 2000 the old ones were krusty. Bled the clutch and front brakes, need to rebuild all the masters and push lever. Took her out for a few short rides and the forks are leaking so thats next.
20181228_030536.jpg 20190104_193233.jpg 20190106_175604.jpg

Attachments

• 20181228_030536.jpg
    20181228_030536.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190104_193233.jpg
    20190104_193233.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190106_175604.jpg
    20190106_175604.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 38
I set the pilot air bleed screws, and synchronized the carburetors, and set the idle. Much better now! After that I gave the bike a ride on I-95, and stopped by the Yamaha shop where my long-time friend Bill works, he's the senior mechanic, and has been wrenching at Yamaha dealerships since their current line-up was showcasing bikes like the Twin Jet 100 and the DT-1 Enduro. He heard me coming. He said, "there goes a VMax, and it's hitting on all four cylinders." He still sees a few Gen I's in the dealership from time to time, and usually it's for a carb cleaning, a rear tire, and an oil change. He liked the bike, and informed me our mutual acquaintance Fred Kolman, a Yamaha dealer from Ottawa Canada is now in town for the winter. Fred is very famous, he's the ice racer in "On Any Sunday" who defeated Yuvon Duhamal. Yuvon was famous for winning, or for crashing, or for blowing-up, whichever came-first.

The bike ran well on the interstate, plenty of power (of-course!) and when on surface streets, it behaved with a 1000 RPM idle and no hesitation off-idle as I went through Pompano Beach traffic.
Sounds like you were successful with your carb rebuilding efforts. I remember Duhamal during my teenage years reading Cycle Guide, Cycle and several other m/c mags at the time.

Sounds like you were successful with your carb rebuilding efforts. I remember Duhamal during my teenage years reading Cycle Guide, Cycle and several other m/c mags at the time.

I'm no dannymax or Sean Morley, but I'm much-faster than I was the first time I stripped a set of VMax carbs!

I'm nostalgic for Cycle Guide, remember how they used-to chrome-plate the bike that won their Cycle of the Year award? Cycle magazine, I used-to go to a friend's home south of Lansing MI and re-read his stack of Cycle magazines, over and over. We used to go dirt biking together. He had an OSSA Pioneer which was a great bike, lots of fun to ride, light, good handling, and decent performance. This is back in the early 1970's.

After that, I moved to Florida, and one of the advantages which brought me to south Florida was being able to ride year-round. I still have my Yamaha 360 Enduro I bought new in MI in 1972.

I saw MIguel Duhamal win the Daytona 200 one year. After the race, the Mexican restaurant we went-to was where Miguel Duhamal's Kawasaki team went to celebrate, and the older guys I was with knew Duhamal's dad, Yuvon, because of their shared racing days, and one of my friends was a Kawasaki dealer. He went-over and said 'hello,' and wished them well, congratulating the team.

Been doing things I haven’t had time to do to my vmax.
Finally got rid of the blue rims lol, they’re now painted to match the bike!
Also installed a dynatek ignition, can’t wait to tune it!
Removed a lot of bits to paint them to match the rest of the bike.
Got my swing arm back from LCR, had Larry weld the swing arm brace on, looks pretty sweet!
Got miscellaneous parts and such to do other things I wanted. Oil kit from Sean, extra friction disc to replace half disc on clutch with, cooler thermo switch.. in the process of getting my ride height back. Pics will come soon

Here is the promised picture, first is the LED reflector replacement, second is the plate/turn/ brake & tail light setup. I will probably move the turn signals back to the regular location now that she won't be used for carrying camping equipment. etc. anymore, just be used for her intended purpose!

Attachments

• Brakes in daylight.JPG
    Brakes in daylight.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for sharing! Will try to hide mine more,i really want a minimal look on the back.

I have no qualms on the size and location of the stock taillight. I want to be-seen. Sure, the minimalist lamps like the 'eyebrow' LED lamps look cool but in poor weather and at-night, I want to be able for another driver to be able to discern, "that's a bike in-front of me," as they're approaching me from behind. We have enough issues with distracted drivers: smoking, talking on their cellphone, eating, using their nav systems, where's their concentration? Probably-not on that bike in-front of them with or without the slimline taillamp!

I was rear-ended by an adult female driver while stopped for a red light, in my GMC pick-up. The woman gets points for being honest: she told the officer, "I was putting-on my make-up!"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back