What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty good Gent, (however ;) ) I've always thought that your bike was one of the sickest lookin Maxxes I've seen. Mucho custom work, yet maintained a look that shadowed the original, unlike those crazy extreme things they do in Europe..which are cool, but those bikes have almost nothing in common with the "original" other than the engine [modded as well]. Yours and that infamous red & chrome one that has been in my screen saver photos for years.

Your bike still looks awesome, but I did (personally) like the previous rear fender look.

T$
Thank you V-Four, so far the tally's close but the original fender is favored. Beyond my first vision for the change I did a mock-up with Windows Paint to see how it would look and liked the "roadster"pillion with the original fender. I at the same time was looking for a taillight to finish the back and stumbled on the Ghostrider Customs site, and just had to have that light. Sort of wished I would have gotten other opinions, strange how after it was all said and done I haven't seen or heard from the mod monkey......20190121_211742.jpg

Thank you V-Four, so far the tally's close but the original fender is favored. Beyond my first vision for the change I did a mock-up with Windows Paint to see how it would look and liked the "roadster"pillion with the original fender. I at the same time was looking for a taillight to finish the back and stumbled on the Ghostrider Customs site, and just had to have that light. Sort of wished I would have gotten other opinions, strange how after it was all said and done I haven't seen or heard from the mod monkey...…

I can dig that.

So, did you have any taillight with the previous setup? (not counting one of those "side mount" contraptions). In MY opinion, the lights are part of the bike, and shouldn't be some sort of after thought, like the taillight/plate holder on one side of the bike. Of course, JUST my opinion, and people like what they like.

T$

Oh yes, side mount contraption included, LOL. I firmly believe in lighting it up out back, all LED.
The bike has had an R1, Triumph Speed Triple and VRod Mucle fender mount taillights.
All are Run/Brake/Blink with Back-off flash and the plate is run/brake only with back-off.

IMG_20120921_145309.jpg 20150816_134208.jpg 20180209_220343.jpg 20190419_183717.jpg

Went to go for a ride last night, and there was no resistance in the clutch lever. I played holy hell getting the seized bleeder bolt loose, and pumped until the fluid exiting the system was clean. Oddly, as I was pumping the lever to build up pressure for bleeding, bubbles of air started coming up in the reservoir. After a minute or two, the pressure started building up quickly. After a few more pumps, the bubbles stopped and the clutch felt and acted normally. I did get that ride in, and everything was fine. I bought a couple speed bleeders, the old bleeder is pretty buggered up and I'm gonna replace it. All the other bleeders on the Max and Roadstar are speed bleeders. They work great, and make brake bleeding a simple job.

Went to go for a ride last night, and there was no resistance in the clutch lever. I played holy hell getting the seized bleeder bolt loose, and pumped until the fluid exiting the system was clean. Oddly, as I was pumping the lever to build up pressure for bleeding, bubbles of air started coming up in the reservoir. After a minute or two, the pressure started building up quickly. After a few more pumps, the bubbles stopped and the clutch felt and acted normally. I did get that ride in, and everything was fine. I bought a couple speed bleeders, the old bleeder is pretty buggered up and I'm gonna replace it. All the other bleeders on the Max and Roadstar are speed bleeders. They work great, and make brake bleeding a simple job.
+1 for the inside piston, stock rear caliper. Super tight access because of the 300. Sooo much easier with a speed bleeder.

started to take things apart to change the ht leads and spark plugs for new ones to see if it helps with my hot idling problem, blimey those front coils are well hidden, the manual says to remove the carbs so I start to look into doing that and realise the carb manifold rubbers have numerous splits in them, so I've ordered some new ones, maybe they were contributing to my hot idling problem too, don't know if I can be arsed to get the coils off now o_O

Forgot to mention, the day I put the spikes on here , I noticed that these screws (which I had originally replaced the OE phillips head for these allens, when changing covers) were starting to rust , as at the time, I could not find any in stainless near me. Well, I finally found some (or rather, looked harder) and replaced the "starting to rust replacements", with stainless replacements. I should take an "after pic" w/ the stainless.

I will also remind folks that replacing the OEM phillips screws can be quite a.. project. (especially if the bike was left outdoors/neglected in any way).

T$

Attachments

• spkR 2.jpg
    spkR 2.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 44
I usually just hit them with a Dremel tool grinding disc, putting a slot in, and use a flat blade screwdriver fitting snug, to remove them if the phillips slots are buggered. A bit of heat and some PB Blaster usually seems to help if it's being stubborn. That would probably mess-up that pretty-chrome cover though.

got the ht leads changed, checked coils for cracks of which there were none, fitted new fuel filter and fitted a new braided clutch line, tomorrow I will clean up some of the hard to reach areas of the engine and put fresh paint on, fit new plug caps, plugs and get the carbs washed down ready for refitting

435C59B7-D727-4D05-9169-701EDAE305E6.jpeg Finally got to ride for a few then pulled some info from the dynatek, found some of the info interesting. Did some slight adjustments and will see how that goes.

Finally rode it more than 10 miles. It's been a LONG time waiting.

I was hoping to make Thunder but that didn't happen.

I pulled the swingarm and exhaust. Replaced the output shaft and u-joint.
Painted the final drive (differential)
Removed my homemade vboost toggle switch.
Installed the micro machines vboost controller I've had sitting for years.
Make a little bracket to hold the vboost indicator (which I like more than expected)
Some general clean up.

washed the carbs down as they were covered in oil from the unattached breather pipe, cleaned engine and started to repaint the flaky areas

Rode to work yesterday. Decided to take the long way home, stopped for some pics along the way.

Attachments

• 20190624_173016.jpg
    20190624_173016.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20190624_173037.jpg
    20190624_173037.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190624_173111.jpg
    20190624_173111.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190624_173122.jpg
    20190624_173122.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190624_173133.jpg
    20190624_173133.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190624_173142.jpg
    20190624_173142.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190624_173211.jpg
    20190624_173211.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 62
Put the Speed Bleeder valve in the clutch slave cylinder. Then I bled the system until clear fluid ran out of the bleeder. I have the bleeders on the brakes, I bled them out a couple years ago, next rainy day I think I'll do them again for a fluid change.

Your bike is CLEAN!! I like that low slung rear caliper, the blacked out reflector at the radiator vents.
Is that a 5 gal tank peeking out from under the fender?

Thanks.
Yes, the tank has been modified to hold a bit more than 5 gallons. When I bought the extended swingarm from Sean Morley, I asked if they made one. He said they never did one before but would give it a shot.

It may not have been a really wise investment for me since I need to get off the bike and stretch sooner than every 150 miles. But it is convenient to not have to fuel up as often so it gives a bit of leniency when planning fuel stops.

Thanks.
Yes, the tank has been modified to hold a bit more than 5 gallons. When I bought the extended swingarm from Sean Morley, I asked if they made one. He said they never did one before but would give it a shot.

It may not have been a really wise investment for me since I need to get off the bike and stretch sooner than every 150 miles. But it is convenient to not have to fuel up as often so it gives a bit of leniency when planning fuel stops.
Still looking good!

View attachment 69560 Finally got to ride for a few then pulled some info from the dynatek, found some of the info interesting. Did some slight adjustments and will see how that goes.
There is no way that data is correct? You could not find any stretch of road that would allow you to hold WOT for 13+ minutes

I reinstalled the stock exhaust and put the centerstand back on. There seems to some improvement over the cobras. I feel like it runs better- smoother and pulls harder. I also like the sound better myself. Thanks to Fire Medic and Sean Morley and Mabdcmb for the advise. Free pair cobra slip on available!

Back