What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day Vmax folks.
After all the work I have recently done to get my bike back to operation. After riding, currently at 140 miles trying to make sure all systems are a go, I pick up a nail. It is not in the side, but it is not far from the side either. The tire only has 140 miles on it. I am still considering patching it from the inside. I don't think it will be an issue though. And it is another opportunity to practice my tire changing skills :) .

It is frustrating though, after all the work to be sidelined again until I get this repaired.....

Darin

I'm gonna share my opinion. If it's a question of getting home, a rope plug should allow you to re-inflate the tire, after removing the nail. Carrying a 'mushroom' plug and the inserting tool isn't something anyone is likely going to do for around the house riding, maybe on a trip away from home. I've used a rope plug to get-home before, but being close-to the side of the sidewall like yours, I bit the bullet and replaced the tire.

I once installed a new Dunlop, it was a week-old and I was doing errands when I left the bank and returned to my bike, to find the new rear tire flat. There was a 'foreign object' in it, more-towards the center than at the sidewall. I slowly returned home, which was only about 1 mile away, and parked the bike. To repair the tire, I removed it, and patched it with an inside-the-tire patch, and put it aside to use for a 'roll-around tire' on a bike being worked-upon, but I never considered using it to return it to service. That's just me, you may be willing to play the odds. I'm not. BTW, the 'foreign object' was a Craftsman allen wrench, a very-small one, and it went-in just-like a nail, and it stayed there while I rode home. It's still in the top shelf of one of my toolboxes to remind me.

Yes, trashing a new tire is a bit of money, but if I wrecked because the patched tire failed, causing a wreck, what's the cost? I know there are plenty of people who will enter anecdotal stories about repairing a tire, and riding with it, but for me, I'll buy a new one, and do the same, next-time it may happen.

So far I really like them, I’m not feeling any buzzing but I’ve also have had gloves on since installing them. They look good to me and feel good my only complaint would be how thick they are, I don’t have long fingers and using the levers and hanging on can be challenging but like I’ve said I’ve had gloves on and the gloves I’m wearing for now are really thick and bulky. The stock grips on my 97 were perfect but when the foam ones from the po of this bike started tearing I compared prices and they were about the same, I thought I’d try these guys out but I think overall I’d get the stock grips next time.

I removed the clutch lever to see why it is floppy = hole has elongated to 8.5mm (should be 8.0 mm). Ordered a bush which should cure it.

Then spent an hour polishing it to a mirror finish - also removed the scratches on the ball that is on the end of the lever. Ofcourse this meant that the brake lever had to get polished too.

You should have ordered the clutch lever needle bearing kit from me lol (for gen 1 clutch levers).

^^^ ah but I've not been around here long enough to know who is offering what service or parts.:confused: BTW I am not in USA so would take a while to wing its way over.

I have an PTFE line bronze bush on its way which would allow using the original stepped bolt and only opening up the hole from 8 to 10 mm.
I looked at needle bearings but would need to drill hole to 12mm, harder to do and leaves less metal on the lever, otherwise using a 6mm I.D. which then makes the bolt weaker - what size is the bearing you have?

TBH for the amount of usage, I'm sure a plain bush is more than adequate.

Last edited:
Here's our lever. I think it is a 15/32" hole that needs drilled. $20 plus postage. Email me at [email protected]

Attachments

• Clutch Bearing Lever Conversion.jpg
    Clutch Bearing Lever Conversion.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 45
^^^ that doesn't look too bad - I thought there would be less metal left re: 15/32 = 12 mm as good as.

Anyways, my plain split bearing arrived, drilled 10mm in scrap aluminium to see how tight the bearing would be = very. So drilled hole in lever to 9 mm then 10 mm. Pressed bearing in using a vice and although refitted lever is still slightly wobbly, it is a vast improvement.

bush OD is 10.1mm but will squeeze down so reduces the need of the hole being exactly 10.0 mm

clutchleverbush2.jpg

Last edited:
Not today but a couple days ago I had to tow my Vmax home, I was only about a mile and a half away from home when it just died. Smelled something burning like a wire or something but I could not diagnose it in the field. Got it home and did some research on here and contacted one2dmax I hope I spelled it right. Anyway he explained how to check my rectifier and it was the culprit, ordered one from him and it’s on it’s way. Not sure if this is right spot for a shout out but he was very patient with me and shipped out the part immediately, I’m so thankful!

:rolleyes: ha ha ha...... I knew there was a pun there I'm just a bit slow....

Well, it's out now. Next is to pull the pistons and see how the rest of the cylinders are. And wrist pins....

Failed to remove the stuck mixture screw, removed the rack. Will try on the bench tomorrow, doesn't look good.
Ran some 1000 grit over the replacement crank journals, they look good still.

Went for a quick ride to exercise some demons. It's been a wild week.

My transmission isn't liking me too much. Going to have to spend some money and get second gear fixed soon.

IMG_20200425_195606_997.jpg

Also thinking about going back to stock handlebars, if I can find equivalents. The current setup has too much pull back. It had drag bars when I got it, but those are way too uncomfortable.

being my temp tag expired while waiting for a title from NC. now i have to wait till the 6th for an appointment at the DMV. I flushed/changed clutch fluid, tightened the head bearings, rebuilt water pump(little drip from bottom side hole), changed oil and filter(book said 4 quarts so after 4 quarts i sucked out 1 quart to put it back between the lines), changed finial drive oil, fuel filter changed did not do breaks cause it clean fluid. This week i will be fixing a chip in the faux tank. its my 1st max also and i have not owned a bike in 13 years. No its not a mid life crisis like everyone says.

Wasted Tire
I could not have a brand new tire and not use it. I would smoke it. try a few burnouts.
Paint the driveway with deep black stripes
I have a spare rim and tire I use to bring to Laconia for special times like that.
It's why my bike loves me

Latest posts

Back