What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can wrap the ends of your fingers in masking tape to stop them getting sore

Ha ha, with hindsight that would have been a good move. My fingers have grown back so I'll continue tomorrow.

For lining up, I intend to clamp down a flexible strip to act as a guide and work my way along.

If it goes tits up, I'll just polish to a mirror finish but that won't be original.

Started reading the forums for Sean Morley's Big Battery Mod. Pulled out the battery box, made a bottom shelf, used the factory rubber mat and picked up a ETX18L battery for $103.99 at
O'Reilly Auto Parts. My military discount paid the tax so it was $102 out the door. I counterbored the shelf for the factory bolts and capped them with cannon plug dust covers.
This a Group BTX24HL AGM sealed battery with 340 Cold Cranking Amps and weighs 18 pounds. The 24HL is the same group size for either a 1990 Gold Wing GL1500 as in Sean's post and also used on Yamaha's VMAX VX700 XTC Snowmobile. I had been running a UB12180 12v 18AH Sealed Lead Acid Battery, but it only lasted a year. It will still start the bike, but not when it is hot.
VMAX Big Battery Mod.  ETX18L.JPG

B39EAB76-2CD8-46C5-9D77-36491042B017.jpeg Pulled the factory exhaust. Guess this one owner unmolested ‘86 is about to be molested - DW Holeshot going on. Superbike bar installed. Mid-cut seat from Sean. I have decided to go ahead and have some fun with it.

Dang, if I’d kept my ‘94, I wouldn’t need to touch it. It was done done.

Anyway, detailed some nooks and crannies exposed by the pipes being off. I’m going to wait for the DW install until after I get the hoses replaced. All new ones are due this week.

Last edited:
The 'in line' sanding didn't go too well so decided to go for a polished finish, was going well until the angle grinder switch stopped working. Feeling a bit deflated but got 30+ years out of it, can't get replacement switch so a new one is in the post.

Tip no. 2: Don't wear a white T shirt when sanding/polishing aluminium.

822D8C49-620D-42E4-998A-200062780399.jpeg
F8A5BDB4-48C6-4235-9079-4B8EBBF91F9C.jpeg

Finally got these Holeshot pipes back from the ceramic coater. They were backed up for weeks. Installed them (with some drama), but got it done. Now time to tune.

Whoever said the factory exhaust was heavy was absolutely correct. And I know the center stand can stay with the Dale Walker set up, but I removed it anyway. The only bike I have left with a center stand is the CBX. They are typically heavy and ugly. And I find I can easily live without them.

Last edited:
Hey there. I see you have some nice set of Dale Walker headers and pipes on your V Max.My 85 Vmax was what Dale used to make the original measurements. They sure run nice and make it sound amazing.

Put the drag bars back on this weekend and commuted to work today. Wow. What a difference having the carbs tuned makes. When I first got the bike, the carbs were rough, but after a thorough cleaning and Sean's Muscle kit it's a different machine indeed. Also, the mid cut seat makes a huge difference combined with the bars. I still don't like how far forward I have to reach as I am pretty short. Have some 3 rise x 3 pullback bars coming next week to try out. I'm hoping for good forward position without being quite so stretched out. The drag bars are a lot narrower than I remember. If there was a decent option for wider 18degree bars, I might try that.

Next mod is to get combination headlight and turn signals along with the combination stop and turn light. Plus, a flyscreen. Should be pretty different ride compared to the last three years set up with 4 rise x 7 pullback bars. I don't know if I would take a long trip with the 3x3's but we will see.

Hey there. I see you have some nice set of Dale Walker headers and pipes on your V Max.My 85 Vmax was what Dale used to make the original measurements. They sure run nice and make it sound amazing.

Thanks! I had a Kerker on my last Vmax. Debated getting another one for this one, but decided I wanted the symmetry of a 4 into 2 set up. Happened across this set and was very pleasantly surprised at how they sound. I remember them being a bit harsher, but don't find these to be that way at all. I am going to like them. A lot.

Inquired about a extended swingarm kit from Sean last year. he contacted me yesterday to let me know he has everything sourced as I requested. Order placed :) Didn't actually do anything per say to her, however it was for her...

Inquired about a extended swingarm kit from Sean last year. he contacted me yesterday to let me know he has everything sourced as I requested. Order placed :) Didn't actually do anything per say to her, however it was for her...

Sorry to step on the purist intent of this thread, but I have to ask a question here. Does the extended swingarm Sean offers also provide for a wider rear wheel/tire? I assume so, but it seems to me that if that’s not the case, it’s almost not be worth it...

Today was the day to stop speculating about a hot weather, heavy/slow traffic stumble my bike was having at idle. At a stop light it would begin to idle really rough and unsteady like it was vapor locking
or a symptom of a fuel pump issue on the horizon.
Never did the symptom effect any circuit above idle.
At an autozone I spotted the Mr Gasket 42s and grabbed it, thinking, hoping that if this is a failing pump issue now is a good time to try out a different pump. Not just a different pump but one tried out here on this and the Royal Star forum.
The install was quick and easy, I retained the small post pump filter, clipped and wired the female plug off an old pump I had and turned the key, hit run, nice little whirring sound, no gas in the line....
My new pump was bad right out of the packaging, autozone made it right and I got the pump back in and wow what a difference. Today wasn't as hot as its been here but I got the bike up to 200 where it would begin the stumble at periods of long idle, I didnt turn on the fan and she quickly heated up to 220 where it would surely stumble. No stumble, hesitation, nothing, just a sure deliberate steady sound of a well tuned Vmax exhaling through a Kerker. Tonight I will go back through threads and thank whoever it was that first tried and posted about this 40$ gem.

Had new tires mounted yesterday by a local "butcher".
After being sooooo careful he managed to scuff them up in a few spots.
Now I realize I'm rather 'anal' especially when it comes to my bikes but my 2012 VMAX was showroom perfect and I planned to keep it that way!
Does anyone know if there is a 'colour match' paint or Ceracote finish to match the kind of titanium/copper colour of the wheel hub.
This colour ( I'm Canadian ) is same on clutch cover, cam covers etc.
Do you know what I mean ? Not sure how many years they did that, but it is a good look.
Hope someone has a solution for me. I would have gladly paid this guy double to be more careful !

As a follow up.
It is an anodized finish I think I'm looking for.
Probably difficult to match.

Sorry to step on the purist intent of this thread, but I have to ask a question here. Does the extended swingarm Sean offers also provide for a wider rear wheel/tire? I assume so, but it seems to me that if that’s not the case, it’s almost not be worth it...
My understanding is if he does a notched and offset swingarm you can get a 180/190 tire, even some 200's moving the washer. The standard extension is worth it to me even staying with my sticky 170 tire simply to keep the front end down and the ability to stay on the power.

Last edited:
had an eventful week.
rebuilt the waterpump
rebuilt the carbs with dynojet stage one jets.
changed up the intake a lil bit.
the bike feels about the same to be honest but i only road it around the neighborhood.
replaced the rear shocks with something..

next on the list is the low temp fan switch
then front forks
then probably steel braided brake lines, ill probably move this up this list.

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_161757.jpg
    IMG_20200614_161757.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200608_204947.jpg
    IMG_20200608_204947.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 47

Depends on what you have done and the what wheel you use.
With a notched arm and the right wheel, you can fit a 200 tire.

My arm is extended 3" but I did not have it notched. The arm was offset a bit to better center the wheel on the bike which put the driveshaft closer to wall of the arm so, no room to notch deeper.
I can run a 180 tire with clearance, and the big thing to me is, I can install the wheel/tire without removing the final drive. I could fit a 190 if I wanted but, I prefer the ease of maintenance. The larger tire (200) will require you do put it together as an assembly (wheel and final drive)
The 3" extension does allow you room to have the fuel tank expanded. I asked Sean about this when my arm was being done and he said he's not done it before but would give it shot. I can now put a full 5 gallons of fuel in the bike.

New delkevics on love the look and sound....shorties are loud but nice. I will post a vid when I find out how.

Attachments

• 15936477516992100020668354090544.jpg
    15936477516992100020668354090544.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 21
Back