What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8FF3F994-DB88-438B-9FCC-636BF96A3DB7.jpeg Not what I “did”, what I “am doing”...

Waiting anxiously for special clutch bits from Sean that are “Out for Delivery”.

Guess I’ve been too hard on the ole girl. I freely admit to thrashing it every time I go out. Every. Single. Time.

Bit of a paint job and LED lights on the 1992 Maxy 1200. + heated hand grips, Vapor sensor, windshield, handle bars, Ventura diff. Supertrapp 4 into 2s. Can get the old girl up to 300kph.

Attachments

• received_2568693233390891.jpeg
    received_2568693233390891.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I'm in the process of tidying up the scoops - there was corrosion on the topmost surface that is all nicely polished away now.

Today before giving the mirror finish a coat of clear lacquer, I used petrol (or gasoline if you are like James Brown and living in America) to clean off the polishing paste - BIG MISTAKE. The black paint is not petrol resistant. Damn! Ofcourse I should have checked but I've yet to come across paint on a car or bike that isn't, well there is always the first time.

Pretty annoyed as I will have the paint the lower portion in satin black paint.

Road the hell out of my 89. I got together with my favorite riding partner, Christian, yesterday. We always have a blast. We have this roll on signal we give each other, one picks a gear, then we both mash the throttle until we run out of road or catch the traffic. The 1st roll I had my vboost shut off. When his kicked in he smoked me! I didn't feel too bad because I tune his bike. So it's a win loose for me. You know, I pulled over soon to engage full v-boost for another go. V-boost is no hoax. I live for these rides.
Steve-o

Bit of a paint job and LED lights on the 1992 Maxy 1200. + heated hand grips, Vapor sensor, windshield, handle bars, Ventura diff. Supertrapp 4 into 2s. Can get the old girl up to 300kph.

You have a great-looking bike, but I'm gonna need some-sort of proof of a claim like that. Our bikes don't have the aerodynamics to pull 186 MPH! One hundred forty MPH feels-like God's own hand is trying to rip-asunder you from the bike. A set of clip-ons and rear-set controls isn't gonna do it either. You probably would need close-to1 HP/MPH on our bikes to be capable of something like that claim.

Got any slips from someplace like this?
https://www.ectamile.com/maxton-track-records/history/
https://www.ectamile.com/arkansas-track-records/
https://www.ectamile.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Moto-Records-Mile-thru-2019.pdf
A hotted-up Gen II, perhaps. I don't see any evidence of a power-adder there, anything you care to-share? I don't know about other world markets, but the last year for sales of a Gen I in the USA was 2007, there are no "2008" model year VMax'es. I'm sure someone could have bought a left-over 2007 in 2008, but as-far as I am aware, 2007 was the end of the Gen I line. Or is your info in your bio just a typo, as I see you're telling us in this post that it's a 1992? Looks-like you gave her a 1993-'07 front end/brakes, always a good idea. A set of Performance Suspension springs, or Race-Tech springs, some cartridge emulators, and your front-end handles much-better.

Last edited:
You have a great-looking bike, but I'm gonna need some-sort of proof of a claim like that. Our bikes don't have the aerodynamics to pull 186 MPH! One hundred forty MPH feels-like God's own hand is trying to rip-asunder you from the bike. A set of clip-ons and rear-set controls isn't gonna do it either. You probably would need close-to1 HP/MPH on our bikes to be capable of something like that claim.

Got any slips from someplace like this?
https://www.ectamile.com/maxton-track-records/history/
https://www.ectamile.com/arkansas-track-records/
https://www.ectamile.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Moto-Records-Mile-thru-2019.pdf
A hotted-up Gen II, perhaps. I don't see any evidence of a power-adder there, anything you care to-share? I don't know about other world markets, but the last year for sales of a Gen I in the USA was 2007, there are no "2008" model year VMax'es. I'm sure someone could have bought a left-over 2007 in 2008, but as-far as I am aware, 2007 was the end of the Gen I line. Or is your info in your bio just a typo, as I see you're telling us in this post that it's a 1992? Looks-like you gave her a 1993-'07 front end/brakes, always a good idea. A set of Performance Suspension springs, or Race-Tech springs, some cartridge emulators, and your front-end handles much-better.
G'day Fire Medic
I'm in Australia and as you might know, bikes can go faster because we like to exaggerate. I'm no mechanic but I bought this bike from a guy only a few months ago. He raced cars and now bikes. He wanted to set a speed record of some sort. He took it to the salt flats at Lake Gairdner in South Australia and recorded about 150mph. He didn't say where but he says he did 299.9kph and to check the Vapor instrument recorded maximum speed. Sure enough it was there. I had it up to 240kph but I felt there may be something fishy with the accuracy of the data. The speedo seemed to fluctuate a bit wildly. You can see the bike on a run at the Salt flats on Facebook. Search for Vmax Salt Lake racing.

G'day Fire Medic
I'm in Australia and as you might know, bikes can go faster because we like to exaggerate. I'm no mechanic but I bought this bike from a guy only a few months ago. He raced cars and now bikes. He wanted to set a speed record of some sort. He took it to the salt flats at Lake Gairdner in South Australia and recorded about 150mph. He didn't say where but he says he did 299.9kph and to check the Vapor instrument recorded maximum speed. Sure enough it was there. I had it up to 240kph but I felt there may be something fishy with the accuracy of the data. The speedo seemed to fluctuate a bit wildly. You can see the bike on a run at the Salt flats on Facebook. Search for Vmax Salt Lake racing.
Here are some slips for the 150mphScreenshot_20200812-180602_Facebook.jpg

The bike is supposed to be good for 149 MPH stock. That's if you have a space long-enough to let it run, you aren't 6 ft 4 inches, 240 lbs, and you're not at 6,000 ft above sea level. Bikes commonly have about 110 RWHP, the highest I recall seeing in a USA bike magazine test was 119 RWHP.

A Gen II is supposed to be capable of something over 170 RWHP which is better-than a stock Hyabusa, but the Hyabusa hits its 300 KPH from aerodynamics. Power adders on either one can make a lot-more HP. I am not a professional mechanic. My friend's shop works on a lot of Hyabusas they've built with big HP #'s. As you suggested, the 300 KPH speed is suspect. It sounds more-like a 'bench-racing' tall-tale.

Going back many years, Sport Rider magazine in the 1990's, invited a bunch of tuners/shops to run their bikes. The bikes had to be street-legal, they had-to be ridden on the street, and the competition was at a strip and at a top-speed location. This was before the Suzuki Hyabusa was released.

A guy I know from south Florida, Mark Moisan, brought his Suzuki GSXR 1100 to the event. Its main power-adder was turbocharging. He did OK in the dragstrip event, but a short wheelbase bike with a lot of power is gonna be difficult to launch so his times were middle of the pack. Where he really shined was at the venue where they did the top speed runs. His bike did 229 MPH through the speed trap and would have done better, if the cabueretors hadn't blown-off the manifolds. The bike eventually dynoed at something like 365 RWHP though at this competition I think it turned just-over 300 RWHP. Mark Moisan's wife used to ride his record-setter to local Ft. Lauderdale 'bike nights' just to-show that it was a street-capable bike. The boost was turned-down.

One of the Hyabusas from my friend's shop has turned 200+ RWHP above Moisan's Sport Rider dyno run.

Here is one of the bikes from my friend's shop, a '06 Hyabusa, its power-adder is NOS. It has an MTC Gen II lock-up clutch, an air-shifter, an extended wheelbase of 70 inches, and it's turned an 8.59 e.t. at 156 MPH on the engine alone.

Hyabusa-Charlie.jpg

They recently sold a Hyabusa 1363 CC with a 62 inch wheelbase, a large turbo, it turned a 7.38 at 199 MPH, and it's licensed for the street! Obviously, a street-tune is less-than a strip session tune. Their strip they usually run-at is West Palm Beach FL.

The shop built another bike, a 'sleeper' of-sorts, a 2001 GSXR 1100 frame, modified to accept a Suzuki Hyabusa engine which was bored (+5mm) and stroked (+5mm), ported, upped compression, an air shifter, and a 14 inches-over swingarm, done in-house, or with a local fabricator. Did I mention, 'NOS?' They use primarily one machinist, who has his own business, whom I've known since he was a teenager. He used to-be a machinist for Crane Cams, when it was in south Florida, his father was also a machinist there.

Last edited:
"live for these rides" is no joke, Steve is right. The roll on races are loads of fun and catching traffic or running out of road definitely ratchets up the excitement a bit. As far as tuning my bike, he does a hella lot more than that. It runs like it does because of him.

Last edited:
I put on the speedo healer, (which is a popular mod for the gen 2), and while I did so, also tied the speed input wire into the power commander 5. That way I can lean out the A/F mixture at cruise speeds, and keep it set for HP everywhere else.

Latest posts

Back