What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She hasn't been riding too long. She had a 94 Ninja 500 back in the early 2000's for about 2 years. She only had her permit, but she's planning on taking the Riders Course next month. I won't let her get on it until she does since she's planning on more solo riding this time around.

I've been on bikes since I was a kid, so I've coached her as much as I can and I think I've done pretty well, but I'm still no match for what the BRC will teach her.

I just registered for the advanced course. I took it a few years back but will see how I do on the Gen2 with it.
I took it on my Raider back in 2011. I just did the Basic Course again in August (it's a requirement in the Military), but now I have to do the Experienced Riders Course before August. Getting a day to do it around here is like sacrificing your first born. I don't have kids so I'm SOL.

Lost my temperature gauge on an errand yesterday. Fixed it last night. Could not be without it. Although my 86 has never even hinted at overheating, I am in the habit of constantly keeping an eye on the temperature gauge and did not want to be without it.

Attachments

• 8858B905-5CF3-424B-B7F6-428C9A41911A.jpeg
    8858B905-5CF3-424B-B7F6-428C9A41911A.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 33
desert_max brings-up an excellent point. One of the common places for a wire to break is at the connector crimp. Flexing a wire while checking continuity with a VOM will reveal the loss of continuity or a change in resistance. The broken strands may be completely-severed, leaving you with an open circuit (infinity reading) or if only a few strands are still carrying 'juice' (conductive) the resistance will be way-off.

I've had vehicle wires break inside the first inch of the insulation, from the connector, so to the eye it appears the wire is intact, but if you flex the wire, you see it loses conductivity, and usually you can feel the break through the pvc wire jacket.

VMax broken wire at crimp.jpeg

Last edited:
Last night I R/R my rear rotor, new brake pads and flushed the old nasty brake fluid out. I received a new torque wrench for Xmas and was able to find the torque specs on this site, thank you for the info. I did strip my stay bolt putting that on somehow. I have a temp bolt in for now but I need to get the right bolt for that. Still haven’t test rode it yet but it can’t be as bad as it was, it was pulsating pretty bad. I have the fronts to do in near future as well.

Today I learned what a bonehead move it was to clean my disassembled brake pistons with large amounts of wd40 last week.

The service manual wasn’t joking about “Use only clean brake fluid or denatured alcohol for cleaning.”

My seals and o-rings are now hula hoops.

Today I learned what a bonehead move it was to clean my disassembled brake pistons with large amounts of wd40 last week.

The service manual wasn’t joking about “Use only clean brake fluid or denatured alcohol for cleaning.”

My seals and o-rings are now hula hoops.
Like the Deep-South high-school Homecoming Queen at the 20th year reunion, "she done swole-up!"

Here's some eye-bleach if you cannot remove that image from your mind.
Bike Week 2021 Daytona Beach.jpg

Last night I had to remove my pet cock again and replace the O rings. Made another fricken mess, if it leaks again I’ll be purchasing a new pet cock. Before that I rode it and hit vboost a couple times to blow out the carbon;) I still need to install my shift light and front rotors. It’s very hard to take it out of service for these installs.5C4D2CF9-6CBE-4C7E-A1BA-72929E913A17.jpeg

Last night I had to remove my pet cock again and replace the O rings. Made another fricken mess, if it leaks again I’ll be purchasing a new pet cock. Before that I rode it and hit vboost a couple times to blow out the carbon;) I still need to install my shift light and front rotors. It’s very hard to take it out of service for these installs.View attachment 75881

Ok, Ill ask . Where on the max does a pet cock hide.

Iv always referred to my max as she/her.
Does such reference change weather or not an "O"ring would fix it or where said leak comes from?

Last night I had to remove my pet cock again and replace the O rings. Made another fricken mess, if it leaks again I’ll be purchasing a new pet cock. Before that I rode it and hit vboost a couple times to blow out the carbon;) I still need to install my shift light and front rotors. It’s very hard to take it out of service for these installs.View attachment 75881

Ooooohhhh, that bolt head shaped On/Off coolant drain valve.

LOL , when you said petcock I was thinking fuel shut-off......

Sorry I should have been more clear about the drain valve/ pet cock thingy lol. I placed some fresh cardboard underneath it last night and not a drop of coolant 👍 speaking of it as the Vmax is how I’ve always referred to it. Now you have me thinking if it’s a her or a him. I’ve never considered it, now I will have to give that some thought. Today is rain so maybe I can wire up my shift light.

My machines are all gender neutral. Not that I'm trying to be politically correct or anything, I have just never assigned gender or names to any vehicle I've ever owned. Anthropomorphism is not my style. They are machines.

I finally finished the front fairing setup, looks pretty unique and it sure fixes the problem of getting nearly blown off the bike while at highway speeds. If you don't know already I live in Vegas and it is windy here 6 out of 7 days a week! I don't like a full windshield on the bike its ugly in my opinion so i came up with this solution.

Attachments

• IMG_20210324_005811271.jpeg
    IMG_20210324_005811271.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210324_005826981.jpeg
    IMG_20210324_005826981.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 18
Ok, Ill ask . Where on the max does a pet cock hide.

Iv always referred to my max as she/her.
Does such reference change weather or not an "O"ring would fix it or where said leak comes from?

Definitely!

I've always named my vehicles, just now I have Trigger, Wee Tigger, Big Tigger and CCA2.
Only CCA2 is female, the rest of them sometimes look female or male depending on how I look at them, or treat them. They could be hermaphrodites!

I believe if you have a female bike, then treat your bike as you would your wife. I.E. ride her as much you can, and give here a hose down every couple of weeks.

Just buttoned it up after installing my shift light and adjusting the steering bearing with the bounce test. I think it was tightened by the po and he may have went a little tight with the adjustment. It was work to keep a straight line, I did not have any wobble it just felt tight. I figured I’d bust that nut loose while I had the rpm gauge off and out of the way . Found all the info for both projects right here on this forum. Sean Morleys video and I can’t remember who had the information for the raptor shift light but thanks! Definitely a great forum for information.

Installed the scoop inserts I got from Hijinx1812 they looked even better in my hot little hand!
I also back lit them with some high power SMD led's. looks like its breathing fire now!

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_171426846.jpg
    IMG_20210329_171426846.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210330_233525098.jpg
    IMG_20210330_233525098.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210330_233937265.jpg
    IMG_20210330_233937265.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210330_234527379.jpg
    IMG_20210330_234527379.jpg