What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Connected the vent hose to the bottom of the velocity stack box (I hope I'm using the correct terminology). No other vent hoses that I could find are pinched. I started it up without the air filter cover idling fine. My son ever so gently placed the air filter cover on and revs went to the moon, or tried to until he moved the cover out of the way. I had to trim the video but here it is.
View attachment IMG_1126_Trim.mp4

Does it rev on the throttle w/the airbox cover off, or is that when it bogs?

You might consider asking that this set of posts be put under the carburetion subject-header so it gets all the info into one thread, instead of being scattered about in 'what did you do today?' That will help prevent people from asking the same thing, and focus attention on the issue.

As I understand, replacing the lid should enrichen the mixture, as it is reducing available air to the carburetors. What about installing the element & airbox lid, turning-out the idle screw, and trying to get the bike to run/idle well-enough to try balancing the carbs?

Yes, It bogs on throttle with the air cover off.
I’ll ask to move the thread to the carb header or just start a new thread there and concisely put all the information in.
I’ll try what you suggested. I’m out of town now and when I get home I’m taking family out of town for a long weekend. It might be a couple weeks before I can mess with it.
I really appreciate your comments and the others who have commented on it.
I haven’t ridden a Vmax for 23 years and I’m very impatient. It’s killing me to see it sitting in the garage not being able to ride it.
I prayed for patience, now I get to practice it…lol

got my reshaped / recovered seat mounted today... THANKS Sean. looks great, feels great. had to relocate regulator rectifier as it was sittng under my corbin. now to retrain myself to opening the center of the seat for gas fillups.
later, bill

Last edited:
Apologies - I totally misread your post in that I thought you were pressing the air box down onto the carbs whereas you are just refitting the lid.

This is strange. My only suggestion is to refit the air filter and airbox top and wind out the idle speed knob, guessing 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to get it to idle correctly. Once up to temperature, synchronise the carbs and re-adjust idle is necessary.

Well I didn’t really do anything to the bike on an extended long weekend
I waited around for jobbers to drop supplies on the bee yard Sunday finally had all the bits and pieces to get going
Got two sections of the main deck built for the big admin tent
All rough cut lumber heavy as hell but made a good go of it 2 more sections to do this weekend the end result will be 32x 20 deck which will have a wheel chair ramp

I did order passengerpeg lowering kit from Corbin waiting for that to arrive tired of having my wife’s knees in my ears and I’m sure much more comfortable for her
Anyway I’ll squeeze in a ride or two on the weekend just for good measure
Rubber down
PeterA313C22A-1476-4C14-A54B-E7BC8ECA3440.jpegCB2957E0-B49D-4C6E-96B7-C8BEB1514D1D.jpeg

Believe it or not, after a year and a half of ownership my 86 has working Vboost. (Courtesy of the 90). Swapped it over this morning and took a 95° confirmation ride. The servo is whisper quiet and at first I didn't think it was working, but it is. I have been running it full on and have grown to like those characteristics. For sure and as expected, the idle behavior changes. For sure and as expected, the kick in the pants is as familiar and exhilarating as ever. However, I still don't like waiting until 6,000 RPMs for that kick. I'll be doing a "slight" modification soon...

Today swapped the exhaust. Header pipes and the complete mufflers. Secondary header pipes looked good, left them on, just reset the clamps. Rear Shocks and side covers were done yesterday.
Put on a better cooling manifold pipe coming out of the thermostat. When I bought the bike the Cooling Manifold where the drain plug is, was rotted and stopped up big time. Trashed it. Made up one as a temporary (1st Pic). Worked fine, but looked like sh---t. When the replacement came in, I made sure to check it out and sure enough, it was plugged too. Cleaned it all out and prettied it up.
Tomorrow I'll put the radiator back on. Swap out the center stand for a real nice one I got.
That's my helper (Blue) in the 3rd pic. Tells me when it's time to feed the clan. Got 6.

Attachments

• P5290004.JPG
    P5290004.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 36
  • P5290001.JPG
    P5290001.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 40
  • P5290002.JPG
    P5290002.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 35
Cleaned out the brake master cylinder, bled the brakes and then had to rip a little to test my work!

Back