What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone wants my old Gen 1 tank it’s yours if you pay shipping. It’s pretty rusty and no sending unit or gas cap, of course.
Plenty of threads about cleaning a rusty gas tank. I've used a pressure washer and 6% vinegar (cleaning vinegar) but once you rinse it out, after the vinegar cleans it, you have to fill it immediately or it will flash-rust in a half-hour. Also, do NOT leave the gas tank sender in there if you use cleaning vinegar, as it attacks the german silver (potmetal, or zinc) it's made-of, and you'll wonder, "where did my sender go-to?"

VMax gas sender switch.01.jpg
Corroded fuel sender and blank-off plate

If you weren't putting it back-onto a bike, you could even throw a used oil change into it, just to coat it, and then seal it up. Don't forget the gas feed tube.

Last edited:
Plenty of threads about cleaning a rusty gas tank. I've used a pressure washer and 6% vinegar (cleaning vinegar) but once you rinse it out, after the vinegar cleans it, you have to fill it immediately or it will flash-rust in a half-hour. Also, do NOT leave the gas tank sender in there if you use cleaning vinegar, as it attacks the german silver (potmetal, or zinc) it's made-of, and you'll wonder, "where did my sender go-to?"

View attachment 78124
Corroded fuel sender and blank-off plate

If you weren't putting it back-onto a bike, you could even throw a used oil change into it, just to coat it, and then seal it up. Don't forget the gas feed tube.
I did a tank from a 79' GS550 per YouTube. Used Muriatic acid and cleaned and washed it right away. I could practically see the rust coming up. I poured in Marvel Mystery oil and that took care of it.

Guess what I had to do again.:( All because the Ole' Fart didn't think to leak test the tank before installing it. The gaskets for the screws had rotted. Leaking under the bike right on the exhaust. Learning as I go.....;)

Attachments

• P7080001.JPG
    P7080001.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 23
  • P7080002.JPG
    P7080002.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 23
I have learned so much here! For instance to do a rusty tank job take it to a mechanic! If I had to do it twice I in a row I would lose what little mind I have left!

Ah, it's not that-bad! The thread by Buster Hymen is thorough for tank removal. There are several methods of tank rust removal. Then, "assembly is the reverse of disassembly."

See? It only took two lines!

Most people have an old cellphone they have retired from use as a telcom device, but you can use the camera to record your work being done, and use that as your narrative for getting things back-together. Lots of pics helps you to get it right.

I have learned so much here! For instance to do a rusty tank job take it to a mechanic! If I had to do it twice I in a row I would lose what little mind I have left!
A lot of us, or maybe just me, scour this and other forum's just to keep from having to take our bike's or any parts of them to said "mechanic", or tank mechanic.
LOL if I could only count how many things I had to do on the Max twice in a row, carb tune etc.
I give a standing O for him trying based on what he's "learned from this forum".
Git-er done patate657!

Washer, Plate

90202-05187-00

Retail Price: $3.75

Your Price: $2.01

Screw

90149-06011-00

Retail Price: $3.75

Your Price: $2.01

Gasket, Sender Unit

42X-85753-00-00

Retail Price: $10.49

Your Price: $6.56

2006 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12V) Fuel Tank | Ron Ayers
Just ordered all the above with Ronayers.com. Thank You. Went ahead and opened an account with them too. Ordered it just incase I'd be needing it for R&R #3. Didn't save much really, but I have the patience of a Great White Shark (The appetite Too:rolleyes:).
I put the tank back in and been 'LEAK' testing it for about four hours and will give it an overnight testing too. This is what I came up with. Teflon washers and Red Hi-Temp RTV with nut and washers. When all was back in place I coated it with Seal All Sealant. I let the original Sending Unit Gasket soak in WD40 for a couple of days to get it to swell up a bit. It got a little of the RTV too. Ether way I'll have the right stuff on hand, if needed. I can do the swap blind folded. And I'll get a bigger hammer next time.
P7090001.JPG

Can someone tell me what kind of gas mileage these gen 1s get and how much gas remains when the red light comes on? Yesterday I put in about a gallon or better. Today I let it idle awhile and the light came on and I had to switch to reserve. I think it must get the same mileage as my Car, in town anyway.

I remember getting as low 28 and as high as 46. But usually it was around 38-40 with a mix of city/highway and getting on it every once in a while. I can't remember exactly how much fuel was left when the light came on but it was around a gallon. If anyone has the owners manual it says it in there.

Found this through Google. Directed me back this way.

bikedave99

JoinedSep 7, 2007Messages394Reaction score3LocationAR
Sep 29, 2010
No worries man, here is how it works. There is no actual reserve tank, only the main tank under the seat. There is a sensor in the tank that tells the fuel pump controller when their is only .8 (ish) gallons left. The fuel pump controller then turns on the red low fuel light in the instrument cluster and begins to intermittently shut off the fuel pump. This causes the bike to surge and sputter and guarantees that you realize you are real close to pushing your 800lb behemoth home. When you flip the switch on the handlebar from on to reserve, you are forcing the fuel pump to run normally again. Don't forget to flip the switch back when you get gas!

Hope this helps!

Found this through Google. Directed me back this way.

bikedave99

JoinedSep 7, 2007Messages394Reaction score3LocationAR
Sep 29, 2010
No worries man, here is how it works. There is no actual reserve tank, only the main tank under the seat. There is a sensor in the tank that tells the fuel pump controller when their is only .8 (ish) gallons left. The fuel pump controller then turns on the red low fuel light in the instrument cluster and begins to intermittently shut off the fuel pump. This causes the bike to surge and sputter and guarantees that you realize you are real close to pushing your 800lb behemoth home. When you flip the switch on the handlebar from on to reserve, you are forcing the fuel pump to run normally again. Don't forget to flip the switch back when you get gas!

Hope this helps!
This is a flawed explanation in several ways.

The 'fuel pump controller' is actually just a circuit in the ignition box.

The sender in the fuel tank changes its resistance when it's no-longer immersed in fuel. This change in value is read-by the electronic ignition box, and it shuts-off power to the fuel pump, period. There is no "intermittently shuts-off the fuel pump" function. The pod switch once thrown to 'reserve,' restores electrical power to the fuel pump. If you leave it on 'reserve,' and re-fill the tank, you can run the tank dry, and never see the low-fuel lamp illuminate. Get in the habit of pulling to the gas pump, and switching the reserve switch back to the main tank, and turn-off the ignition.

I don't-own an 800lb behemoth and neither do-you, assuming we're both speaking of the Gen. 1 VMax. The Service Manual from Yamaha rates the USA-market bike at 624 lbs. filled with oil, water, and gasoline. A weight-gain of 176 lbs is what happens when you marry the prom queen, and 10 years after that dance, she's put that on, and maybe a bit-more, the trailer floor is going-soft on the side where she sits on the couch all-day, and the queen-size bed mattress is shot, on her side, causing you to have nightmares of rolling-towards a warm pit, which is what's happening, every-night.

Learning the proper function of your bike is important to understanding what's happening when it's not properly-functioning. It's kinda-like a teen marriage on the rocks, someone's gonna-get a double-wide. Or a big repair bill, if you cannot troubleshoot things properly.

It has been on another thread I believe as far as MPG, but I get pretty much 40 all the time on my 2005 but I am a Grandpa and drive like one as the Missus is always on the back with me.
I also get 40 on my 2009 Royal Star.
I love reading these posts. Lots of humor and sometimes comments the don't need to be said. But life is to short to care one way or the other.

Pushed the big pig up a little hill about 20 yards to put it in the trailer. Seemed easier than hooking up to move the trailer. I was wrong! I think pushing my enclosed trailer would have been easier!

It's been an expensive riding season. I only had it out twice last year and did nothing but usual maintenance. This year...new Ignitech @ $300+. Now, apparently having too much fun as the final drive "broke" under hard acceleration. Morley to the rescue lol. Usually people sell when a vehicle nickel/dimes you. Max decided to skipped that level.

Back