What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tires finally showed up at the independent dealer I’ve going to for years (Cycle Specialties, Cincinnati). Called service to set up appointment to have them install them. They then informed me that they will not install the tires if I bring the bike in. I have to just bring the just the wheels due to the age of the bike and parts availability. If they break something removing the wheels they’re afraid they might not be able to parts to fix or some such stupidity. I have to take off the rear drive assembly and everything. Have you guys ever heard of this?

Have you guys ever heard of this?
Not me.

I know a couple guys that do that just because they don't trust people using air tools on their drive shafts and not using proper torque, but I've never heard of a garage refusing to work on a bike because they might break it.

To me, that would tell me to never deal with that shop again as apparently that has already happened: they broke the hell out of something they then couldn't fix.

My tires finally showed up at the independent dealer I’ve going to for years (Cycle Specialties, Cincinnati). Called service to set up appointment to have them install them. They then informed me that they will not install the tires if I bring the bike in. I have to just bring the just the wheels due to the age of the bike and parts availability. If they break something removing the wheels they’re afraid they might not be able to parts to fix or some such stupidity. I have to take off the rear drive assembly and everything. Have you guys ever heard of this?
A lot of shops won't do repair work on older bikes but I never heard of one that would not even change tires that is crazy ! To bad you are not closer to me.

I've seen shops stamp the sales invoice, "Unsafe for road use."

Shops don't want to take-on some old crock which has so-many things wrong, that the owner won't settle the bill, then they have to go to the expense of a lien to get legal possession of a probably crummy bike which can't be sold for the cost of the bill.

Today.. hmm.. lets see..

Oh yea, that mo fckn steerin head bearings fiasco.

That was fun.

20210730_183527.jpg

20210730_182851.jpg

And.... DONE!!!!

20210731_183018.jpg

20210731_194422.jpg

Of course kept addressing little items along the way.

BUT, i am OFFICIALLY in the other side of the mountain now.

"MEAN GREEN" is FINALLY coming back together.

T$

Working on some repainting. Gonna remove the red from the scoops and side covers, going flat black with them. I will post a pic when done.
Coming up is a rebuild of the clutch master cylinder, when the parts get here.

Grinding an 'eyebrow' pair of reliefs 180 degrees-apart into the head stock so you can get a drift punch on the outer bearing shoulder 'the next-time' is quick and easy. The top outer bearing shell comes-out easily, the bottom one is the 'cutting disc or weld' one. Once it's out, cutting those pair of reliefs will make the job easier, next-time. Lotsa-wheelies can cause brinelling to the races, and result in 'notchy' steering.

Did you choose All-Balls or go OEM for the bearings and seal?

Working on some repainting. Gonna remove the red from thescoops and side covers, going flat black with them. I will post a pic when done.

Cerakote Starter Kits & Pro Kits | Shop Cerakote Kits
Probably more-than you want to spend, but it's supposed to be durable. I haven't worked with it myself. Have you tried powder-coating instead of rattle-cans?

Last edited:
What gain do you get from them? I'm honestly in the dark on those.

Honestly? Primarily, I like the look. However, they are intended to firm up the notoriously “flexible” Gen1 Vmax frame. I’ve had them on two Gen1s now, and to me the most noticeable improvement is in the wobbles that frequently creep in on high speed sweepers. Don’t see it anymore. This next observation is a bit more difficult to articulate, but in more technical, spirited riding, in hard switchbacks…which we have in abundance in various places here in Arizona… To me it seems as though the the frame “loads and unloads” under torque and bike is slightly off center as power is supplied.

Maybe somebody else can explain that one better than me, but I noticed improvement in that area.

Yes I asked local bike shop to put on new tires. $50 each and only if I brought in rims only not whole bike. Talk about no customer service. If I'm going to do that I'll buy spoons and do whole job myself

Rode 160 miles up to Grand Lake, OK and down the Copperhead Run thru Spavinaw yesterday in 95+ temps. Just went over the 8000 mark therefore time for an oil change. Was going to go with Mobile 1 T4 Racing but I do not want any premature clutch issues so I will probably go with Rotella T4.😎 20210724_141924.jpg

While i was down here..
Repaint rad cover metal..

20210731_212922.jpg

Did I post this of the sude cover bolts once I buffed and cleared?..

20210731_211636.jpg

O yea. The Pesky Rad side lights.. or reflectors rather.. o wait i mean lights..
Yea.. white, .. or amber?..
O k ow thats right.. required another custom job...

Clear LOOKING, but running are green.. and "TURN signals, will be bright green..

20210729_173005.jpg

And of course, off road use only, and of course.. the special switch that turns the sude lights OFF completely...

T$.

T$

Back