What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out to the Canon Ball Vintage Bike Rally. I didn't wait for them to end in South Padre Island. I meet them up at the Harley Dealership up in San Benito, Tx. Not far. When I got there they were getting ready to head out towards South Padre. Here's a few pics I took.
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010005 (2).JPGP1010007 (2).JPGP1010008 (2).JPGP1010011 (2).JPGP1010012 (2).JPGP1010013 (2).JPGP1010014 (2).JPGP1010015 (2).JPG

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

Apart from the van, some interesting machinery in outstanding condition.

One looks to be ner a car (?) believe originated this side of the pond, interestingly was one of the first (if not the first) to use hub centre steering.

One looks to be ner a car (?) believe originated this side of the pond, interestingly was one of the first (if not the first) to use hub centre steering.
It reminded me of the Movie 'Around The World In 80 Days'. :)

The reason for the pic of the van is that it's used to follow the group to pick-up the unfixable break downs daily for them to work on at the evening stops. I was being reading about it on the link below. Asked a guy about the 5 bikes that were picked up the day before and he told me there was really many more.
https://motorcyclecannonball.com/gallery-page/

I am refurbishing my '86, mostly apart for now. got rid othe headlight watage upgrade they used so many years ago and put it back to stock. I can always use l.e.d. stuff. has anyone any knowledge of swapping a venture charging system to a gen 1? Curious if that would help or hurt? take care out there. wayne b.

I am refurbishing my '86, mostly apart for now. got rid othe headlight watage upgrade they used so many years ago and put it back to stock. I can always use l.e.d. stuff. has anyone any knowledge of swapping a venture charging system to a gen 1? Curious if that would help or hurt? take care out there. wayne b.
Get a MOSFET R/R and do the 'crimp fix.' Little in the way of changing wiring needed. Many solder the wires from the stator going to the R/R to remove the plug between the two, it's only 3 wires, and it makes no-difference which wire from the stator to which wire leading into the R/R, as they're all the same. The MOSFET will require a ground wire to be added to your bike, just choose a good ground point, clean, shiny metal on the chassis or the engine.

Your '86 uses the mount of the R/R to the rear footpeg carrier to serve as the ground. Then the footpeg carrier is attached to the frame, and if that connection becomes loose or corroded, your electrical system will not operate properly.

If you're speaking of swapping the Venture stator and rotor, and R/R, complete, you probably need to use the same type of ignition signal pick-up which interacts with the pulses from the rotor. On the VMax '85-'89, there are two ignition pick-up coils while the '90-'07 uses one pick-up coil for an ignition signal. The CDI box is different too.

Sean Morley probably has more info on the possibility of swapping the entire charging system.

Specs you may find helpful:
The Venturers - Yamaha Venture Technical Support Library

Charging System Specifications:

Output: 14.5 Volts / 435 Watts / @ 5000 rpm
Stator Coil Resistance: 0.357 ~ 0.483 Ohm @ 68º F (20º C)
Stator AC Voltage Output: 100+ VAC* @ 4000 rpm

*The AC Voltage spec is not listed in the Yamaha factory service manual. Observed output is from known good systems. See test procedures below
[end]

From the service manual for the VMax:
14 V and 25 amps, so 14 X 25 = 350 watts, but if you assume ~13 volts then that's more like 336 watts. You see the Venture is greater wattage, operating to-spec.

Someplace like Electrosport or Rick's Motorsports may carry 'hot' stators and the MOSFET R/R's.

Last edited:
Back