What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has exactly one 250. It's literally priceless. He bought it for 37,000 pounds (roughly $50,000) back in 1977.

Dark side of the moon paid for it.
https://classic-grid.com/ferrari-250-gto-nick-mason-1962/
.... and that is the correct registration, not been on the road since 2029.

Note. Over here, if you want a registration different to the norm for the year car is registered (registration have a year indicator) , then you can apply for an existing older one. 1964 would be B reg, eg FER 250 B.
The one you see probably costs a £ few mill in itself.

Screenshot_20220109-212655.jpg

Last edited:
I posted the same question. Perfectly normal.

Rear disc is vented and the bands correspond to the solid sections in an otherwise hollow disc.

The discolouration is due to heat but has no effect on braking performance and can be considered a cosmetic anomaly.

BTW did you have the engine cases bolts power coated?

I've come across coloured bolts in steel (possibly stainless?) and ofcourse Ti although Ti is not available in red. (re Ti bolts, I use them on mountain bikes and have recoloured some, the voltage applied to the bolt when dipped in solution determines the final colour = fun to watch)
I did not have them coated

I did not have them coated
I see now by vented damn I have learned so much here on this forum in such little time. Been riding them sense 89 on and off and by riding I mean just riding lol. I know a lot about the Vmax but not near as much as you guys. Thanks.......i just bought another one last summer

He has exactly one 250. It's literally priceless. He bought it for 37,000 pounds (roughly $50,000) back in 1977. (He does have multiple other Ferrari's though, including an F40.)

There's a gentleman in Texas (forget his name as I saw it on TV 6 or 7 years ago) that owns 2 of them. When he sends them to car shows, he flies with them on his own aircraft. He does not insure them.

When he was told it was stupid not to insure the cars in transit, he said, "Why insure them? If the plane goes down and they go down I'm going down with them."
Anyone who takes me out to a free lunch, can Brag they drove a Ferrari around for Lunch....:)

Speaking of Pink Floyd's Nick Mason's Ferraris and his 250 GTO:
He has exactly one 250. It's literally priceless.

While I agree they are valuable, it's never priceless, it's just a question of what someone's willing to pay for it.

Read this, if you want to try to determine a price on a rare road-going Ferrari: Ferrari's 60th American Anniversary Party (caranddriver.com) Preston Henn, a car owner who raced in various motorsports competitions, and who wasn't shy about spending money, to buy something he wanted with four wheels, owned one of the most-desirable (read, 'expensive') Ferraris in existence, a 1965 275 GTB/C Speciale. An acquaintance of mine managed the Preston Henn collection. Henn is now deceased. The collection manager once drove with and for Henn and was a success on his own in IMSA GTP.

1641776889807.png

The yellow #24.

Last edited:
Had some trouble with the ignition system and am still waiting for a replacement pick-up coil. Have already replaced the coils, leads and ignition controller. Figured they all lasted 30years so if I am going to spend money on it, I may as well do my best to get another 30 years and just replace the lot.
Thought to myself, if I am going to make this machine last another 30 years, it might be nice to have a 2nd gear again.
Shout out to Sean Morley and everyone else in the forum as well as the Australian VMax face book groups who have posted so much info about Transmission rebuilds. I have been quietly gathering demos and advice over the past 1-2 years, I think I have got this. As long as the parts show up………
Wish me luck.

Attachments

• 7692A543-1F36-4EE0-BC92-E475B62008D9.jpeg
    7692A543-1F36-4EE0-BC92-E475B62008D9.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 14
  • B64A8EB2-D843-4246-BE65-BBA8C4D66769.jpeg
    B64A8EB2-D843-4246-BE65-BBA8C4D66769.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 46651612-6AA5-4716-B831-9F5206195129.jpeg
    46651612-6AA5-4716-B831-9F5206195129.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 12
  • D9715A66-D24F-47E7-8B61-6F796FBBAF7D.jpeg
    D9715A66-D24F-47E7-8B61-6F796FBBAF7D.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 11
I see now by vented damn I have learned so much here on this forum in such little time. Been riding them sense 89 on and off and by riding I mean just riding lol. I know a lot about the Vmax but not near as much as you guys. Thanks.......i just bought another one last summer
Well the more you learn about the carbs will show how much ya dont know LOL
AFR Meter anyone? F.I. Pleeease!

Dam-it Kyle, LOL I think you won the lottery long time ago.
Its just spelled a little different for you. Life
Guy said this one has a knock . I am gonna get it fired up and see what it is. If it is a rod or something I am going to put the 98 motor in it I have sitting here.

I believe this is indirectly related to this ignition question; What does the ignition box do? I am asking how the box determines timing. Does the pickup coil sense the "1st" trigger edge, then uses that edge to fire the coil then somehow advances timing based on RPM and (vacuum) until the "max advance" edge on flywheel) is sensed or is the 'max advance' point determined (with no fire) then the next rotation firing based on a calculated initial timing. I am confused as how timing is established between trigger points.
Just asking. Thank You .

I saw the Dark Side of the Moon Charlotte Park Center show in 73. Smallest venue they did it at. Rode down to New York City from greater Boston for The Wall.

Never saw Gilmour’s post-Waters Pink Floyd (regret that) but did see Waters do Dark Side of the Moon beginning to end with my two sons some years back. Was thrilled to be able to take them to that show.… even though he was still radically left wing, voicing a biased opinion on American politics.

However, this thread is about what did I do to my Vmax today. I actually did this yesterday, and that is that I actually got the darn thing out and blew out the cobwebs. I am finding it more and more difficult to do that, and cherished every moment yesterday. Another loop south of the Metro area across the reservation through and through Arizona farm country.

A good ride on a Vmax that still seems to be on top of his game even though he’s been idle quite a bit lately..

Attachments

• E3AAF125-EF5A-4C03-9B85-B388A425B529.jpeg
    E3AAF125-EF5A-4C03-9B85-B388A425B529.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back