What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, I made the first modifications to my VMax, which I bought a couple of weeks ago.
Clear lens turn signals, and VMax branded caps arrived.
Also got a new cover from China
so you just used a hair dryer to get the sticker off? I have a flat black tank and the sticker drives me nuts! And that’s a short drive

I dunno how other do it, but I have used carb cleaner once the label is softened with the hair dryer, use the slim red wand, and spritz a bit at a time. You can get plastic razor blades to help pull-up the edge. They have them at body shop supplies stores. NAPA and Ace Hardware carry them. If the sticker has been on there for years, the paint beneath the stickers will be a different shade from the rest of the tank paint.

Last edited:
so you just used a hair dryer to get the sticker off? I have a flat black tank and the sticker drives me nuts! And that’s a short drive
Yes, I warmed it with a hair dryer, then cleaned it with my fingernail. I wouldn't say it was easy, but it wasn't very difficult either. Then I removed the remaining glue with microfiber and alcohol.

4500 13,000 Miles carbs completely gone thru,new brakes,new fork seals,new,plugs and wires,new,tires,fresh paint on engine,calipers,master cylinders, swingarm,all fluids just changed and probably some stuff I am forgetting.
That looks gorgeous ! Can I bother you with some questions ? Did you paint the engine in place ? The engine appears to be painted with the same paint or at least the same color. What kind of paint did you use on the engine and exhaust flanges ? Can you briefly describe the process you used on those parts to make them look new ? Clean, scuff, polish, mask, paint, clear coat ??? It looks I have a couple of those projects coming up.

That looks gorgeous ! Can I bother you with some questions ? Did you paint the engine in place ? The engine appears to be painted with the same paint or at least the same color. What kind of paint did you use on the engine and exhaust flanges ? Can you briefly describe the process you used on those parts to make them look new ? Clean, scuff, polish, mask, paint, clear coat ??? It looks I have a couple of those projects coming up.
Thanks ! I did paint this one in place but it is better to take them out. I already had the carbs ,intake & exhaust & valve covers off the bike so it made it easier. Lots of cleaning making sure no oil or grease anywhere & then lots of sanding & taping off the fins etc. I used PPG basecoat clear coat paint. I sprayed it with my mini HVLP gun

I dunno how other do it, but I have used carb cleaner once the label is softened with the hair dryer, use the slim red wand, and spritz a bit at a time. You can get plastic razor blades to help pull-up the edge. They have them at body shop supplies stores. NAPA and Ace Hardware carry them. If the sticker has been on there for years, the paint beneath the stickers will be a different shade from the rest of the tank paint.
You can use orange oil and it will bring the sticker and adhesive off very easy.

Yes, I warmed it with a hair dryer, then cleaned it with my fingernail. I wouldn't say it was easy, but it wasn't very difficult either. Then I removed the remaining glue with microfiber and alcohol.
Rub orange oil on the sticker let it set for 3 to 4 minutes and take a plastic scraper blade and it will pretty much fall off. No heat needed

If you do that, the indicators won't work.

You will either need to fit ballast resistors in parallel with the LED bulbs or fit a LED flasher relay which means you loose the self-cancelling feature.
Or just remove the bulb in your instrument cluster for the signals and your leds will work just fine

Made a long round trip drive to Virginia today to pick up this 88.
Good grief, that poor bike needs some help! I bet it's one loud sumbitch, looking at the exhaust.

Rub orange oil on the sticker let it set for 3 to 4 minutes and take a plastic scraper blade and it will pretty much fall off. No heat needed
Around here they call that stuff "Goo Gone"...sorta smells almost like citrus? Works great.

No goo gone don't have shit on orange oil you use orange oil and see the difference it will make goo gone look like water. It smells just like an orange and wear gloves because some people don't react well to it.

Latest posts

Back