What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief, that poor bike needs some help! I bet it's one loud sumbitch, looking at the
Good grief, that poor bike needs some help! I bet it's one loud sumbitch, looking at the exhaust.

Just a different can on a Kerker it is not really any louder than a normal Kerker competition can

Just a different can on a Kerker it is not really any louder than a normal Kerker competition can
Oh I see. It looked like a straight pipe from my vantage point, not much room for a baffle. Interesting that it's not much louder.

No goo gone don't have shit on orange oil you use orange oil and see the difference it will make goo gone look like water. It smells just like an orange and wear gloves because some people don't react well to it.
Well how about that. Where do you get it? Doing a search, I'm only finding orange oil as an "essential oil" for aromatherapy stuff.

Fired up the Gen 1 for a run, but it was popping from the left muffler at 25% choke. Let it idle on choke for 10 minutes. Researched this forum to brush up on the Shotgun procedure. Would not idle without choke. Figured it was an air bleed issue. Could not find the IR thermometer, so I took it out for an Italian tune up from my house to the harbor on nice empty stretch of road. Had to turn up the throttle stop screw to get idle off choke at 1000 RPM. Pulled into the garage and had to put the throttle stop screw back where it was. No more popping and smooth idle. Soon as the gas hits reserve - going to add a can of Berryman B-12.

Fired up the Gen 1 for a run, but it was popping from the left muffler at 25% choke. Let it idle on choke for 10 minutes. Researched this forum to brush up on the Shotgun procedure. Would not idle without choke. Figured it was an air bleed issue. Could not find the IR thermometer, so I took it out for an Italian tune up from my house to the harbor on nice empty stretch of road. Had to turn up the throttle stop screw to get idle off choke at 1000 RPM. Pulled into the garage and had to put the throttle stop screw back where it was. No more popping and smooth idle. Soon as the gas hits reserve - going to add a can of Berryman B-12.
Sea Foam worked for me to get the gum out.

Perhaps time to swap out the gas filter, and take a peek at the bottom of the gas tank. Drain one at a time, the fuel bowl contents, to see if you flush-out any water or fine particulate material. I usually use a transparent container.

Congratulations to Bill Seward for 136K miles. Bill, have you seen the 'red-eye' winking back-atcha, yet?

I installed a set of Morely case guards/hiway pegs. Opted for the gen 1 passenger pegs and chrome finish. I had bought the guards off here in not so good condition and sent them to Sean to make them up. Beautiful work to say the least. Now to put them to use.

Attachments

• 20220707_143516.jpg
    20220707_143516.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220707_143512.jpg
    20220707_143512.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220707_143420.jpg
    20220707_143420.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220707_143427.jpg
    20220707_143427.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 17
Got out for a 400kms ride the other day on my 2004. First decent ride I've had with it, encountered good / bad weather, had fun keeping up with my buddies Diavel. 150km fuel range sucks, need a throttle lock (right hand was getting tingley), need to further reshape my SportMax seat (sticks out too much at tailbone area), feels great at 120 / 130 kmph cruise missile speed :). Was a mix of a BMW 600 something, H-D HydraGlide (?), Ducati Diavel and my 2004 V-MAX. Bike felt great (better than I was expecting) in the twisties, once I got the corner timing and balance figured out :). Looking forward to another good ride after I do my further comfort / customization tweaks to it!

20220706_162238.jpg

Perhaps time to swap out the gas filter, and take a peek at the bottom of the gas tank. Drain one at a time, the fuel bowl contents, to see if you flush-out any water or fine particulate material. I usually use a transparent container.

Congratulations to Bill Seward for 136K miles. Bill, have you seen the 'red-eye' winking back-atcha, yet?

Only once. Scared the crap out of this old man My son has seen it often, from what he tells me.

After years of wiping a thin layer of oil off the tops of the valve covers, I grabbed my tools and swapped all 16 of those little rubber seals beneath the chrome Allen head fasteners. Most of them were somewhat deteriorated, brittle and oily, so with any luck the seepage will stop. I managed to get them all out one at a time, the worst part was getting the old seals off the screws. Eventually I got them all, and took off for a ride. I don't expect to see results for a while, because the seepage was minor, but all 16 were bad. I did notice that the new seals compressed nicely as I tightened the screws, so I think I will be good to go.

What about the valve cover seal the one around the perimeter? Have you changed that?

Back