What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: stripped my wheels

The previous owner had the wheels and drive shaft powder coated. I wanted to do something to break up some of the black so I tried some wheel tape. I like the look. My 2004 has silver stripes on the faux tank that I tried to match. I'm not sure how easy it would be to paint over the powder coat if I could find someone to do it. What do you think of it?

Wheel%20strip_zpsmfrw4n4c.jpg
?
The stripes look good.
Not sure I'd bother with paint. From 5' away you can't tell the difference. If you ever decide to change your mind it's easy to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've got some red trim tape for my wheels, to hopefully match the red scoop and side cover trim. How much hassle was installing the tape?

I've got some red trim tape for my wheels, to hopefully match the red scoop and side cover trim. How much hassle was installing the tape?

Not too bad but I pulled the front wheel and brought it in the house. I have an understanding wife! It probably needs to be 70-90 degrees to lay down good. I'm still a little nervous about removing the rear wheel. Never had a bike with a drive shaft. May wait until Spring and try to do the rear wheel on the bike. I got the idea from seeing one year that came with red stripes on their wheels. I think it was the year with the red flames.

I like your Silver stripe and the 06 and 07 had the Red stripe on the wheels.

Attachments

• 20170126_205716.jpg
    20170126_205716.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 16
Take a ride with me!

Today I uploaded a video from last weekend, where I rode from my house out to the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, down Topanga Boulevard. It's a helmet mounted-cam, so you will look wherever I point my head (I tried not to get you sick! lol)

It was about 55ish degrees out and sunny, great day for a ride. It's more of a cruise than a rocket ride so you can make out the scenery and virtually enjoy the ride. PT 2 soon!

https://youtu.be/8NgppC7uCPU

Not too bad but I pulled the front wheel and brought it in the house. I have an understanding wife! It probably needs to be 70-90 degrees to lay down good. I'm still a little nervous about removing the rear wheel. Never had a bike with a drive shaft. May wait until Spring and try to do the rear wheel on the bike. I got the idea from seeing one year that came with red stripes on their wheels. I think it was the year with the red flames.

The rear wheel is easier to remove on the vmax than on a chain drive bike.
Here is a how to:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=13338

Doesn't take long at all.

I bought some wheel stripes off ebay a few years back. They were pre-curved to match the wheel size. Went on pretty easy and looked good. I did the opposite of you. I had a red stripe and put on black to cover it up. Ended up selling the wheels. I pulled the stripes off and cleaned up the adhesive. Couldn't tell they were ever installed.

After all the years and miles, I've had a lot of practice pulling the wheels on my Max. The rear is a piece of cake. Just be sure you have it elevated high enough to get the where out from under the rear fender.

I have an extended swingarm and a 200 width rear tire is a little more involved but on a stock bike it is pretty straight forward following the suggestions given.

Take a ride with me!

Today I uploaded a video from last weekend, where I rode from my house out to the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, down Topanga Boulevard. It's a helmet mounted-cam, so you will look wherever I point my head (I tried not to get you sick! lol)

It was about 55ish degrees out and sunny, great day for a ride. It's more of a cruise than a rocket ride so you can make out the scenery and virtually enjoy the ride. PT 2 soon!

https://youtu.be/8NgppC7uCPU

Sweet video! It's a shame you got stuck behind those cars for so long, I would've passed them. Haha.

Beautiful place.

I put an order in for an oversized fuel tank from Exactrep. Yesterday I realized that the stock tank would need to come out for rust repair anyway...

Took a break to work on the Hilborn injection, then the shop gargoyle told me to get back to work on the supercharger. So a little more progress. Slow progress, but still progress. :biglaugh:

Attachments

• 20170206_163844-1.jpg
    20170206_163844-1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 28
Took a break to work on the Hilborn injection, then the shop gargoyle told me to get back to work on the supercharger. So a little more progress. Slow progress, but still progress. :biglaugh:

Nothing wrong with slow progress. That's the only kind I ever make.
Looking good up there KJ. Keep at it! Love seeing this thing come back to life and hoping to see a strip run before next winter!

Nice KJ, bet your stoked to get her on the track! What is the wheelbase on the beast?

Hit some v-boost for a second on a nice little ride this afternoon. Damn this thing is a beast. I'd almost forgotten. Also fresh oil is nice.

Back