What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original Post
Just took her out for a local 30 mile run, after changing out the exhaust system. Replaced the original ones from the previous owner with a better stock set.. (Love the look of the stock and, I didn't want to fool around with the carbs, so I kept it stock). I did not know that I was loosing so much back pressure, until I saw the rusted out tubes underneath.. WOW!! Didn't know the stocks were that loud, now that ALL the sound is coming out the rear..

With further investigating, I found the baffles were extended from the seated stock position, making them louder. (looks like nuts were placed in between the pipe ends, and the baffle plates). I thought I messed something up during installation. Took her for a 100 mile run today.. It's much louder than before, but it gets peoples attention way quicker now.. (I guess that's what the original pipe owner wanted). I guess I'll have to get used to it.. Don't trust trying to remove those small hex head bolts that's holding the baffle plates in place..

Last edited:
I gave her a much needed first bath this weekend, and she doesn't like water!

Ran like shit and tried to die and popped up through the carbs for 20 minutes or so after. I felt like I took care not to get much water under the cover (I have K&Ns - no air box.)

So - I guess I'm a bit concerned that if I get stuck in any sort of rain storm, I just need to park her (under something waterproof.) And, do I need to put shower caps on these air filters when I wash her next time?!

I gave her a much needed first bath this weekend, and she doesn't like water!

Ran like shit and tried to die and popped up through the carbs for 20 minutes or so after. I felt like I took care not to get much water under the cover (I have K&Ns - no air box.)

So - I guess I'm a bit concerned that if I get stuck in any sort of rain storm, I just need to park her (under something waterproof.) And, do I need to put shower caps on these air filters when I wash her next time?!

First of all, make certain that the drain holes in your heads are not plugged, and that the rubber at the bottom of the spark plug boots is still in place.

I was amazed at how the progressive front springs made a difference in the handling characteristics. I now can use all of my Avon radials without fear of the bike trying to buck me off

Installed some new ngk spark plug caps a d trimmed up my wires. The tips were pretty corroded and it seemed I was developing a little stumble/misfire under acceleration. New NED wire will be in tomorrow and new plugs. Then once she's running right I'll throw on the R1 COPs I picked up the other day.

Original Post
Quote:
Just took her out for a local 30 mile run, after changing out the exhaust system. Replaced the original ones from the previous owner with a better stock set.. (Love the look of the stock and, I didn't want to fool around with the carbs, so I kept it stock). I did not know that I was loosing so much back pressure, until I saw the rusted out tubes underneath.. WOW!! Didn't know the stocks were that loud, now that ALL the sound is coming out the rear..
With further investigating, I found the baffles were extended from the seated stock position, making them louder. (looks like nuts were placed in between the pipe ends, and the baffle plates). I thought I messed something up during installation. Took her for a 100 mile run today.. It's much louder than before, but it gets peoples attention way quicker now.. (I guess that's what the original pipe owner wanted). I guess I'll have to get used to it.. Don't trust trying to remove those small hex head bolts that's holding the baffle plates in place..

Not liking the excess noise and headache after 4 hours of riding, decided to remove the extended baffle plates and re-mount them in the stock configuration. Now my max sounds like I'm used to and it's smoother. Just rev testing, the throttle responds smoother from Idle to above 6K. Judging by my mirrors, at 3500RPM, in 4th Gear, doing about 60, reflections are smooth again.. No more vibe shakiness.:biglaugh:

Just finished installing a Shorai lithium battery to replace my tired lead acid. Hopefully no more worrying about hot starts.

Just finished installing a Shorai lithium battery to replace my tired lead acid. Hopefully no more worrying about hot starts.

3 years for me, and still kicking strong :eusa_dance:

Well I don't isn't do anything to the bike but have asked Sean to put me the list to receive one of his valve shim kits and we will see where that leads. I'm hoping I didn't burn out on exhaust valve if they are hanging open... on the flip side, me and my buddy Phil are stuck in Salt Lake City. His Street Glide is now using a quart of oil every 150 miles... smoking like a blue hair on a Vegas grinder. (Stole that from Finnegan) Needs a tear down. Any body in the area want to have a beer tonight? What's a good hotel close to the Harley dealership?

Took off the UFO slash tip on my 90, plug the megaphone with new packing on.. it's a little bit better sounding.. oh and the 95 got the Apex battery installed, had battery four three weeks on a trickle charger. I wasn't feeling like changing it, but it started acting up again..

Well I don't isn't do anything to the bike but have asked Sean to put me the list to receive one of his valve shim kits and we will see where that leads. I'm hoping I didn't burn out on exhaust valve if they are hanging open... on the flip side, me and my buddy Phil are stuck in Salt Lake City. His Street Glide is now using a quart of oil every 150 miles... smoking like a blue hair on a Vegas grinder. (Stole that from Finnegan) Needs a tear down. Any body in the area want to have a beer tonight? What's a good hotel close to the Harley dealership?
Wish I could help wood, how's the trip otherwise? Did you get some good seafood while on the 101?
Hit me up on your way back through if you got time.
Brad

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Took off the UFO slash tip on my 90, plug the megaphone with new packing on.. it's a little bit better sounding.. oh and the 95 got the Apex battery installed, had battery four three weeks on a trickle charger. I wasn't feeling like changing it, but it started acting up again..
I have the slash cut on my 05 and was considering a different slip on option. I'll get headaches after 20 minutes of riding if I don't wear earplugs. Are you still loud as shit or did it help?

I used my UFO 4/1 Dragstar w/slash-tip exhaust when I was at Daytona, and I doubt there were many H-D's there that were louder. Now normally I am sporting a much-quieter exhaust end, http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31804&highlight=frankencanister but it's not a risk to getting a ticket for a modified exhaust, while in Daytona during Bike Week. Maybe if you sat next to a LEO and revved it, or did a burnout, then you would be given a citation.

Anyway, the Dragstar 4/1 slash-tip is yes, too-loud, unless you ride w/earplugs. I had Jon Cornell make me a megaphone to replace it, which did lessen the loudness, but it wasn't until I made my 'Frankencanister' replacement that things got quiet.

Back to the UFO 4/1 slash-tip at Daytona: I was at Boxenstopp, hanging with the 'Max guys and gals, and there was a biker bar up the street. People were running their bikes, whatever the make, up & down the street. One VMax rider on his supercharged bike did a 'hasty-departure' as he exited, that sounded pretty-good, the belt/impeller whine blending with the exhaust note in a mechanical symphony that turned heads.

I drove past the biker bar, turned-around, and gave it a good blast past the bar, and saw people come out the door as I passed, to see 'what was making all that racket, coming down the street?' Heads swiveled as I passed the biker bar, and like the sharp report of a large-caliber handgun, there was no doubt that "something wicked this way comes."

I have the slash cut on my 05 and was considering a different slip on option. I'll get headaches after 20 minutes of riding if I don't wear earplugs. Are you still loud as shit or did it help?

A fantastic ride ended up on the hook. I had just swapped out my stage 7 needles and slides, a few other goodies, into my spare carbs. The regular carbs are getting a rebuild. I was concerned about the 150 mains being a little light. But the beast roared like she never has before. The roll-on in 5th was better than it ever pulled. That was the fun part. Screaming down the interstate about 40 miles from home she sputtered and stalled. I got her off the road and no juice. I waited for Progressive to get me a truck for +3 hours. I knew there wasn't a Vmax Bro anywhere close. 20 minutes on the charger and she came right back to life, In a few minutes, investigation time. I just installed a Shinogren regulator, but who knows? What sucks is Christian is coming from 120 miles away to ride with me today. To be continued...
Steve-o

8 months into the rebuild and I'm plumbing the fuel lines. Getting nearer to the finish line. I have enough parts to do another nitrous system, so that will be next.

I've shelved the supercharger for the time being. I'm going to be running the Hilborn with a 100 shot of the squeeze. Still using alcohol for fuel. :)

Attachments

• 18951434_1986382434721102_8522774486578719723_n.jpg
    18951434_1986382434721102_8522774486578719723_n.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 18952840_1986382484721097_1774980623603028024_n.jpg
    18952840_1986382484721097_1774980623603028024_n.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 18740159_1965059590186720_7508051936306896353_n.jpg
    18740159_1965059590186720_7508051936306896353_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
Parts polishing party
addddd06d31f99a002e4c7e4860202c0.jpg