What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had a fork seal leaks, not bad but still. I used that seal leak blade tool and it worked. Is it possible to add some fork fluid "top off" without breaking the forks down and replacing all fluid? Seals seem fine now. How would one top off??

100_0415.JPG wow... nice paint job... my 86 still seems to hold air so can't say about the fork rebuild.. had to put new tires, battery, oil change and bleed all they hydraulics... put she still will hit 110 in a heartbeat.... sure puts a smile on my old face!!!

Tearing her down for 2nd gear repair, full carb rebuild, swing arm bearings and gas tank coating.

Attachments

• 20190608_083321.jpg
    20190608_083321.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 25
Well I had a fork seal leaks, not bad but still. I used that seal leak blade tool and it worked. Is it possible to add some fork fluid "top off" without breaking the forks down and replacing all fluid? Seals seem fine now. How would one top off??

Get the front tire off the ground, bleed off any air, remove the fork caps and add fluid. No problem with that.
This issue is, how much fluid do you add?
Typically, a certain amount of ounces is measured and installed in a dry fork. You won't be able to do that without draining everything and starting over.
However, you could remove the fork springs, compress the forks, and measure the fluid height.
I can't think of any other way to do it accurately

Somethin I’ve been wanting to do since I installed Bar end mirrors a few years ago. What to do with the ugly holes left over by the OEM mirrors. (see 1st pic).

Yes, I coulda gone with the typical hole plug cappy type things, but that seemed too obvious. I wanted something more.. pokey and dangerous.

Here's what I did the other night. ¾" x 2” spikes (found online for about 2 bucks each).

¼ - 20 threaded screw is what they come with, however there's not enough room to fit the screw in from bottom. I got a couple SS nuts and 2” bolts. Cut the heads off the nuts and used it as a “rod” and threaded into nuts on bottom. Clutch side nut is odd shape underneath, so had to grind nut down and then chamfer it to get it to sit flat.

Then held that in place with pliers while threading the spike on the top. ( I suppose this may be obvious & didn’t need a step by step, but here we are.)

Check the photos..

T$

Attachments

• spk 1.jpg
    spk 1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 38
  • spk 2.jpg
    spk 2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 35
  • spk 3.jpg
    spk 3.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 35
Lookin at the old metzler, realized it was time for some new rubba. Tire had tread left, but dry rot. (Clearly im not doin enough miles.)

Shinko 777 -170/80/15.

No issues fitting it in. In fact, there's a hair more clearance than the metzler had, which made it go in easier than the old one came out. Havent rode yet due to rain, but the tread looks cool anyway. ;)

New tire and old tire..

T$

Attachments

• 20190616_164610.jpg
    20190616_164610.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190615_105502.jpg
    20190615_105502.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 23
Experimenting with a new look, the Vmax Roadster. Added a Daymaker and a new tail light "The Primo" from Ghost Rider Customs. Also had to replace the final drive after a near catastrophic failure in 300 rear wheel assy. No problem, design issues made much better my in repairs. I think the headlight and taillight may signify a possible completion save for some sort of graphics to complete the roadster idea I'm looking for The Vmax Roadster Psyco!20190612_190907.jpg 20190612_190907.jpg 20190612_191215.jpg 20190612_191433.jpg 20190612_190907.jpg 20190612_191215.jpg 20190612_191433.jpg 20190514_220437.jpg

Attachments

• 20190413_214522.jpg
    20190413_214522.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 16
3265F229-62ED-47A2-B10A-C4861A18120F.jpeg 9D275778-666B-4364-9AD4-3B9293A1187A.jpeg 69376E64-322F-4A71-B096-A2FF8C3F7B1C.jpeg Pshew, where to start?
1. Shift shaft oil seal. Had to remove the clutch basket in order to get the whole shifter assembly out. Stuffed a bunch of rags around the basket and backed off the nut with an impact. Heard from a reliable source that it was an old Jon Cornell trick. Worked like a charm.
2. Starter clutch. First off... brutal. For never having done this before and watching YouTube videos I figured “piece of cake”. Sean makes it look so easy. After a few choice words and a couple adult beverages to calm the nerves the starter assembly was removed. Original starter clutch was cracked and all three bolts were loose. Easy to put back together though...
3. Front rotors. Had a pair of galfer rotors bought last year just gettin around to puttin them on now.

Experimenting with a new look, the Vmax Roadster. Added a Daymaker and a new tail light "The Primo" from Ghost Rider Customs. Also had to replace the final drive after a near catastrophic failure in 300 rear wheel assy. No problem, design issues made much better my in repairs. I think the headlight and taillight may signify a possible completion save for some sort of graphics to complete the roadster idea I'm looking for The Vmax Roadster Psyco!

The bike looks great!

The bike looks great!
Thank You Sir! Saturday I'm riding to a house I was working at in my area and I notice a guy following me in an older G-Wagon. When I got to the house he was all over my bike, from his first words I knew he is a brother Maxer. He told me about his "85" with low miles that had been parked since 90 something,needs carb work. After literally 2 hours of exchanging stories I find out the guy live 3 blocks north of me! Tonight I went over, met his dog, sign of a good guy, and his girlfriend. I had the carbs out and split in a half hour, another 45 mins opened up ready for a soak at Havana machine. He had a blown Viper and a built Cummins pick-up for four wheel toys, nice. As shown his bike is CLEAN! unmolested with the only mods being super trap slip-ons. I bought up Exactrep on my phone and could see a mod monkey seep into his soul right before my eyes.....IMG_08161.jpg

Experimenting with a new look, the Vmax Roadster. Added a Daymaker and a new tail light "The Primo" from Ghost Rider Customs. Also had to replace the final drive after a near catastrophic failure in 300 rear wheel assy. No problem, design issues made much better my in repairs. I think the headlight and taillight may signify a possible completion save for some sort of graphics to complete the roadster idea I'm looking for The Vmax Roadster Psyco!

Looks pretty good Gent, (however ;) ) I've always thought that your bike was one of the sickest lookin Maxxes I've seen. Mucho custom work, yet maintained a look that shadowed the original, unlike those crazy extreme things they do in Europe..which are cool, but those bikes have almost nothing in common with the "original" other than the engine [modded as well]. Yours and that infamous red & chrome one that has been in my screen saver photos for years.

Your bike still looks awesome, but I did (personally) like the previous rear fender look.

T$

Swapped tires for Metzler M7'S, drained the ATF and filled the forks with 10w Bel-ray oil. Set my emulators stiffer to get more dampening. pulled a shim washer out of the forks to slightly increase sag. Slight adjustment to my head bearings, one notch .Cleaned up my pumpkin with some paint. Now some dry weather, for a tire break-in ride, would be good.

Back