What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure I know what to make of that chart - is it assuming the person is nude? It makes a huge difference riding in a T shirt, shorts and sandals to having a thermal vest, fleece, leather jacket, thermal long johns, leather torusers, winter gloves, boots, ballaclava, helmet etc.

... but, yeah, it is pretty damn cold out here too, as expected in winter :rolleyes:, but check out the freakish weather in Madrid , -10 C and Snow ... at a guess Madrid would be not too far off Maimi weatherwise so WTF??

Today I rode my Vmax, thing ran great. 37 degrees and sunny, had to take it out.

I rode mine too. But it was 65F out. It was good therapy for me and I'll tell you why. I just reinstalled the carburetors on my CBX only to find find that something is still not right with them. I consoled myself by going out and flailing the Vmax. I feel better now.

Changed oil, filter, rear drive oil. Finished my powder coating. Removed every bolt I could see and polished them with my buffing wheel. To cold to ride for me so been bored. Also found this when I pulled the clutch cover to coat it. Still finding things on the bike I didn't know.

Attachments

• 20210107_141643.jpg
    20210107_141643.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 18
can't take my Vmax out until all the road salt is gone, so I have put some fuel stabil in the fuel tank to see if it stops gumming up or fuel deterioration, or maybe it's just a waste of money

I've not used that stuff but it needs to be in the carbs, a better option may be run the carbs dry (run engine then kill power to the fuel pump) and then squirt the stuff into the carbs using a syringe connected to the hose. A bit of a faff TBH.

Incidentally does the idle jet (the one in the block that always get blocked) sit in fuel?

yes I put it in the fuel tank and then ran the engine for 10+ minutes so it would get some into the carbs,
I don't know about the jet block sitting in fuel,
I'm not keen on leaving carbs dry anymore as I did it on my old GPZ750 once, and when I put fuel in again it leaked from every where, all the seals and 0-rings in the carbs and fuel tap had shrunk and some had cracked :rolleyes:

You've got to feel a bit sorry for Herbert Kainzinge, gen 2 has about the same power at a fraction of the cost, probably not as good handling ... but same weight as R1??!! :oops:
Kinda hit the nail on the head. But in the end it’s doing what u want. U get more power & less weight getting a Kawasaki H2. But for a lot of guys it’s the journey, of building something unique. He built bike that is his alone.
I’ve seen some gen1’s that I would much rather have than a g2.

You've got to feel a bit sorry for Herbert Kainzinge, gen 2 has about the same power at a fraction of the cost, probably not as good handling ... but same weight as R1??!! :oops:
Remember he built that a dozen years before the Gen. II was marketed. I suspect he built it for durability and overall performance. Anyone can make a "hand-grenade," just run the supercharger or turbocharger boost high, without modifying the fuel delivery and cooling systems to handle the output. Forget about the chassis mods, the brake mods. Is your life insurance paid-up? Enrolled in AFLAC?

I don't think I have the rider skills to use something like that 1680cc bike to its capabilities. I would like to watch someone who does, riding that bike.

At Daytona Beach one Bike Week, I saw a bike I'd read-about in several articles, 'Lucky' Keizer's DOHC V-twin, liquid-cooled 5 liter bike he built from two cylinders chopped-off a WW II-surplus Rolls-Royce Merlin aircraft engine. Oh, and it was supercharged... and it weighed way less-than a Gen I. As far as home-built specials go, I think that's my favorite bike, even-over Allen Millyard's work, which I admire very-much.

I spoke with 'Lucky' Keizer, and he affirmed, "all the boys with their sportbikes want to run me, but it's never even-close!"

Rode again, another 25 miles. I saw 2 other idiots out there, again 37 degrees. One of the other idgets did not have a helmet on, not that I care if he wears one but all he had on was a leather bandana type cover. I’m wearing a baclava all the under gear and leathers with a helmet, I couldn’t imagine no helmet in this temp. Did you ride today? I think I’m going to go wash it off now, so that’s what I’m doing/did to my Vmax.

Today I installed a Denalihub 2 and replaced my battery. I am going to perform the airbox mod and get ready for Nash flashing my ECU. I will take possesion of a pair of Akrapovic slip-ons including the Cat eliminator pipes

I took another blue sky 65F ride today. Got eyeballed by a cop I hadn't seen just after romping on it pretty good pulling away from a light. Good thing he was already busy writing some poor schmuck a ticket in the plaza parking lot. From the way his head swiveled as I went past, I'm pretty sure he would have nailed me if he hadn't already been engaged.

I took another blue sky 65F ride today. Got eyeballed by a cop I hadn't seen just after romping on it pretty good pulling away from a light. Good thing he was already busy writing some poor schmuck a ticket in the plaza parking lot. From the way his head swiveled as I went past, I'm pretty sure he would have nailed me if he hadn't already been engaged.
Nah, he might pull you over to see about insurance, tag, and D/L but if he can't clock you, about the only thing he might nab you for, is "exhibition of speed," if you burned-rubber that he saw, or popped a wheelie. Here in Florida, wheelies are expensive, if you're convicted. $1,000 first offense, second offense $2,500 and possible license suspension .
Motorcycle Wheelie Dangers - Kelley | Uustal

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (state.fl.us)
316.2085 Riding on motorcycles or mopeds

A mandatory hearing is required for 30+ MPH speed violation

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (state.fl.us)
318.19 Infractions requiring a mandatory hearing

Took the psyco apart for the yearly paint job touch-up and decided to take it all down and have it done by a recommended shop instead of my rattle can effort. Just when I get back from dropping off the bike's body and fenders I got the four carb kits ,USPS, I ordered back around Thanksgiving. Four(4) complete kits for $45.75!
Sold by wdgr out of California on Ebay.
Ill be the guinea pig, but definatly keeping all the old parts LOL. In fact hell yea Im keeping the not so old parts,
I couldn't touch one complete carb kit for less than 200 bucks from Babbits Online Parts and thats IF they can get
their parts.
So per the mod monkey I will get the carbs apart and kits installed ASAP while waiting for the paint job to get finished, he said they would start on them this coming week.
Will post what I can of the carb work/performance weather permitting.
Pics CARB KIT.jpg20210112_184617.jpg20210112_184655.jpg

Took the psyco apart for the yearly paint job touch-up and decided to take it all down and have it done by a recommended shop instead of my rattle can effort. Just when I get back from dropping off the bike's body and fenders I got the four carb kits ,USPS, I ordered back around Thanksgiving. Four(4) complete kits for $45.75!
Sold by wdgr out of California on Ebay.
Ill be the guinea pig, but definatly keeping all the old parts LOL. In fact hell yea Im keeping the not so old parts,
I couldn't touch one complete carb kit for less than 200 bucks from Babbits Online Parts and thats IF they can get
their parts.
So per the mod monkey I will get the carbs apart and kits installed ASAP while waiting for the paint job to get finished, he said they would start on them this coming week.
Will post what I can of the carb work/performance weather permitting.
Pics View attachment 74859View attachment 74861View attachment 74858
4x Carburetor Carb Repair Rebuild Kits For YAMAHA 85-07 VMX12 V-Max Kit Vmax New | eBay

Sold by azpartspro for $36.92 & free shipping. That's a lotta-stuff! I'll be watching for the results. There are other sellers even-less, one has slides and diaphragms complete, $61.96 4X For yamaha Vmax V-MAX 1200 carburetor repair kit diaphragm Air Cut-off Valve | eBay & free standard shipping, China, HK or Taiwan, estimated @ up-to 1 month

The K&L kits I found on a search, not as-many parts, but I've used K&L kits before, and have had good results with 'em.

4 Carburetor Carb Repair Rebuild kits 85-07 VMX12 V-Max Kit Vmax 18-2879 | eBay

Ordered one of the cheap kits above. It will be perfect for assessing whether this neglected, project '85 I have will be worth putting some effort into.

Latest posts

Back