What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of like these Tokico/Busa calipers and the front wheel spokes. I was surprised at how close they rode.
Very nice update on the vmax brakes...but i think that without high pressure brake lines and a proper brake master cylinder is a half-done job!
...but for me a six pot caliper from gsxr 1000 K1-K2 is much much better and ultra lighter!!!!...

What did i do to my vmax today!?...that is a very big discussion!!!.....some monthes ago i have decited to leave the old shaft drive engine to rest and i've finished the drive chain conversion engine with the forged internals!....i have also start modifications to the gas tank , i have instaled the gsx 1400 swingarm....chain protector....new OZ wheels from aprilia tuono factory.....brembo disk rotors.....also modified a set Over exchaust 4 to 1 that i've buy from ebay.... and i've made an exchaust canister by my self.....i love v max and busas and i have three of them!....but never in stock form!!...

Attachments

• lg 2961.jpg
    lg 2961.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 19
  • lg 2962.jpg
    lg 2962.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 21
  • lg 2964.jpg
    lg 2964.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 21
What did i do to my vmax today!?...that is a very big discussion!!!.....some monthes ago i have decited to leave the old shaft drive engine to rest and i've finished the drive chain conversion engine with the forged internals!....i have also start modifications to the gas tank , i have instaled the gsx 1400 swingarm....chain protector....new OZ wheels from aprilia tuono factory.....brembo disk rotors.....also modified a set Over exchaust 4 to 1 that i've buy from ebay.... and i've made an exchaust canister by my self.....i love v max and busas and i have three of them!....but never in stock form!!...

Wow. That was a busy day!

hahaha...not very busy day!....very busy mounth!!!!! many photos coming soon...maybe tomorrow!....

for now....my other finished project bikes!...

Attachments

• hayabusa turbo 022.jpg
    hayabusa turbo 022.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 23
  • hayabusa turbo 021.jpg
    hayabusa turbo 021.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 24
  • hayabusa turbo 018.jpg
    hayabusa turbo 018.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 20
  • hayabusa turbo 030.jpg
    hayabusa turbo 030.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 19
  • hayabusa turbo 033.jpg
    hayabusa turbo 033.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20161103_170707.jpg
    20161103_170707.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20161103_170757.jpg
    20161103_170757.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20161103_170843.jpg
    20161103_170843.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20161103_170825.jpg
    20161103_170825.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 20
I put spark plugs on my 85' Vmax today. I'd like to give back (For the 1st timers) my input, for the info I've received on the Forum. I've learned a lot from what I've read from many of you, thank you. Very good stuff. I read and compare people's input on how to do stuff. Sometimes I'll take that and combine it and then do it my way as I did today. As many of you do, I'm sure. Okay onward we go. Bare with me...
Keep in mind that the plugs I'm removing have been on the bike for 35 years I strongly suspect and they looked it (14,460 miles on the clock. Barn Find).
-Started by removing the Boots and the rear Boot mounts (Sprayed contact cleaner in each boot.) the day before and saturated the tops of the plugs with WD40 and let it sit over night.
Next Day:
-Removed the seat and fake tank
-Did not remove the rear plastic baffle plate that sits over the rear Head. But I had to remove the hold down fake tank bracket. I have an aftermarket fuel pump I couldn't get around it with the extension for the left side rear plug.
-I started by blowing everything off the top of the plugs with carb cleaner, so no crud would fall in once the plugs come off.
-Could not find a 5/8th socket that fit ( :oops: ). Had 4! So I went over to Orielly's and bought a 19mm deep socket ($6.50). Unfortunately it was 1/2" drive. No biggy, used it. Might be cheaper as a 3/8' drive. I took the 19mm socket to the grinder and thinned out the front end a bit. Now I have a 'Special' Gen 1 Vmax spark plug socket.😜
DSC09983.JPG
- The socket dropped right in and I used the 2 wobble extensions for removing the back plugs. I used the small wobble extension for the front. Did not even have to remove the side Air intakes. Plugs came out like butter...
- I read in here somewhere to use fuel lines on the plugs to insert the new ones. Great idea. I learned that when I was a young car mechanic. Long one on the back 2 and the short one on the front 2.
- Snugged up all plugs and Voila...! About 45mins to an hour work time. Not counting the overnight WD40 soaking.
Below are the Plugs I used and gapped at .030.
DSC09984.JPG
Socket cost = $6.50 . Also used the famous 10mm socket for removing the seat (Everyone should have 10 of those, because....?😢). Plugs were about $2.60 each. Total cost of everything, about $18.
DSC09981.JPG
Again thanks and hope this will help someone, to do it themselves.

Last edited:
I put spark plugs on my 85' Vmax today. I'd like to give back (For the 1st timers) my input, for the info I've received on the Forum. I've learned a lot from what I've read from many of you, thank you. Very good stuff. I read and compare people's input on how to do stuff. Sometimes I'll take that and combine it and then do it my way as I did today. As many of you do, I'm sure. Okay onward we go. Bare with me...
Keep in mind that the plugs I'm removing have been on the bike for 35 years I strongly suspect and they looked it (14,460 miles on the clock. Barn Find).
-Started by removing the Boots and the rear Boot mounts (Sprayed contact cleaner in each boot.) the day before and saturated the tops of the plugs with WD40 and let it sit over night.
Next Day:
-Removed the seat and fake tank
-Did not remove the rear plastic baffle plate that sits over the rear Head. But I had to remove the hold down fake tank bracket. I have an aftermarket fuel pump I couldn't get around it with the extension for the left side rear plug.
-I started by blowing everything off the top of the plugs with carb cleaner, so no crud would fall in once the plugs come off.
-Could not find a 5/8th socket that fit ( :oops: ). Had 4! So I went over to Orielly's and bought a 19mm deep socket ($6.50). Unfortunately it was 1/2" drive. No biggy, used it. Might be cheaper as a 3/8' drive. I took the 19mm socket to the grinder and thinned out the front end a bit. Now I have a 'Special' Gen 1 Vmax spark plug socket.😜
View attachment 76846
- The socket dropped right in and I used the 2 wobble extensions for removing the back plugs. I used the small wobble extension for the front. Did not even have to remove the side Air intakes. Plugs came out like butter...
- I read in here somewhere to use fuel lines on the plugs to insert the new ones. Great idea. I learned that when I was a young car mechanic. Long one on the back 2 and the short one on the front 2.
- Snugged up all plugs and Voila...! About 45mins to an hour work time. Not counting the overnight WD40 soaking.
Below are the Plugs I used and gapped at .030.
View attachment 76847
Socket cost = $6.50 . Also used the famous 10mm socket for removing the seat (Everyone should have 10 of those, because....?😢). Plugs were about $2.60 each. Total cost of everything, about $18.
View attachment 76849
Again thanks and hope this will help someone, to do it themselves.
If i was you.....i would better put another type of sperk plugs....platinum for example...from Honda Varadero gen1....they are more expensive but they last more and they are far better!....DPR9EVX-9....

vmax project photos episode 2...

Attachments

• processed.jpeg
    processed.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 14
  • processed (1).jpeg
    processed (1).jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 14
  • processed (2).jpeg
    processed (2).jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 13
  • processed (3).jpeg
    processed (3).jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 13
  • processed (4).jpeg
    processed (4).jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 12
  • processed (5).jpeg
    processed (5).jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 12
  • processed (6).jpeg
    processed (6).jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 13
  • processed (7).jpeg
    processed (7).jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 14
  • processed (8).jpeg
    processed (8).jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 18
  • processed (9).jpeg
    processed (9).jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 18
Well, that's pretty-interesting. Looks like some of the final drive engine case has been machined away, and a carrier bearing is installed in the plate machined to fit the outboard stub of the chain drive shaft. Somewhat similar to what the drag racers do for the Suzuki GS and Kawasaki KZ air-cooled drag bikes, to run wide slicks.

If i was you.....i would better put another type of sperk plugs....platinum for example...from Honda Varadero gen1....they are more expensive but they last more and they are far better!....DPR9EVX-9....
Keep that in mind, thank you. But I don't ride a much. I have other rides. I don't tour or race. If my bikes get more than 1,000 miles on them in a year, it's because they were stolen from me.

Removed all 4 carb drain screws and cleaned them up, were quite grotty.

Just wanted to be sure I can get them out once carbs are back on.

Removed all 4 carb drain screws and cleaned them up, were quite grotty.

Just wanted to be sure I can get them out once carbs are back on.
That 'grottiness' is now freely-residing in the threaded port and the float bowl, if the carburetors are on the bike. Do you have them off, and stripped-down? That makes it easier to blow-out the crud from the drain port.

Sort of like these Tokico/Busa calipers and the front wheel spokes. I was surprised at how close they rode.

Finally had the time this evening to finish the 'busa brake upgrade. Went for an after dark putt and am well pleased. Bike stops NOW. I think I will start practicing my stoppies now.

Not mine, but Christian's 91. The steering got tight and notchy. So, it was race removal day. All I had was the Mig welder with a limited A/C circuit. It didn't get the race quite hot enough to distort and drop, but a couple of beads gave me something to set a punch on, on the bottom race. Nothing is to tedious when it comes to making a vmax right for the season. Especially for your riding partner.

Finally had the time this evening to finish the 'busa brake upgrade.
What s the busa upgrade? Is it 6 pot tokico callipers and braided hoses using the original vmax master and front discs (early or later ones?)

How do these callipers differ to the yzf750, which are sumitoto? Was an adapter involved?

What s the busa upgrade? Is it 6 pot tokico callipers and braided hoses using the original vmax master and front discs (early or later ones?)

How do these callipers differ to the yzf750, which are sumitoto? Was an adapter involved?
Yes.

Latest posts

Back