What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday it got a USB port installed in prep for keeping my GPS charged for a road trip this summer :)

Is the power to the USB switched?

There will be some electronic components to convert 13 v to 5v and will draw a tiny amount of power, which given enough time, will drain the battery.

A quick calculation shows battery is down to 50% after one month (I measured 12.3mA for a 2 usb port device).

Bike was popping and backfiring and I could feel one cylinder thump. Changed to a freshly rebuilt carb set I made up and Synched carbs on my gen 1, Then no popping . Found compression only 50psi (warm) on RF cylinder. Was hoping for tight valve. Nope, went up to 100 psi with oil squirt. Others were 110 and 120 psi (also low) and increased 10 psi more with oil squirt. Decision time. I have a couple spare engines, probably both need something so will construct an engine stand to mount them after looking at bearings. Then run compression checks to see if I have a candidate for a cheap replacement fix. will look into rebuilding (modding) costs of this motor, DIY and Sean.

I JUST REMOVED MY CAT OUT OF MY VMAX 2020...BUT NOW IT BOGGS OUT AT 45 MPH WHEN I PUNCH IT..WHAT DO I DO NEXT?? I KEEPED MY STOCK PIPES AND IT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL..DO I NEED TO REMAP MY COMPUTER?? CAN SOMEONE GUIDE ME THAT HAS GONE THRU THIS?? THANX👍

Have you
I JUST REMOVED MY CAT OUT OF MY VMAX 2020...BUT NOW IT BOGGS OUT AT 45 MPH WHEN I PUNCH IT..WHAT DO I DO NEXT?? I KEEPED MY STOCK PIPES AND IT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL..DO I NEED TO REMAP MY COMPUTER?? CAN SOMEONE GUIDE ME THAT HAS GONE THRU THIS?? THANX👍

Have you had the ECU flashed?

Have you

Have you had the ECU flashed?
NO I HAVE NOT..IVE HEARD OF IT..I THOUGHT THAT WAS JUST TO TAKE OUT THE GOVERNER NO?? OR IS IT TO REMAP THE BIKE? LET ME KNOW..PLEASE IM WORRIED ABOUT MY BIKE I DON'T WANNA MESS ANYTHING OUT..😳😬😬

Thanks to help for a brother my vmax 1333 motor got put in today. Got her rolling with her +3 swingarm and venture chrome diff. Sitting on some sexy ass 17’s. Chrome courtesy of Sean Morley. Wrapped in straight crotch rocket tires. 190/55/17 and 120/70/17 conti sport attack 2 hypersports. Kybs out back and Sean Morley’s R1 inverted out front. Filled with race tech’s gold components. 6 pot sumitumo’s out front amd a R1 rear gold dot with the dots removed and chromed and the rear powdercoated gold to match the fronts. I got a lot of help with this bike. I would never take credit for something I didn’t do alone. Jamie Marsten has helped me beyond what words can say. And Denis K staying with me today till after 8 to get her rolling. Well the love and brotherhood I’ve been shown warms my soul. So many people have had a hand in this build that I’ll wait till I’m done to thank them. They don’t want the thanks and that’s not why they did it. But a real man always thanks the people that help him when he needs it. I’ve been in two wrecks in a year. Neither my fault. And all I want to do is ride. Helping a brother achieve his dream is something words can’t explain. I hope when it’s done and I get a nice Kyle klegg paint job, my vmax brother and sisters will think my vision did the vmax justice

Attachments

• 8F049D9C-D9EC-4675-B9DA-370A47B003AB.jpeg
    8F049D9C-D9EC-4675-B9DA-370A47B003AB.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 7467DAE1-3C3D-41C7-90E7-0415DF985C19.jpeg
    7467DAE1-3C3D-41C7-90E7-0415DF985C19.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 4CF8D85D-3815-4094-8B35-317175461E9D.jpeg
    4CF8D85D-3815-4094-8B35-317175461E9D.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 720F8438-6F63-4AE4-BE2A-70AB7F0781F7.jpeg
    720F8438-6F63-4AE4-BE2A-70AB7F0781F7.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 28
IMG-20210612-WA0000.jpeg

Installed Bitubo & wish I'd done this earlier!

Had it set to "80/90kg - Street" when I ordered it. What an un-be-lie-va-ble difference compared to the 23 year old factory shocks... May sound like an open door, but still .. 🤯

View attachment 77536

Installed Bitubo & wish I'd done this earlier!

Had it set to "80/90kg - Street" when I ordered it. What an un-be-lie-va-ble difference compared to the 23 year old factory shocks... May sound like an open door, but still .. 🤯
USD-mounted rear shocks, reminds me of dirtbikes in the time before the long-travel rear-ends. Back-then, Konis mounted like that, or Cornutt's were a hot-ticket. Then there were the Red Wing 'hammerhead' shocks, endorsed and run by Tony DiStefano. When Yamaha released their 250 and 360 MX bikes with their remote reservoirs, it seemed like impossibly-trick components. The next year Yamaha released the Monoshock, and the world changed.

Got some more miles on.
Didn't start off well. I've put on a few pounds during lock down since the last outing and it being hot (26C which I know doesn't even register as barely warm on the desertmax scale) meant getting the leather trousers on was a struggle, the sweat due to the heat was snagging on the lining stopping them from being pulled up.

Start to warm up the engine before setting off I notice petrol pouring out on the LH side, why now??!?! Its never done this before. Turn off, wipe down, tap the carb and restart. All good must have been sticky float valve.

After returning home noticed a split in the plastic radiator surround at the top bolt, how the hell did that happen?

So this afternoon it is out with the 2 part epoxy to fix that.....

Also noticed my hacked had ended up having no left shoulder protector padding yet seem to have to have two left elbow pads WTF??!!

Oh yeah, someone recently was asking about the position of the temperature gauge needle. On mine it sits just below horizontal, say between 3 and 4 o'clock.

Last edited:
Got some more miles on.
Didn't start off well. I've put on a few pounds during lock down since the last outing and it being hot (26C which I know doesn't even register as barely warm on the desertmax scale) meant getting the leather trousers on was a struggle, the sweat due to the heat was snagging on the lining stopping them from being pulled up.

Start to warm up the engine before setting off I notice petrol pouring out on the LH side, why now??!?! Its never done this before. Turn off, wipe down, tap the carb and restart. All good must have been sticky float valve.

After returning home noticed a split in the plastic radiator surround at the top bolt, how the hell did that happen?

Also noticed my hacked had ended up having no left shoulder protector padding yet seem to have to have two left elbow pads WTF??!!

Oh yeah, someone recently was asking about the position of the temperature gauge needle. On mine it sits just below horizontal, say between 3 and 4 o'clock.
Get yourself some Under Armor sweat gear. It’s like long underwear but very thin and breathable. You wear it as a base layer and your leathers don’t have sticky damp skin to ….we’ll stick to. Everything slides on and off easily.

That's a fine suggestion. 👍

As my main hobby is mountain biking (is it still called that?), I'm sure I have a set or two of lycra leg coverings.

It's gonna need more work than that. The mounting point is totally fractured so needs to be rebuilt. I'm using the thin aluminium cover from a floppy disk as backing then attach the mounting. If need be, I can always get hold of replacement panel but where is the fun in that.
. DSC_1457.jpg

Well, there's always the street squid view of 'strip it off,' and you should be cutting bike weight by 0.03% for a respective boost in performance... . Are you gonna use JB Weld? Some wire screen pressed-into the mucilage should help to obtain some strength, and to prevent future cracks. I suspect several thin coats would be better than a peanut-butter glob at one time.

Funnily enough, I am using JB weld (you can see the black gunge over the cracks) after the epoxy failed to set - can it go off?

With hindsight I should have ground back some of the plastic at the back to fit a reinforcement mesh but I'm gonna wing it with just JB weld.

Latest posts

Back