What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at Pics of mine today. She's in the hospital getting a tank transplant. I'd go visit but I would just miss her more.
I bought a replacement OEM tank from the dealer for my bike, ad I had to wait a couple of months for it. This was awhile ago. Not having to deal with rust in the pilot jets anymore made the price worth-it.

Went for a ride Sunday with my son who just bought a 2014 MV Augusta Rivale…800cc triple, 410 pounds wet. Of course we had to see which is faster. 2nd gear, 30mph through 4th gear for me. He hit 5th…Dead heat. I remember when nothing could stay with me except a Gixxer 1000. Oh well, I still like my Max waaaaay better. From a dead stop I think I would crush the MV as the thing wheelies like mad.

Went for a ride Sunday with my son who just bought a 2014 MV Augusta Rivale…800cc triple, 410 pounds wet. Of course we had to see which is faster. 2nd gear, 30mph through 4th gear for me. He hit 5th…Dead heat. I remember when nothing could stay with me except a Gixxer 1000. Oh well, I still like my Max waaaaay better. From a dead stop I think I would crush the MV as the thing wheelies like mad.
Cycle World did a review of that MV Agusta: 2014 MV Agusta Rivale 800 Review | Cycle World They liked it.

1626803517253.png

Yeah, I saw that. It was fun but man is it a different experience. It does feel like your sitting over the front wheel. I couldn’t ride it everyday. It’s a “hypermotard” type. My son’s a motorcrosser so he loved it! I will admit the wail of the triple at 13,000rpm is intoxicating and addicting.

Started sorting my birds nest of a wiring job (from previous owner, i only added a lil.) ;)

Finally painted her up proppa. So now im doin the cbr mod the "right way".
I never had a real inner fender bit, (i improvised back then to mount my old one). So, i got a real one. Cut and welded it to accept the NEW, NOT smoked light as a bolt in, rather than "hacked in."

O yea, and a new AVON front, and a "new" ( bout a mile?) Shinko 777 rear.

Big things FINALLY happening.

Heck yes.
20210728_121156.jpg
Rats nest.. better do do all the testung BEFORE assembly. ;)
(Fyi, lighting all sorted, and LEDs flash at proper rate (another luxury i never had.

Fender inner mock up..(yall seen this million times, so no details to bore ya.

20210724_144235.jpg

And the avon..lettering..lol.
20210722_182349.jpg

The CBR CLEAR taillight: (dont skimp and get cheap sh!t.. , my opinion anyway. Tho I do believe LEDs are a lil overpriced.).
20210724_144812.jpg

And...

One teaser:
20210728_133848.jpg

:)

Back to garage now.
This is very difficult on a friggin fone.

T$

Last edited:
That paint looks radioactive! It looks great, as-much as we see.

For many years, at the Indy 500, green was a 'bad luck' color. Back then, they didn't allow women in the pits either. Janet Guthrie, Lynn St. James, and Danica Patrick killed that one.

Kinda wondering why the 'what yall do to your max today' is in the off topic section...

I cant think of a MORE relevant Vmax topic than "what you did to a vmax today". (But I dont run things, now do I?) RHETORICAL QUESTION, BTW.

Right, topic.

My rats nest of tail section wiring.
As such:
20210728_121156.jpg

After cleaning up, and prepping for a more appropriate wiring job:
Lots O' LEDs in my future. And, ill be able to take parts off without cuttin wires..

20210728_172632.jpg

Why yes, I did make a new harness for 10 bux from a harbor frought trailer wiring kit.
AND the only colors that are different are black is now white ground. And the ope blue running light wire is now RED.
TA - Da!

Till next time.

LOTS more stuff to add during my re assembling, but let us savor one step at a time. ;)

T$

One of the more amazing pictures of wiring on a Vmax I've seen was from Sean Morley. He replaced all of the gauges and the like and took a picture of all the wiring he got rid of.

It looked like it was enough to wire the bike all over again. It was A LOT.

Your finished wiring looks very nice and tidy. Well done.

Thanks,
Kinda funny tho,
I was thinking that the main drawback of the trailer harness as a new rear max harness, was steppin up to that FAT 16 ga wiring. BUT for 10 beans, sht, cant GET 25 feet of 5 different 16 ga wires for 10 bucks...

Point is, I just noticed during tonight's foto op, I gad purchased a DIFFERENT trailer harness from HF, a couple yrs ago,.. IN 18 gauge!!! Gaaahh!.

No prob, but i prefer to work 18 over 16 any day, especially when starting with lighter gauge..

I digress..
Damn, gotta stop yamnerin on and build..

Rock!

T$

So, while Im in here messin around, I FINALLY got to installing the GREEN LEDs that I had purchased years ago.. 2019 I believe the box said..?..

I guess this 'new paint' dream of mine had been a long time coming..odd, as its only a couple o plastics, and a faux tank right?.. lol.

Anyhoo.. as mentioned, the Green LEDs:

20210729_170452.jpg

Weird how the Neutral light looks blue here. Its as green as.. well something really green in real life.

Say,.speakin of bulbs.. Im kinda wonderin why the bulbs I removed had these lil condoms.. was it to tone down the brightness?..

20210729_163038.jpg

Was hoping that the Hi beam and the Low fuel light were wearing the condoms as well, to brighten THEM up a bit. But no, they're already brite as can be. Lol.

(Oh, snap, i may put my spare led in the hi beam slot). ..
T$

Bulb sleeves were a JC Whitney/Warshawsky item, back in the 1950's/'60's. Some guys would go look at Big Sis's hand nail polish to coat their bulbs on the cheap. Lacquer paint worked better, because it didn't dim the bulb like nail polish does.

Say,.speakin of bulbs.. Im kinda wonderin why the bulbs I removed had these lil condoms.. was it to tone down the brightness?..

View attachment 78579
'Condoms' are actually to tint the clear bulbs to whatever color the condom is...pretty common trick the Ford Lightning guys used to use on bulbs to get their Auto-Meter gauges to match the electroluminescent dash cluster. That or a green Sharpie...

'Condoms' are actually to tint the clear bulbs to whatever color the condom is...pretty common trick the Ford Lightning guys used to use on bulbs to get their Auto-Meter gauges to match the electroluminescent dash cluster. That or a green Sharpie...

So, would you say this is NOT a factory setup,..the condom things?

Yea, they Do seem bluish when unlit, but all my Gauges seemed like clear/white bulbs with no added "coloring" noticeable.

Anyone else have the condoms on the gause light bulbs when switching to the leds? Just curious I guess. As im now in the LED gage club. ;)

T$

So, would you say this is NOT a factory setup,..the condom things?

Yea, they Do seem bluish when unlit, but all my Gauges seemed like clear/white bulbs with no added "coloring" noticeable.

Anyone else have the condoms on the gause light bulbs when switching to the leds? Just curious I guess. As im now in the LED gage club. ;)

T$
They are normal and come oem on the stock dash bulbs.

Need a pic with the overhead lights out.

Absolutely coming. In fact, i had a decent pic after assembling cluster..

Sorry, but I GOTTA do this a little slower.

Saddens me, a bit, that this forum slowed to a crawl, and depending on time o year, only about 5 people eyeing the threads.

I fell in love w max around 98.

Seriously srarted searching around 2012.

Bought mine aug 2012. (Shoulda waited, but this happens, cldnt risk.)

Slooowly getting her wher I dreamed,

9 years later..

ALLMOST DONE cosmetically, still need the rear rim, but 100 projects aren't too bad. $1000 projects hurt. Look great, bit hurt.

Years behind the rest, only a few members left here. Heck, maybe a wide rear rim will go on sale, or be gifted, just cuz someone has o e layin in the shed.. just cuz folks want me to shut it?..

Anyway..
Slow n steady..

T$
Pics to follow

Back