What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tried the throttle twist and start. Seems to work better. 👍 But if I don't let the enigine warmup enough with the choke on, it will shut down and clatter as it's doing so.
Are you saying you hear starter clutch clatter when the motor has been running, however briefly?
I cant visualize the rollers self engaging to that clatter position without starter function, hey I wonder if those little springs are seated and working right in your starter clutch.....

I wonder if the starter clutch isn't fulling disengaging from the crank and those balls are rattling around?

New tires and front pads

Attachments

• 20210906_144433.jpg
    20210906_144433.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210906_144428.jpg
    20210906_144428.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210906_144422.jpg
    20210906_144422.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 13
Even cracked open the throttle as you advised and works much better, but stills clatters a bit. It will clatter on shutting down when the bike first starts and has not warmed up enough to run on it's own.
I wonder if the starter clutch isn't fulling disengaging from the crank and those balls are rattling around?
When I take it down next time I'll replace the clutch again, I'll check it good before pulling it off. For now I'm done with it. Seems to act better with cracking the throttle. That will have to do for now. I will be starting on my v65 project and I'll be needing to buy a new Battery. I'll test it on the vmax see if it makes a difference to the starter clutch. Shows good Voltage. But you never know. The battery is 4-5 months old and could be dragging.

I didn't work on the vmax but I was able to get started on the v65 magna I bought for $200. Was able to get to turn over and start/run with carb spray. Tomorrow I'll be connecting up the rest of the stuff and see if I can make it run a little longer....🍻

Even cracked open the throttle as you advised and works much better, but stills clatters a bit. It will clatter on shutting down when the bike first starts and has not warmed up enough to run on it's own.

When I take it down next time I'll replace the clutch again, I'll check it good before pulling it off. For now I'm done with it. Seems to act better with cracking the throttle. That will have to do for now. I will be starting on my v65 project and I'll be needing to buy a new Battery. I'll test it on the vmax see if it makes a difference to the starter clutch. Shows good Voltage. But you never know. The battery is 4-5 months old and could be dragging.
A weak battery won’t make your starter clutch clutter. A weak battery allows the starter clutch to snap back which is what loosens the bolts. If your starter clutch is still clattering, the box of rocks sound it will only get worse till you take it back apart and fix it.

A weak battery won’t make your starter clutch clutter. A weak battery allows the starter clutch to snap back which is what loosens the bolts. If your starter clutch is still clattering, the box of rocks sound it will only get worse till you take it back apart and fix it.
Some times no clattering and cranks right up. Other times, it'll clatter once or twice then start right up. Messing with the 85' V65 project now. The 2-timing Bit---t can sit and wait, for now....:mad:

I didn't work on the vmax but I was able to get started on the v65 magna I bought for $200. Was able to get to turn over and start/run with carb spray. Tomorrow I'll be connecting up the rest of the stuff and see if I can make it run a little longer....🍻
Them are fun carburetors to do sucks taking them on and off.

Some times no clattering and cranks right up. Other times, it'll clatter once or twice then start right up. Messing with the '85 V65 project now. The 2-timing Bit---t can sit and wait, for now....:mad:
If you thought the VMax carburetors are a pain in the ass, have fun with that V 65's! I did the carbs on a friend's V 45 and they were time-consuming. Shadows aren't much-better, though there are only two.

Hey Guys

Could someone tell me what is the larges size Tires I can go to on my 85' v65 magna. The back now has B140x90 16" (Seems kinda thin and wore out) and the front has 110x90 18" (Looks good but curious). Thanks

Back in the day, standard size-rear as I recall on a KZ was a 130, so a 140 was the big-boy on the block. Then the VMax was released with a 150! Gargantuan! Oldsters who are familiar with choppers of the '60's will recall the tire/wheel of choice was a 5.10 X 15" which was a VW Beetle tire size. The 'suspension' of a hardtail H-D knucklehead, panhead, or shovelhead was just-such a tire, with maybe 20psi in it, enough to keep the bead seated, and low-enough to provide some kidney-cushioning. Ah, the 'good-old days!'

The bike was getting very hard to start since letting it sit for a couple of weeks. Took the carbs down again. Everything was clean inside, but what I found both right side chokes were freezing up in the ON position. Something else I had missed before. Removed the chokes, soaked them and cleaned them. They where very dirty and gummed up.
I am beginning to understand the expensive of having to pay for a complete carb overhaul needing to be done the correct way.... 👍
Made sure to connect the Coils correct also...:(

Back