What equipment do I need?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
I hate to start a thread just for this but I looked and I can not find the info I need. I have no doubt it is out there.. I simply cant find it.

I have two parts I need to replace. My handle bars and my foot shifter.

What size Allen wrench do I need to take the handle bar off?

And the second and more difficult thing would be what tool do I need to remove the foot shifter? Its just the shifter, not anything else.

Get a decent set of metric open/box end wrenches and a set of metric socket wrench allens and you'll be good to go on most everything on the bike. T-Handled allens are nice, but some hard to break loose bolts make the socket style a necessity.

The only other thing worth buying is a set of metric sockets.

I like using a torque wrench on my bikes, so that I can make sure everything's as tight as it's supposed to be.

Hmmm... I'd have to look at my shifter... I can't remember if it's held on with a c-clip or not. I get the two bikes mixed up sometimes. lol

Chris

Yup, my clip took a hike one night and scared the carp out of me. Like it was totally stuck in second... I figured out how to hold the shifter toward the bike and shift so I could get home..

Buy tools at Harbor Freight if you can, prices are ridiculous and quality's not bad...

Need wrenches to remove the shifter linkage and snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring.

Can't remember sizes on anything, sorry. No sense in buying one anyways. One wrench or allen key is usually not much cheaper than buying a set.

If you have the tool kit you have the wrench and allen key you need. Still need snap ring pliers.

The foot pedal itself is held on with a snap ring. You'll need snap ring pliers to remove it. Those are one thing I'd recommend buying at a "real" hardware store. I've gone through three sets of HF snap ring pliers and every one broke on the first or second use.

The pinch clamp on the shift shaft is a 10mm.
The allen bolts that hold the shifter bracket are 5mm (as are all the bolts on the case covers). The shifter bracket bolts do double duty as gear cover bolts also.

Just today I bought a 6pc set of 3/8 drive hex keys from HF. The 5mm one rounded off two of my case screws that had never been a problem using old fashioned Sears L wrenches. Fortunately I found a SAE size that still had enough bite to get them out. So yeah, HF quality can be kind of sketchy.

The pinch clamp on the shift shaft is a 10mm bolt and the clamp and shaft have a dimple mark on them for correct reinstallation, just thought I would throw this bit of info in since it sounds like you are removing the shift mechanism.

The foot pedal itself is held on with a snap ring. You'll need snap ring pliers to remove it. Those are one thing I'd recommend buying at a "real" hardware store. I've gone through three sets of HF snap ring pliers and every one broke on the first or second use.

Thanks. Just went and picked up a set at Ace.

Buy 2-3. I keep one with my onboard tool kit at all times.

Buy crafstman tools at sears. you can't beat the waranty . break it take it back no questions asked. but then i only live 2 blocks away from a sears store.
i do have a cracked socket from harbor feight. i'm going there today. to see if they will replace it.
get a manual for your vmax. well worth having.

harbor freight exchanged my cracked socket. no questions asked. so they get a big thumbs up from me.

Latest posts

Back