What exactly changed in '03?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Hi,

As my first official question on this forum I would like to ask what exactly changed with the 2003 VMAX's engine. Everywhere I look it says that "the engine block was slightly redesigned".

Does this mean that they simply put matte paint on the block or did they change something more than just cosmetics?

If anyone could tell me what specifically was changed it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Connor

WHAT !!! Something changed? No body asked me if they could change anything!
My guess is... the price.

Yeah , I far as I know most the changes had been made by then.(bigger forks) and the seat issue was solved in 2010 ( the MAXGASSER)

I have seen on numerous sights that the engine block was changed somehow, albeit the descriptions are all vague.

Sean will know , He's the go to Vmax guy. other then the oil filter , fork size , and improved second gear , I know of nothing. but like I said Sean is the go to guy for that tech stuff. I just know good seats.

I believe oil pickup design changed in '03.

I believe you are right. I think they were trying to fix the "oring" issue with it. Also wasn't the block a bit "beefier" around the cylinder water jacket? I remember PCW saying they only liked blocks above a certain year.

96 is the only year that anyone needs to remember. Spin on filter and more internal webbing.

Sean

Hi,

As my first official question on this forum I would like to ask what exactly changed with the 2003 VMAX's engine. Everywhere I look it says that "the engine block was slightly redesigned".

Does this mean that they simply put matte paint on the block or did they change something more than just cosmetics?

If anyone could tell me what specifically was changed it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Connor

When did they change the starter clutch (from built up from discs to monolithic)? Seems like an important improvement too ?

Starter clutch has always been the "3" spring pressure rollers. We do have a conversion that changes this to many more then that in a "sprag" configuration.

My mistake, should have been "shift segment" of course. But that was 1999:

1999 Back to polished wheels and fork outer tubes. Carbon Fiber look for fenders. The shift segment which fastens to the end of the shift drum was upgraded. Early models would have pins falling out because bendable tabs retained them. A dropped pin prevented you from being unable to shift/downshift from certain gears depending on which pin(s) fell out. In '99 they changed it to a single piece to prevent this.

the lettering on the speedo and instrument cluster was changed and red line went to be 9000 instead of 9500

Back