what happened to 4th gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoNat

Reaction score
according to my shifter/transmission, 4th gear no longer exists... 1,2,3 all ok, try 4th - no one home, then up to 5th... no problem. anyone find my 4th gear laying around their garage? or maybe someone would have a suggestion of how to fix this? that might work, too :rofl_200:

+1

Shift segment missing a tooth, err pin, umm peg? no matter what you call it, time to upgrade to a newer one.

somtimes the shifter is slamed hard during a session of going through the power band. when this happens alot on a vmax engine ,one of the many weak points is the shift forks bending slightly enough to not engage the full shift throw from one gear to another giving you a false neutral .some times adjusting the shifter linkage will help but not always. best to you all buckridge

shift segment is round thing with holes...

do i need to replace this and the plate with the teeth and the dowels?:ummm:

looks like #s 6,8,7s... what about 5? :confused2:

Attachments

• SHIFT_CAM_-_FORK.jpg
    SHIFT_CAM_-_FORK.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 19
shift segment is round thing with holes...

do i need to replace this and the plate with the teeth and the dowels?:ummm:

looks like #s 6,8,7s... what about 5? :confused2:

Here is the part numbers for the upgraded shifter segment.

4NK-18185-00-00, SEGMENT (only need 1)
93604-12037-00 PIN, DOWEL (Need 5)
93604-16092-00 PIN, DOWEL (Only need 1)

thanks, dude :worthy:

thanks for being super helpful!!

I wouldn't order it just yet. If a pin came out (which can happen to the 85-98 models) then you would not be able to go into 5th. Pull the clutch out and look in behind it. Then you may be able to look into the gears through the view hole back there too.

Sean

I wouldn't order it just yet. If a pin came out (which can happen to the 85-98 models) then you would not be able to go into 5th. Pull the clutch out and look in behind it. Then you may be able to look into the gears through the view hole back there too.

Sean

5th works ok... any suggestions on 4th if not the pin?

Could be ripped off teeth from the dogs on the gear. Check the pins first and watch the action of the segment to see if it moves around correctly. Then look into the trans as I noted. Drain the oil pan and look for anything you can find in there. It may require dropping the pan to look for chunks of the dogs too. We've only had that happen once and pics are in the facebook section under the broken stuff tab (if I remember right).

Sean

Latest posts

Back