What happens if i don't have fork oil and is it ok to mix fork oils?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the of the process of installing progressive springs, lowering kit and ricor intiminators on my -00 max. I'm filling it up and realise that the bottle i bought won't be enough for two forks. Now the problem is that I'm from Sweden and I only bought 32 ounces AmSoil 5wt oil with my intiminators and I don't want to wait another 2 weeks before riding my bike.

This means that I've only got 16ounces per fork and that I can't get the 4.8" air, in fact I'm far from it. So would it be ok to ride with lower fork oil levels and what happens if i mix two fork oil brands? Should i maybe put one brand in one fork and another in the other fork?

Unless I am mistaken, you can use any hydraulic oil such as automatic transmission fluid or Power Steering fluid. I would use the ATF and order the extra quart of fork oil, them replace it all at the same time.

I'm pretty sure Sean has been using ATF in all his fork installs for a while now. Probably don't mix them, though. You don't want one to be just enough heavier to settle (I think).

We use full synthetic power steering or full synthetic auto trans fluid.

You can however usually mix different viscosity of fluid though usually from the same brand (usually mixed before pouring into the forks). Probably ok to mix other brands but this can cause different things to happen like foaming or other stuff.

ATF oil will work. Just be sure you get a low viscosity for the ricor valves else your forks will really become stiff. More important be sure you have the correct amount of air.

What viscosity is the ATF? Ricor recommends 5wt but I run 10wt Silkolene which seems to work fine for me. I have spring rate adjuster caps from Sean but at the limit of adjustment until I can change up the spacer to a little longer one. I may end up with the 5wt oil back in there after stiffening up the spring rate.

What viscosity is the ATF? Ricor recommends 5wt but I run 10wt Silkolene which seems to work fine for me. I have spring rate adjuster caps from Sean but at the limit of adjustment until I can change up the spacer to a little longer one. I may end up with the 5wt oil back in there after stiffening up the spring rate.
7.5W if I remember the one I used once.

The directions that came with my progressive full length springs said to only put in 5.5" from top of fork tube fully compressed with out springs in it so that would be less fork oil not sure about the lowering set up or how many oz that would be.

7.5 wt average.

Back