What happens when ..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
You take a slightly dodgy bicycle shock pump, an 11mm spanner and a 0-30 psi 1/8 BSPT guage? (oh it also need a bench vice as the gauge is screwed in damn tight)
DSC_1471.jpg

The answer ; a pump suitable for Vmax forks. If you don't have a shock pump, £10 will get you one off ebay, £5 for the gauge so a fraction of the price for a bespoke motorcycle fork pump.
DSC_1472.jpg

it would be nice to have something with a bit more finesse 🙂 , I use our double barrel foot pump but with my hands, I squeeze it about three quarters of its movement which puts in about 15psi, then I let it down to about 12psi

That's why I posted this.

I tried a foot pump but it was useless and probably not that accurate

Mountain bike shock pumps tend to go to 200-300 psi so again difficult to get accurate pressure especially since some start at 10 psi.

I used one of those to set pressure, RH was 14psi, LH was 0. (not sure if that is leaking)

There is 0-15 psi gauge available.

I usually use a Zefal bicycle frame pump.
I also use a bicycle pump to pressure hydraulic systems, but use it on my brakes and clutch (car and bike) no doubt I could adapt it for forks. It’s a combination of bicycle pump with gauge and cheap pressured bleeding system. Works a treat, pumped out the car at 40 psi.

The set up below is obviously getting used for the car 🚗 at this moment. If you take an old Yam lid from the bike fluid filling area, drill a hole and attach the pressure hose (I do this) then you can pump new fluid round the system. I’m not discounting reverse bleeding as I always finish off the Vmax hydraulic fluids with a reverse bleed to free off any minute bubbles lurking in the system, and they are there.

Attachments

• AA6D3BDA-DC3C-49BA-A32F-8FCB03A53A63.jpeg
    AA6D3BDA-DC3C-49BA-A32F-8FCB03A53A63.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back