what has happend to the forum

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admit it - VMAX is dying. Handfull of oldtimers gathering around. New gen VMax is just a joke and off production anyway. I tried to find mechanic in LA to change head gasket gen1 V max- no one want to do it, even for $800. Looking to buy M109 or M90 when my Vmax RIP. Just realised that i was on Max for 6 years!!! and enjoy the forum!

Its not dying! Just because some chicken $hit mechanic is afraid to work on your VMAX doesn't mean its dying. As for buying a M109.....I have to laugh, I just sold mine three days ago, great bike but definitely not a VMAX. I've owned two Gen 1s and now am the proud owner of a 2018....and I love it! Here's my advice to you, change that head gasket yourself! take pictures while you're taking it apart, get a service manual and by GOD if you run into any problems....WE ARE HERE TO HELP!!! You can do it!

Admit it - VMAX is dying. Handfull of oldtimers gathering around. New gen VMax is just a joke and off production anyway. I tried to find mechanic in LA to change head gasket gen1 V max- no one want to do it, even for $800. Looking to buy M109 or M90 when my Vmax RIP. Just realised that i was on Max for 6 years!!! and enjoy the forum!

At a dyno'd 197 RWHP, my Gen2 sure as hell isn't dying. I can't park my bike anywhere without people asking me about it. Sure, it's a bit of a 'cult' bike but that's the 'cool factor'.... Plus it's SO much fun picking on and making fun of the Harleys. If you can't find someone to work on it, either you're not looking very hard or just don't care. I live in TN and there are more than enough qualified people who work on them. Yes, they are a hard bike to work on, but so what???? The thrill of it FAR supersedes the difficulty factor. Sounds like the VMax just isn't for you. Ride safe.

Vmax dying, I DON'T THINK SO ! I've owned a dozen harleys, a Yamaha raider that was at the time the best bike ever , until mr max crossed my path, the styling,horsepower, torque, it's truly in a class of its own. Ultimate power bike.
IT'S fun playing with the harleys, some are aware of the max. Others get a one point lesson, lol

I’ve had my Max for 6yrs now. I’ve put 70,000 kms on it. Purchased it with 32,000 km. Recently had carbs tuned for first time and valve shims done. Mechanic said it’s lost 5% in compression since new and still pulls as hard as his own Vmax. Over my time I’ve had Speedometer just packed it in, clutch plates changed, thermo fan replaced, rear shocks replaced, front forks seals replaced twice and regular 5000km oil changes. Haha, this Max will die with me ! I plan on getting a gen 2 and a rebuild of my gen 1

Not sure it's dying. It's a rare bike, has a cult following, and you either know what it is, or you don't. Every where I go I catch people rubber necking, and giving compliments. I rode my 97 to Helen GA, had two sport touring riders approach, I had a 4 to 1, and vboost switched open so it idled with a lope. They asked me to rev it up, once I did all eyes were on me. They walked away with a grin saying it sounded like a car. I just put an old guy and his porche in his place riding out of cashiers NC last weekend with my 18. The second gen definitely turns more heads than my 1st. Gen did. It's not like Harley where you seen 1 you seen them all, and they all sound exactly the same, same with sport bikes. The max is definitely in a class of it's own. I ran next to a mustang also never down shifted from 5th gear, just kept twisting the throttle. I was running 65 and he was closing fast, once I saw his front bumper in my peripheral, I just opened it up a little he never passed as hard as he tried I kept right next to his driver door, and then I just went wot and pulled away from him, about a half mile I let off and let him go, all while in 5th gear. I was getting my 97 inspected I still lived in NY then, and a young kid comes up asking questions about it. Then he asked how fast it was, I told him it tops out about 150. He laughed said his nighthawk would run 150, so when I left, I left in a cloud of smoke. I was following a m109 boss one day, barley ran down a mustang that was passing him. I laughed.

'modern' mechanics like modern bikes because they can plug them in and a machine tells them what needs to be done, older bikes take brain power, the ability to think and be involved,
long live involvement :cool:

PUTIN - Stop whining and go back to drinking your vodka and eating kielbasa. I own a M109R and it's a baaaaaad MF. But it's a refined horse. The VMAX 1200 is a wild stallion! Always has been always will be! Come on over and smell the exhaust and burnt rubber smell behind me and then tell me it's dead!

I am selling my Gen1, but not because I dont like the looks of the bike, but because I threw a bunch of money at a 300 kit and got burned. I gotta have a 240 or bigger on the back. I had a Vmax for 8 years, sold it, missed it so bought another one. They are great bikes period.

I am selling my Gen1, but not because I dont like the looks of the bike, but because I threw a bunch of money at a 300 kit and got burned. I gotta have a 240 or bigger on the back. I had a Vmax for 8 years, sold it, missed it so bought another one. They are great bikes period.
To Putin,

Right on the money!!! My Maxes, had 3, have not been the easiest to own by far. My FJR was flawless, but the MAX is in a league of it's own. Remember all the huff from VRod owners that the MAX was copied from it!!! Really????? That was amazingly fun STOMPING show every episode. :)

Last edited:
To Putin,

Right on the money!!! My Maxes, had 3, have not been the easiest to own by far. My FJR was flawless, but the MAX is in a league of it's own. Remember all the huff from VRod owners that the MAX was copied from it!!! Really????? That was amazingly fun STOMPING show every episode. :)
OMG, I would have loved to see a post like that. HD owners have their heads stuck so far up their asses it's amazing they haven't all perished from asphyxiation.

Dying ?, try taking an a Goldwing with some years behind it and go to dealer to get service and parts.! There is a thing called “planned obsolescence”. Gen 1 went 22 years practically unchanged. Royal Enfield may be only bike with a longer run ! Dying ?, have you seen pictures from the 30 th anniversary in Europe ?

Dying, definately not mate. For my part I've owned and customized all types of bikes for many years, but still love that 'Max has a great looking, powerful grunty engine (without the plethora of unwanted electronics and the hassle that comes with them), sounds like nothing else and is the original muscle bike. All the other bikes I have sold on, but not this one. The fun is upgrading them to your own taste. I went into my local bike shop yesterday, the place was full of bikes in the workshop, including 4 Gen 1 max's... All looking mint, so dying they are not.. There is still some good mechanics out there, in fact the ones in there like working on them, but if not with the help of this forum a lot can be done yourself, the guys on here have saved me many hours of work and many a skinned knuckle.

Dying, definately not mate. For my part I've owned and customized all types of bikes for many years, but still love that 'Max has a great looking, powerful grunty engine (without the plethora of unwanted electronics and the hassle that comes with them), sounds like nothing else and is the original muscle bike. All the other bikes I have sold on, but not this one. The fun is upgrading them to your own taste. I went into my local bike shop yesterday, the place was full of bikes in the workshop, including 4 Gen 1 max's... All looking mint, so dying they are not.. There is still some good mechanics out there, in fact the ones in there like working on them, but if not with the help of this forum a lot can be done yourself, the guys on here have saved me many hours of work and many a skinned knuckle.

I still get skinned knuckles scars on scars

Back