what is he selling?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Grey alien to Borg 4, Check!"
(opponent tips-over his piece)

Or, "Ripley-exoskeleton to face-clamper 3, checkmate!"

movie-chess-board.jpg

...polished them to a chrome like finish. MUCH higher quality finish then chrome

I've never seen polished aluminum that has a higher quality finish then chrome before. I still haven't

But, to play the devil's advocate, it will make someone a nice backrest.

I like the warmth and nickle like finish of polished parts and I see the pluses with polished parts but I wouldn't compare it to chrome which is very white and sparkly and mirror-like. I recondition parts for resale and can attest to the labor involved in polishing these three pieces. I remove the casting flash and recontour things a touch so that adds work but I would guess most guys just send their parts off for chrome or powder coat and are happy. To me a good chrome job starts with a killer polish job so it should cost more than just a polished part. Again this is a subjective thing as far as taste goes. I can keep a piece of chrome looking good easier with less maintenance but you can't "fix" failing chrome.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

I like the warmth and nickle like finish of polished parts and I see the pluses with polished parts but I wouldn't compare it to chrome which is very white and sparkly and mirror-like. I recondition parts for resale and can attest to the labor involved in polishing these three pieces. I remove the casting flash and recontour things a touch so that adds work but I would guess most guys just send their parts off for chrome or powder coat and are happy. To me a good chrome job starts with a killer polish job so it should cost more than just a polished part. Again this is a subjective thing as far as taste goes. I can keep a piece of chrome looking good easier with less maintenance but you can't "fix" failing chrome.

Ditto to all of that.........

I like the warmth and nickle like finish of polished parts and I see the pluses with polished parts but I wouldn't compare it to chrome which is very white and sparkly and mirror-like.

Exactly, Damn you and I think a like. My chopper had very little chrome on it. It was I'd say was about 95% polished and the rest chrome. I liked the way the engine and the transmission turned out. I like the rawness of polished aluminum, But no way would I compare it to chrome. Its like comparing candied apples to gummy oranges. :biglaugh:

This is an issue I have. Chrome is easy care, but polished alloy looks so tough.
I want easy care, but tough.
Why can't I be lazy AND tough? I need a slave.

I need a bunch of slaves. But, it's hard to feed my habit much less the habit of slaves too.

That was actually pretty funny, not a bad idea with the alien figures if you ask me. Not sure about his better than chrome comment but I think any potential buyer can see right past it. At the end of the day it's just a polished backrest and the price so far is within the "normal" range these things sell for.

Personally I'd rather have a chrome piece. Had polished frames before and it was a real pain to keep them looking good, chrome on the other hand very easy to maintain.

Considering everything on his website has around 5 pages of text to describe it, a few paragraphs on a stock backrest isn't so bad. I have an OEM backrest, and didn't notice any "flaws" on it from the factory. It's not a Harley part.

Wonder what the reserve is....considering $280 is about what it's actually worth, on a good day.

Considering everything on his website has around 5 pages of text to describe it, a few paragraphs on a stock backrest isn't so bad. I have an OEM backrest, and didn't notice any "flaws" on it from the factory. It's not a Harley part.

Wonder what the reserve is....considering $280 is about what it's actually worth, on a good day.

Maybe he means casting flaws?
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a good bit more than that.

Maybe he means casting flaws?
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a good bit more than that.

there are tons of casting flaws on these. my powdercoater took 3 coats to do mine because it kept bubbling up weird n stuff.

there are tons of casting flaws on these. my powdercoater took 3 coats to do mine because it kept bubbling up weird n stuff.

My factory scoops had plenty of tiny little voids in them that kept rearing their little pinheads the more I polished them. You had to look close but they were there..

I bough an extra one, sanded it down, then had it blasted/coated. Turned out better than the one on my bike. I ended up leaving mine on and selling the newly coated on. Shoulda kept it.

I am not telling you guys anything most of you don't already know. I've never com across a "nice" piece of factory cast aluminum. I'm doing a shifter right now and probably have three or four hours of filing, sanding, bending, and polishing and it ain't done yet! I'll never get out of it what I got in it but I enjoy the work, but will never have misconceptions that the part is solid gold after its redone. I suppose the Alien song and dance works on Newbies or those that have plenty O cash to blow. If that works for Jon and increases his sales, good for him. I don't think he is outright lying or misrepresenting himself or the product in this case. That may not be true with some exhaust systems he sold in the past but he is serving the Vmax community and I think is here to stay. Maybe he pays someone to write the soliloquy for every item he sells. I must say he has been predictable and consistent with the sales pitches. Damn, I think I went off topic. Sorry guys.
Hope it bids up over $400 bucks, then maybe my stuff will sell for more!

Latest posts

Back