what is the best exhaust sys. for v max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooooh, yeah! VERY nice look'n. In fact, i kinda regretted getting my SS 4-2 from Mark after seeing those pic's!

PCW or Marks does stepped headers. Actually I think mark makes them for pcw. I know a couple guys who have a 4-1 stepped header. a 4-1-2 is also available

http://pcwracing.net/

or check out this one by pcw, scroll down a ways to see pics

http://imageevent.com/wforest/spanishflyermyvmax

Does anyone make a full exhaust system with STEPPED head pipes for the V-max? The best performing exhaust systems for the big bore crotch rockets all use stepped headpipes. Their head pipes ID/OD steps up to a larger size(which it carries the rest of the way back) about 8" out from the exhaust flange.

PCW 4-1-2

stepped header

Attachments

• pcw%20headers%202 (2).jpg
    pcw%20headers%202 (2).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 190
  • PCW%20Pipes%201.jpg
    PCW%20Pipes%201.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 21510PCW4-1-2%20%20system%20a%20great%20challenge%20for%20all.jpg
    21510PCW4-1-2%20%20system%20a%20great%20challenge%20for%20all.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 197
I looked at those pics and the links. Can't tell much on the rear two cyl, but the head tubes do not look to be stepped. When i had my crossover tube modified by Mark on the exhaust i got from him, i asked him if he had tried using stepped head pipes. He said that he had not. This was 3 or so months ago though.

In the spanishflyer limk the pic comes up larger and is easier to see.

I can see the stepped header.

I wonder if mark doesnt want to deal with custom headers. I had asked him about doing a 4-1-2 for me, he didnt want to take it on.

I know for a fact mark made a stepped 4-1 for someone who i will not name.

PCW also made one for the same guy. Which he tells me he believes it actually came from mark.

I looked at those pics and the links. Can't tell much on the rear two cyl, but the head tubes do not look to be stepped. When i had my crossover tube modified by Mark on the exhaust i got from him, i asked him if he had tried using stepped head pipes. He said that he had not. This was 3 or so months ago though.

Yeah, i checked that link. Also loaded up the pics and blew them up. I don't see the steps, just joints where they are welded. The rear two cyl look like they step up, but found two other good views and saw that it was actually a slip-joint.
The description says its "increasing size piping"(or something close to that), which would lead me to think it steps up. But just stepping up at each collector could mean the same thing. No matter. I don't like the 4-1 collector at all, especially the very small ID outlet of that collector.
Personally i would like a 4-2-1 or 4-2-1-2. Too bad the V-4 arrangement makes this a tubing nightmare. That PCW setup looks neat, but hampers turning alot as well as ground clearance.

The outfit that makes the vmax EFI also makes a 4-1-2 or 4-2-1-2 cant remember, i cant find the link. it has a lot less plumbing than the pcw.

anyone here have the link to the german manufacturer of the vmax efi. im not referring to wildbros, iam referring to the company that makes what he sells.

Yeah, i checked that link. Also loaded up the pics and blew them up. I don't see the steps, just joints where they are welded. The rear two cyl look like they step up, but found two other good views and saw that it was actually a slip-joint.
The description says its "increasing size piping"(or something close to that), which would lead me to think it steps up. But just stepping up at each collector could mean the same thing. No matter. I don't like the 4-1 collector at all, especially the very small ID outlet of that collector.
Personally i would like a 4-2-1 or 4-2-1-2. Too bad the V-4 arrangement makes this a tubing nightmare. That PCW setup looks neat, but hampers turning alot as well as ground clearance.

i am planning on buying a set of marks pipes and i had some questions:ummm:? the 4-2-1 of Nobody's are those stainless or ceramic , and what length and baffle is the muffler? looks nice:biglaugh:

On the stepped header. I think I may have one but it won't fit the vmax chassis as it was designed for a vmax engine in a midget dirt track car. I do believe they found that a header with 26" primaries made the optimum power. I don't remember the tubing size.

Sean

Mark's is "stepped" in that its a 4-2-1 system. I'm refering to the actual diameter of the head pipes being "stepped" in that they leave the head one diameter and then 8 or so inches out they stepup in diameter.
This design keeps good low end tq and midrange, but allowing beter flow up top. The best exhaust manufacturers all do this on their best performing 1000cc and up sportbikes. I doubt there would be big advantages of this type of pipe on stk motored V-max's(vs whats typically available), but as the motor size increased, i'm sure the advantage would as well.

My Marks system is "stepped". The pipe diameter increases as it gets closer to the muffler.

hey nobody!:worthy: i had some questions about your pipes. are they stainless? what baffle is that?:ummm: what length of can ? is it livable on the loud scale?:confused2:
i am thinking of using marks and like your set especially that baffle.:punk:

hey nobody!:worthy: I had some questions about your pipes. Are they stainless? no what baffle is that?:ummm: mark makes it. what length of can ? 14" is it livable on the loud scale? maybe :confused2:
I am thinking of using marks and like your set especially that baffle.:punk:

ok?

thanks good answers.:biglaugh: how big is the baffle 2" 2 1/2" ? :ummm: i am going for a 4into 2 . also is your pipe ceramic coated, it looks so shiny?

Let me know what mark says. I have a stainless 4in2 with 12'' cans big tubes not recommended for stock motor thhough. New never installed. thanks In michigan

No one has mentioned UFO.

Is the system too loud or what's the scoop on that system?

I watch the youtube video of that guy in the garage w/ the UFO exhuast every night. It sounds just like a muscle car and shakes the camera!

I'd love to hear people opinions on it..

I also think he has a stage 7 with it.
________
vapor tower vaporizer

Last edited:

I watch the youtube video of that guy in the garage w/ the UFO exhuast every night. It sounds just like a muscle car and shakes the camera!

I wish a had a camera last night when it was on the dyno. Ive heard people sat that it is raspy but Ive heard them say the same thing about the kerker as well. Anyway the sound was like no other. I was standing about 5ft away from it while it was on there & thinking to myself it cant get any louder as the rpms climbed but it did. But I enjoy loud stuff. I love the 4th of july, sprint car races at knoxville when you can see your buddys mouth moving but you cant hear what hes saying. other than being TOO rich I just wanted to know where I was. & I was actually kind of surprised. now its time for the stage.

because not too many people like jon, he's screwed over too many people, he has poor customer service.

And his system sounds like crap IMHO, the majority seems to agree,

these would be the reason no one has suggested his system

Latest posts

Back