What is the difference between bias & Radial tires?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
Why do radials offer superior performance compared to bias tiers?

Ibrahim, I think part of it is because of the bigger footprint and that the sidewalls for bias-ply are taller.

But why would it have a larger foot print? for the same size tire? and how does a taller sidewall affect handling?

maleko89 said:
Ibrahim, I think part of it is because of the bigger footprint and that the sidewalls for bias-ply are taller.

The bias ply has taller sidewall so you can't corner as easy. Radials are more rounded so easier to corner. It's hard for me to explain, it's easier to see if both tires are side by side. I remember riding Kloker's bike. Just shifting in the seat caused the bike to lean and turn the bike a bit.

Bias tires have stiffer side wall and instead of flexing during a turn they break away. take a look at the attachments.
also bias tires are heavier because the have more rubber, radials are stronger yet more flexible at the side wall so the tire stays put on the road surface, less rubber on radials require less warm up time vs bias ply.
Radials also absorb road irregularities much better than bias provided it has enough side wall , lower profile radials will act in a similar way to bias ply.
the attachment on the Lt is bias ply, Rt is radial, see how it remains on the road surface.

Attachments

• bias-ply tire.gif
    bias-ply tire.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 12
  • radial tire.gif
    radial tire.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 12
  • tire-construct.gif
    tire-construct.gif
    11 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
firefly said:
Bias tires have stiffer side wall and instead of flexing during a turn they break away. take a look at the attachments.
also bias tires are heavier because the have more rubber, radials are stronger yet more flexible at the side wall so the tire stays put on the road surface, also less rubber on radials require less warm up time vs bias ply.
Radials also absorb road irregularities much better than bias provided it has enough side wall , lower profile radials will act in a similar way to bias ply.
the attachment on the Lt is bias ply, Rt is radial, see how it remains on the road surface.

Interesting!! I would have thought the bias ply would flex more with the higher side wall.

Exactly Buster, The myth circulating is " bias tires flex" and that radials do not. the opposite is true, bias tires do not flex and break loose easier in a turn while radials flex to keep the contact patch firm on the pavement, BUT if you use a very short radial profile it will act as the bias and could brake loose.
That tire flexing that happens with radials offer better shock absorbing and is easier on the suspension components and gives a more sure footed contact patch

Buster Hymen said:
Interesting!! I would have thought the bias ply would flex more with the higher side wall.

Last edited:
Both tires flex. The radial is so engineered that the sidewalls allow the foot print to lay flat on the road in a curve. The bias also flexes but rolls to one side of the tire, making the foot print smaller. The construction of both tires is fundamentally totally different and no doubt soon will see the end of the bias era.

Back