What kind of aftermarket rear shocks are you running?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, jumping on an old post. looking for new rear shocks. not a hard rider. No track, no drag racing, just interstate and some tearing around the back roads and route 66 when I get the urge. I do push the bike in a straight line when no one's around, but not racing. So I don't think I need white power like Maxmidnight, and not really sure if I need 444s like Mr Morley recommends. but I do want safety, good quality, minimal maintenance in the future and of course some good looks. I want to ride the bike not work on it and not think about "did I go cheap and screw up" after I fix something. I agree with Mr Morley the all chrome looks nice, this is for a 98 which has had a hard life apparently. Previous owner had RFY piggy backs ... bushings gone, stiff as rocks, and I just don't trust them.

I also want to make sure I preserve clearance for the expanded fuel tank option in the future. I understand you need to have full clearance for one of those.

looking at:
- stock oem from partzilla at about $450ish for the pair (probably chrome on black I'm guessing)
- progressive 444s all chrome at $600+ a pair
- jbs 340mm (10mm past 13") at $140ish (Hmmm ... if there good, why waste $ ... hence Im asking)
- Drag Specialties 13" Ride height adjustable shocks heavy duty chrome for $278 a pair.

JBS may be suspect at that price. but don't have any real differentiation on the other three other than price. open to any insights you may have.

Thanks ... Brett
Hears what I did to my vmax1200. get the heaviest fork oil change the fork oil seals then get rid of the back shocks I recommend the icons (used to be monitored they slow to a aussi company)the difference will shock you I know it did to me, also power commanders front and rear good luck safe riding.norman

Here's what I did, probably overkill for the street, but here goes. Started with full fork rebuild-- new bushings and oil and dust seals. And new triple tree bearings to get rid of wobble.

Then, Ohlins 13" rear shocks with Ohlins recommended initial compression, rebound and preload settings, RaceTech FRSP S3732090 (0.9 kg/mm) fork springs with Motul 20 weight fork oil, HyperPro steering damper (surely that's overkill). Did not do RaceTech emulators since once you drill the damper rods there is no going back. Figured I could add them later if need be.

I am 180 pounds with all gear on, ride fairly conservatively, and am using something like 60-70 mm of the 140 mm fork travel on easy rides.

Hope this is useful info.
Gtista

😂

Yep, the bird gets hungry once in a while (to tell ya the truth, I checked the mileage when my brother was just out here last week in Colorado to ride with me, and The Vmax was getting 48mpg so no complaints about her feeding habits).
48??? You push it half the time. 25 mpg on a slow day brother!!

My '05 came with no name Chinese 11 inch center to center rear shocks. Really bad idea. Handling was awful. Front wheel wanted to flop over at parking lot speeds, had to fight the bars to hold a line in a curve, and steering was very slow at speed. So, Ohlins 13 inch center to center rears plus RaceTech springs and Motul 20 wt fork oil. Now all is well.

Rear shock 1.jpgrear shock 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back