What kind of aftermarket rear shocks are you running?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rare lesser spotted long billed Vmax bird spotted in its natural habitat, the petrol/gas station.
😂

Yep, the bird gets hungry once in a while (to tell ya the truth, I checked the mileage when my brother was just out here last week in Colorado to ride with me, and The Vmax was getting 48mpg so no complaints about her feeding habits).

I had my 2002 set up by a professional for track use last time i was at the track. the ride is very harsh on the street. going down the road the bike bounces around so much it blurs my vision. i want to install an aftermarket suspension. i wanted to start out by replacing the rear shocks. does anyone have any recommendations? i enjoy riding at a decent pace.
I roadraced the ama250 gp class years ago and a number of others I don't see how anyone could set up a VMAX it's a death trap on a racetrack if your riding it where the frame is twisting

Hi all, jumping on an old post. looking for new rear shocks. not a hard rider. No track, no drag racing, just interstate and some tearing around the back roads and route 66 when I get the urge. I do push the bike in a straight line when no one's around, but not racing. So I don't think I need white power like Maxmidnight, and not really sure if I need 444s like Mr Morley recommends. but I do want safety, good quality, minimal maintenance in the future and of course some good looks. I want to ride the bike not work on it and not think about "did I go cheap and screw up" after I fix something. I agree with Mr Morley the all chrome looks nice, this is for a 98 which has had a hard life apparently. Previous owner had RFY piggy backs ... bushings gone, stiff as rocks, and I just don't trust them.

I also want to make sure I preserve clearance for the expanded fuel tank option in the future. I understand you need to have full clearance for one of those.

looking at:
- stock oem from partzilla at about $450ish for the pair (probably chrome on black I'm guessing)
- progressive 444s all chrome at $600+ a pair
- jbs 340mm (10mm past 13") at $140ish (Hmmm ... if there good, why waste $ ... hence Im asking)
- Drag Specialties 13" Ride height adjustable shocks heavy duty chrome for $278 a pair.

JBS may be suspect at that price. but don't have any real differentiation on the other three other than price. open to any insights you may have.

Thanks ... Brett

First thing I'd say is don't bother with OE.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for but it is a balancing act. A vendor need to make a profit so if something cost less then less has gone into the development and manufacture of the part. Conversely pay top dollar and you will get a well developed and made component but do you need the performance of which it is capable?

Some manufacturers will match the spring weight to yours which should give a better ride out of the box but also some adjustment either side of that.
Do you need to be able to adjust the damping or to put it another way, don't pay for something you won't use.

Apart from the Progressives (which I haven't read anything bad about) I don't know any of the other shocks so suggest you go for the best they can or want to afford. Stick with a recognised name and buy from a reputable vendor who has been in the market for some time.

First thing I'd say is don't bother with OE.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for but it is a balancing act. A vendor need to make a profit so if something cost less then less has gone into the development and manufacture of the part. Conversely pay top dollar and you will get a well developed and made component but do you need the performance of which it is capable?

Some manufacturers will match the spring weight to yours which should give a better ride out of the box but also some adjustment either side of that.
Do you need to be able to adjust the damping or to put it another way, don't pay for something you won't use.

Apart from the Progressives (which I haven't read anything bad about) I don't know any of the other shocks so suggest you go for the best they can or want to afford. Stick with a recognised name and buy from a reputable vendor who has been in the market for some time.

thanks Mr Midnight.

also -- ran a cross a couple shots of your bike -- was wondering if you have a portfolio of your bike pics out there somewhere. Looking for Ideas. would like to see your "dash" if you have a pic.

No public portfolio but here is the dash. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to see.

Gauges---On.jpg

Main instrument is a Koso Rx2n, can't recall the make of the water and oil pressure indicators but the last time I looked they were no longer available.

No public portfolio but here is the dash. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to see.

View attachment 92477

Main instrument is a Koso Rx2n, can't recall the make of the water and oil pressure indicators but the last time I looked they were no longer available.
Thanks, is a volt meter anywhere? Wanting to keep eye on battery and charging. Also, is the windscreen noticably helpful for wind deflection or mainly to protect the instruments

Thanks, is a volt meter anywhere? Wanting to keep eye on battery and charging. Also, is the windscreen noticably helpful for wind deflection or mainly to protect the instruments
No, I've never felt the need to monitor voltage. IMO an ammeter is more useful as it shows if the charging system is charging or discharging.
Depending where your paranoia lies you could substitute the oil pressure indicator for either volt or amp meter.

The screen keeps the wind off the chest which is of benefit on longer rides. Can't comment on rain protection as I don't ride when it's wet.

Latest posts

Back