What kind of aftermarket rear shocks are you running?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apsolus

Reaction score
I had my 2002 set up by a professional for track use last time i was at the track. the ride is very harsh on the street. going down the road the bike bounces around so much it blurs my vision. i want to install an aftermarket suspension. i wanted to start out by replacing the rear shocks. does anyone have any recommendations? i enjoy riding at a decent pace.

I sell the progressive products and would suggest the best you can afford. The 444's are great overall shocks for the money and ride quality you get (plus the only lifetime warrantied version).

I had my 2002 set up by a professional for track use last time i was at the track. the ride is very harsh on the street. going down the road the bike bounces around so much it blurs my vision. i want to install an aftermarket suspension. i wanted to start out by replacing the rear shocks. does anyone have any recommendations? i enjoy riding at a decent pace.
I had the Works street trackers shocks set up for my weight and riding style only problem was even with a discount they were expensive , front forks had Progressive springs !

I sell the progressive products and would suggest the best you can afford. The 444's are great overall shocks for the money and ride quality you get (plus the only lifetime warrantied version).
main thing im looking for is ride quality. id even be happy if the bike became soft. so long as i can ride it and not get punished for it. so the 444's are the way to go?

main thing im looking for is ride quality. id even be happy if the bike became soft. so long as i can ride it and not get punished for it. so the 444's are the way to go?
In my opinion yes. I do sell new but there is a sum total of one set at the warehouse last I checked (two days ago). I think a chrome 13" set ($650).

444's are sweet shocks. Once you get your suspension dialed in the way you like, and for your weight and riding style, the vmax ride is better than I ever anticipated. I went with 12 1/2" and they soak up bumps in the road and aid in handling much better than the originals. Many mods are costly, but this one is well worth it.

I like my Ohlins. But it’s my personal opinion and someone else may feel different about them.
They’re not too harsh for city driving and the handling of the bike is amazing.
No rear wheel slipping away on you in corners ( but I also have a radial tire mounted)
These shocks are also set based on rider’s weight.

oh so there is another thing to consider , the shock length. i m away from the bike till this weekend, what size is stock? and what size is ideal?

I like my Ohlins. But it’s my personal opinion and someone else may feel different about them.
They’re not too harsh for city driving and the handling of the bike is amazing.
No rear wheel slipping away on you in corners ( but I also have a radial tire mounted)
These shocks are also set based on rider’s weight.
so ohlins sells shocks that fit out bikes, huh? neat. can i see what they look like?

444's are sweet shocks. Once you get your suspension dialed in the way you like, and for your weight and riding style, the vmax ride is better than I ever anticipated. I went with 12 1/2" and they soak up bumps in the road and aid in handling much better than the originals. Many mods are costly, but this one is well worth it.
is 12.5 stock length?

I have Progressive 444s stock height with preload set pretty close to their recommendation. Progressive springs in the front and their 1 inch lowering springs and ricor intiminators and Sean Morleys adjustable preload fork caps. I just need to cut the spacer a bit more to take some preload out. Happy with handling just a bit hard at the forks until I adjust.

why did you choose to go shorter than stock?

Came with the bike (1997). Bike also came with frame braces, T-Boost, Super Fork Brace, removed mixture plugs, full Holeshot exhaust and mufflers, LED blinkers, rear passenger bar/pad, custom grips, polished radiator shrouds and a flyscreen.

Before I made it into a naked bike:
1631949151860.png

+1 on the Works Performance Street Trackers. Super for 2 up , sporty or single cruising with MULTIPLE adjustments. Pricey , but it will change your bike immensely.

Attachments

• Rollie's '90 VMax At The Dragon   50.jpg
    Rollie's '90 VMax At The Dragon 50.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back