What tires are you running on your Gen2?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlw1911

Reaction score
I'm confident this has been asked time and time again but I'm curious to ask again.

Considering new tires out now, what are you running on your Gen2?

pretty sure we all run shinkos. The dual compund bridgestones dont wear evenly and get shaped like a W where you lean across the soft-hard-soft compounds and just feels like sht. The shinkos wear better and more evenly. It's really annoying replacing tires every 2500 miles.

I did 3 sets of BattleAxes and made sure i kept the tire pressure high as well but nothing saved them. just a sht tire.

Shinko. I'm at 50k mi and is all I have run since I got the bike with 2500 mi from the
PO. I ride it more like a sport bike then a cruiser. 😁

Bought my 16 with 5500 miles a couple of months ago. It had BattleAxes which were not worn at all but I just could not get any grip with them. I have run Avon's on my Raider and really like them. Even though most everyone on here runs the Shinko Verge 011 because the grip. I wanted to try the Avon's first but they are pricier than the Shinks. So far so good on the Avon's but I really have not run them hard yet and that will be the real test. :cool:

I've had Avons and they work really well - the Cobra Chrome 240 and the Spirit ST 120. They are happy in the UK cool wet winter as well as the summer.

I've just fitted a Bridgestone Exedra Max 130 as I have the Otec Ali wheels and the rim is flared more than the stock steel one, so the extra tyre width fits better. Still scrubbing it in so I haven't had a chance to take it for a proper thrash yet.

AVON Cobra Chrome works for me when I race or ride on the road.

From the view you posted the tread pattern looks a lot like the Shinko 011.

I've always tried to run the same vendor / model tire Front and Rear.

Shinko verge. I get about 9 to 9500 on rear. I ware the sides out as much as the center

Just a heads up......the Avon Cobra is a taller tire, it affects handling and seat height. I personally did not like it and took it off in short order.

Others owners have been happy with it.

Running the 55 Avon on the rear here. I wanted to correct the speedo a bit, and the taller tire makes the profile a bit rounder too. I tried a dual compound heavy sport bike tire in front. Don't Do that! It handled great to about 1L miles, then wore the sides out and left the center section stupid tall. It's all but dangerous to ride. Single compound for a heavy bike on the front ONLY!

On the rear Avaon I've been happy. A bit more stick that the stock tire and it does drop cruise RPM a bit AND help the damn speedo. Which is just stupid off from the factory. Handled a tiny better, but I didn't see anything shocking there. I'm 6'1 so the extra height means nothing to me....

I'm about to grab an Avon front (love their warranty) or the Shinko front. Guess we'll see. I hear lots of love for the Shinko, but a matched brand seem more logical. Not sure I care. Lord knows the Shinko is a lot cheaper.

Anybody know which is the softer compound? I'd like to get 4K miles out of it, but otherwise grip is king on the front...

I am also running an Avon Cobra Chrome 55 and Avon Spirit on the front since they do not make a CC for the front. I only weigh 165, they do stick and handle very well with me but I only have about 1200 miles and the snake heads are pretty much gone. I just cannot get traction going straight and even getting on the throttle coming off turns. I have a Shinko Verge 011 ready to mount when the Avon is done. To say all that I am pretty pleased with Avon, I run them on my Raider and they also stick well with a 740 lb. bike.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back