What tools do you carry on your bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyg-5386

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I want to put together a decent toolkit for when I'm on the road on my bikes. What tools/parts do you guys carry when you do road trips?

These are in my Fork Bag at all times:
A Good Screw Driver with switchable Heads.
A Ratchet with 10mm, 12mm and 14mm Sockets.
A few different Size Metric Open End Wrenches that match Various parts on a VMax (I'd have to look to see what sizes).
A Set of Metric Allen Wrenches.
A Small Flat Head Screw Driver that fits my A/F Screws.
An Air Pressure Guage.
A Small box of Mixed Sized Fuses.

Very funny there Spurs....but true I guess. Thanks DMAN999..good suggestions.

Also perhaps..

A Spare turn signal bulb and headlight bulb
Small roll of electrical tape
2 extra sparkplugs
Adjustable pliers
A few various size plastic zip ties

I'm just trying to get an idea of the best tools to carry to help you in a pinch.

Both these guys wrote what I would have. I add a Cellphone and a way to charge it. Be sure to fuse that cigarette lighter adapter close to the battery! Look at your marine store for a water resistant one. Did anyone mention a pair of straight jaw vice grips? Maybe a couple of spare bulbs (head&taillight)wrapped in foam carried in the headlight shell. I once read about a guy who burned out his headlight, he removed the amber lenses from the turn signals & limped home on the light from the front running lights.

Would like to add, some electrial wire, heat shrink tubing, a few zip ties, tire plug kit, a small powerful LED flash light, duct tape.

Tire plug kit, compressor (mini)Fix a flat. Tools to remove wheels, (in case fix a flat doesn't work). Fuses. Charger for cellphone. Couple wrenches and screwdrivers.

But to be honest, if something bad goes wrong with these bikes, what ya gonna fix on the side of the road?

That's really the bare minimum: cash for bribes, zip ties, duct tape and a small LED flashlight.

Oh, and a phat cigar in case of after - oh Shit! moments..

Good post and suggestions. I really got to get a fork bag and set it up. All I have is the stock tool kit under the seat.

Just my factory tool kit AAA card ,visa card & cell phone charger. If im going on a trip I carry some tire plugs fixaflat and might grab a few other samll things. Guys remember your reguler car AAA is not good for bikes you have to have the RV AAA for the bikes & rv's

All great ideas. Also I'll take a list of the members listed in the VMF Roadside Assistance Program in the area I'll be in. A spare TCI box and 1 COP, tire plug kit and hand pump. The OEM tool kit plus two $20 bills in the tool bag just in case. 12 volt receptacle is a nice thing to have on your bike. It can charge my phone or helmet blue tooth for my GPS unit.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. I knew this would be a good topic with some interesting suggestions. I already have a marine type waterproof d/c receptacle on both of my bikes. I know that you can't repair anything catastrophic on the road. I was just looking for ideas that would answer the old "damn....if I only I had brought a _____."

Locally I use the factory tool kit, adding 2 of each fuse, phone charger, flashlight, spare key, electrical tape, tire gauge, pen & paper and leatherman.
On longer trips I add (on top of tools above) flashlight batteries, duct tape, wire, 14-16 ga electrical wire, posilocks, positaps wire stripers/ needle nose pliers, needle nose vice grips, screwdriver w/ multi tips and magnet extension, 1/4" drive ratchet w/ 8/10/12/14mm sockets, 8" adj wrench, file, wrenches 8/10/12/14mm, assorted hose clamps, spare H4 bulb, assorted zipties and medicine bottle with spare bolts washers, nuts, cotter pins to fit bike.
I really need to get a tire repair kit with air pump to add to the kit. What do you use for a air compressor? I found this one: Cycle Pump. It's not cheap though @ $100!
EDIT: I completly forgot about the allen wrenches, need to add that to the checklist.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I want to put together a decent toolkit for when I'm on the road on my bikes. What tools/parts do you guys carry when you do road trips?

Actually, there is a small toolkit in my bike under the passenger seat (there's a plastic cover held by a piece of strap, remove it, behind it is the kit)

I even think it's factory - looks like that

I only found it by accident, is it on all bikes?

Last edited:
Locally I use the factory tool kit, adding 2 of each fuse, phone charger, flashlight, spare key, electrical tape, tire gauge, pen & paper and leatherman.
On longer trips I add (on top of tools above) flashlight batteries, duct tape, wire, 14-16 ga electrical wire, posilocks, positaps wire stripers/ needle nose pliers, needle nose vice grips, screwdriver w/ multi tips and magnet extension, 1/4" drive ratchet w/ 8/10/12/14mm sockets, 8" adj wrench, file, wrenches 8/10/12/14mm, assorted hose clamps, spare H4 bulb, assorted zipties and medicine bottle with spare bolts washers, nuts, cotter pins to fit bike.
I really need to get a tire repair kit with air pump to add to the kit. What do you use for a air compressor? I found this one: Cycle Pump. It's not cheap though @ $100!
EDIT: I completly forgot about the allen wrenches, need to add that to the checklist.

take a look at this brian: http://www.stopngo.com/ i have their kit plus the compressor for long trips.

short trips -> factory bag plus some electrical tape, vice grips and a razor to strip wires

long trips -> above plus tire patch stuff, spare levers and mirror (bar end).

Latest posts

Back