What weight of oil.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what weight of oil

• 10-30

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 10-40

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • 20-50

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • other

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters

Traumahawk

Reaction score
LOL...definitely don?t want to get into the infamous "oil thread", but what weight of oil do yall recommend? I am currently running 10-40, but with Oklahoma summers getting up routinely over 100, I wonder if I should go to 20-50? I have always been told that once you go up in weight, you can?t really ever go back, or else you could start burning oil. Coldest temps might be down in the 20's in the winter but will get above freezing during the day, and Veronica is usually in the garage at night.

Thanks

Eric

I run 10-40 golden spectro semi synthetic, dinosaur base. No issues whatsoever

Rotella 15w-40w too.:) seems the trans like,s it shifting better. :)

so, i went shopping the other day for some oil and was gonna try the rotella because of what everyone has said so far, but got turned off when i read the word "deisel". i don't know much when it comes to it, but it seems not to bother y'all. can you explain to me why the word "deisel" on a jug if oil apparantly doesnt make a difference. thanks in advance for not raking me over the coals. lol

back to the original question, I recently switch from 20 / 50 to 10 / 40 and have not had a problem.. knock on wood.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28576/comparing-gasoline-diesel-engine-oils-

I ran rotella in my bike for a little while. Then things started to not feel right. So I went back to regular oil and things cleared right back up.
I'm not sure what happened or even if it was oil related. But is hasn't happened again since I went back to non diesel oil. To me the key is regular changing.
I change mine out once in the start of summer, after a couple months of spring riding and again before It goes into parked winter mode.

Others that use the Rotella, seem to love it, and swear by it. I've heard the added zinc is loved by the Vmax transmissions.

thanks kj, great read. exactly the amount of info i wanted. if one wants to subscribe to the analysis, it would seem that in the VMax case, one ought to only be concerned with the seals and such.

btw, i went from synthetic to conventional and love the smoothness of the shifts now, but like you, im starting to believe that fresh oil has more to do with it than synth vs dino. each of my synthetic oil changes had resulted in smoother shifts and the motor seemingly to perform better

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Shell Rotella T 15W40 is JASO MA rated as stated on the Jug and on their website which means that it is certified for use in Motorcycles and works well with our Wet Clutch System.
(JASO is an acronym that stands for "The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization." Among other things, they set standards for oil to be used in motorcycles.)

Here is the email from a Rotella engineer that I found on the Shell forums.

"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.

All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products."

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.

Last edited:
The anti-sheer additive is crucial for trannys. I guess as long as it's stamped on the jug it's all good.....Wait, is this turning into a never ending oil thread ? :biglaugh:

Diesel motor oil is designed for a lot of heat and also a lot of engine stress. Because it is designed for deisel, they don't advertise that it is safe for motorcycles. Apparently it will not damage the clutch like many car engine oils will. I have used Rotella 15W40 in my 1982 Maxim 1100 for years and never had any issues. And I ride it hard! I found my Maxim shifted better too. Not enough miles on my Max to know if it will be better. I only bought it just before I had to put it away for the winter :(.

I use Criscoe man its hard to pack that suff in the case & its hard to shift at first but man when that stuff warms up it really spins the bearings.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I use bacon grease, free's up horsepower and smells awesome!! LOL

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

baconhomer.jpg

Ok, all good answers and info...so next question....if I switch to 20/50 because of Oklahoma summers.....(over a hundred) is there a possibility of it hurting the Vmax? Will it add a couple pounds of pressure at hot idle? Will it offer more protection? Or am I better off doing Seans upgraded oil system and the like.

:ummm:

Back