what would be the best and the cheapest oil i can use for 07 vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdybrooks

Reaction score
ive always used yamalube but im kinda strapped for cash and dont know any alternative oils....plz help!

Cheapest? ANYTHING that doesn't say "Energy Conserving" will do, but I'd use a diesel oil. It has higher levels of zinc in them which the transmission likes.

Rotella T 15W40.

Chris

I use the Shell Rotella T synthetic oil and I can usually find it in the gallon for about $12 or $16 and it's great stuff.

I use the Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic, but the Dino 15W40 is cheaper.

Wally world sells it I think. Not sure as I won't shop there, but I've heard they do. They'd be the cheapest I'm sure. (unfortunately)

Mobil 1 M110 filter fits as well. Stay away from Frams if you can. Cheaper is NOT better here.

Chris

awesome! I did get the Yamaha filter instead of a fram , i didnt want to go cheap on that, im out the door to pick up some rotella 15w40 now!!! thanks!!

My local Wal-Mart is $11.50 for a gallon of the Rotella T dino and $19.50 for the Rotella T6 synthetic. I guess the names have been changed slightly since the addition of the Japan motorcycle spec.

Not as cheap as it used to be!! :damn angry:

I ran Rotella in mine for a bit. Although it ran well (no clutch issues) I noticed my engine was louder. It seems to be a popular oil among the sport bike crowds up here too.

I switched to maxlife synthetic blend,in 10w/40 flavor, from Valvoline and everything quieted down in the valvetrain department and still runs great with no slipping.

I now have it in all my vehicles and no issues.

I picked up a gallon jug for $17 at my local auto parts store. I think its cheaper at the Walmart.
progress.gif

I use the Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic, but the Dino 15W40 is cheaper.

Wally world sells it I think. Not sure as I won't shop there, but I've heard they do. They'd be the cheapest I'm sure. (unfortunately)

Mobil 1 M110 filter fits as well. Stay away from Frams if you can. Cheaper is NOT better here.

Chris
FYI my Advanced Auto carries Shell Rotella 15w40, it's a little more expensive than Wally World.
:rant: I buy most of my auto parts from Advanced Auto or one of the local auto parts store just so they stick around. We only have 5 auto parts stores (total!) in my area, we can't afford to lose one! Two of the stores are from the same company so not many choices. The Fastenal we have is only open M-F 8a to 5p! So I have to take time off of work to go there when their open. Life in a rural town is a inconvenient truth sometimes!:rant:

Rotella T 15w40 dino at Tractor Supply, 2 1/2 gal. -$31.99 ea.

I got 2 of them last year and brought them home on Sallymax...man, I was a rolling environmental disaster that didn't happen!! :rofl_200:

I got 2 of them last year and brought them home on Sallymax...man, I was a rolling environmental disaster that didn't happen!! :rofl_200:
Oh Crap! I completely forgot about our Tractor Supply store, I'll stop by there for my next oil changes since I already have enough to do my spring changes.
Thanks for the reminder BD!

That is still more ($12.80 gallon) than my local Wal-Mart at $11.50 gallon. Maybe Wal-Mart charges differently at different locations?

FYI my Advanced Auto carries Shell Rotella 15w40, it's a little more expensive than Wally World.
:rant: I buy most of my auto parts from Advanced Auto or one of the local auto parts store just so they stick around. We only have 5 auto parts stores (total!) in my area, we can't afford to lose one! Two of the stores are from the same company so not many choices. The Fastenal we have is only open M-F 8a to 5p! So I have to take time off of work to go there when their open. Life in a rural town is a inconvenient truth sometimes!:rant:
5 AUTO PARTS STORES!!!!! ive only got one within a 30 min range. Fastenal! we can order thru the vendor when he comes by the plant thats about it. some ppl have all the luck.:bang head:

5 AUTO PARTS STORES!!!!! ive only got one within a 30 min range. Fastenal! we can order thru the vendor when he comes by the plant thats about it. some ppl have all the luck.:bang head:
Yeah, I guess I should be thankful for what we have. I used to live in Atlanta and loved to camp and travel in the North Georgia/ W. N.C area. You have some great roads to ride in your part of the country!

Okay so I am gonna ask the dumb question here. So when yall are listing these oils, are these motorcycle specific oils or are you running regular old oil like I put in my truck.

I used Yamalube up until now. But screw that if I can get away with something cheaper and not from the stealership.

I used to run Royal Purple in my old bikes, then it started to get too pricey. I switched to Rotella diesel oil. It was relatively cheap and heard a lot of good feedback about it on the FZR forum I used to frequent. I haven't had my Max long enough to o a change yet, and what is in the site glass looks like the PO changed it pretty recently.

You are OK with any non energy conserving oils but diesel oils have zinc in them which our transmissions love and catalytic converters hate. Which is why car oils have next to no zinc in them.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Latest posts

Back