What year Venture Differential?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
I have a 1985 VMax and I keep hearing about swapping for a Venture differential to lower revs at highway cruising speeds. Is there any particular year of Venture I should look for (or avoid)?:ummm: Also, how much rpm change does this make at, say, 60 mph?

Last edited:
10% Change. 86-93 Venture. Some years have to be drilled and tapped for the shock stud but those years should be safe to do. i have a few on hand as well.

Sean

I used a 92 Venture diff and it bolted right up, with the exception of the shock. I did purchase the stud from Sean and had to drill the hole.
As for my RPM difference, I see an average of 400 rpm at the speeds above 60 MPH

Anything to look for on a used diff? Do they actually wear out or do they last 200k? What should a person replace before installing a used one?

Interesting mod for sure.

The weakest link on the diff is the pinion gear. They tend to break off the tip which leads to clunking sounds and eventual complete failure. There is no predicting when they will break either. Mileage doesn't seem to be the issue.

Sean

Will the Venture ratio change the powerband of the bike?
Would you get quicker acceleration or slower?
(my thought is slightly less "oomph" thru the gears)

10% Change. 86-93 Venture. Some years have to be drilled and tapped for the shock stud but those years should be safe to do. i have a few on hand as well.

Sean

Any reason why newer venture final drives would not work? Was there a change along the way?

Correct. After that the digital speedo pickup will need a plug for the hole or use that as the plug. The location for the stud will not be drilled so that will need done as well. You will lose some acceleration (I lost .3 tenths at the track which is at least 4-5 bike lengths.)

Sean

Sean

How much for one which requires no drilling, shipped to northern CA, near Sacramento? I'll have to see how I can budget.

I should have a few good units here. Looking at $250 with shipping or $200 exchanged with shipping if you want to send your old one back (cost you about $15 in a flatrate box). I will include a shock stud as well so you won't have to try and move yours over.

I should have a few good units here. Looking at $250 with shipping or $200 exchanged with shipping if you want to send your old one back (cost you about $15 in a flatrate box). I will include a shock stud as well so you won't have to try and move yours over.

OK, thanks. I will have to get back to you when I get my budgeting done. I'm pretty sure I want to do it, just need to scrape together some $$$.

:confused2: Well that looks like about $35 dollars after shipping for a good Vmax final drive. I'd keep my final drive, you may want to swap it out now and then for fun or when polishing one of them. You could also peddle it on Ebay for $100 or so. I have a 2000 Venture drive installed and it works fine. Just make a cover for the speedometer drive and you're good to go. Good Luck, Spurs

I would keep it too and put it on when you are going to do some fun running or dragstrip use.

Sean

Back